Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Newbie

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    40

    Default Newbie

    Hi Ladies and Gents

    Thought I would say hello and Introduce myself as I have been lurking around reading everyone's posts for the last month

    I got engaged in January and last week we booked Pollokshields Burgh Hall for 01/04/2016 (yes we're getting married on April Fools Day which our mums are not happy about!). Other than the venue and date we have nothing else organised so far!

    Steph x

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Hi steph!
    I too have been lurking about on this for a few months but decided to comment since im also getting married at Pollokshields! Set the date yesterday! Also have nothing else booked, or even how to have my day since there is so many options how are you getting on with your planning?

    Christina x

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowrietobe View Post
    Hi steph!
    I too have been lurking about on this for a few months but decided to comment since im also getting married at Pollokshields! Set the date yesterday! Also have nothing else booked, or even how to have my day since there is so many options how are you getting on with your planning?

    Christina x
    Hi Christina

    How exciting, another PBH bride, there don't seem to be that many of us!!!

    What date have you booked?

    We are hiring the whole place and getting married in the Clifford Hall, drinks in the Loggia (fingers crossed for good weather!) and then dinner and dancing in the Maxwell Hall with Stirling Room as a kind of breakaway area. What are you thinking on?

    I have absolutely nothing else organised yet but I am in the process of getting quotes and shortlisting caterers, another bride on here (Sofee 3) is also getting married there and gave me some great tips about the caterers though, which was a massive help!

    I have a couple of questions I need to ask the venue though as not sure if they have PA system for music or anything or if I will need to organise it all myself?. I know it's going to be a lot of work but I viewed so many venues and fell in love with this one straight away and also love that I can do everything exactly how I want it!!!!

    Can't wait to hear all your plans!

  4. #4
    Super Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Fife
    Posts
    551

    Default

    Hi and welcome!!

    Its so exciting to set the date and have the venue eh?

    Time really will fly in, we booked with 18 months to go and now we are just over 6!!

    Good luck with all the planning xx

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hells View Post
    Hi and welcome!!

    Its so exciting to set the date and have the venue eh?

    Time really will fly in, we booked with 18 months to go and now we are just over 6!!

    Good luck with all the planning xx

    Thanks!!!

    Yes, its exciting and it's a massive weight off my shoulders.

    6 months to go, I bet you're so excited

    Everyone keeps saying it will fly in and I didn't really believe them at first but I can't believe we've already been engaged for 3 months!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    11

    Default

    We have booked thursday 6th August 2015, cheaper to have a midweek wedding!
    Going for the same kind of idea with the venue except not hiring the clifford hall, getting married in the maxwell hall since I love all the stainglass windows! Stirling room for evening buffet/chilling out and loggia for drinks reception. Maxwell hall will then get turned into party central after ceremony haha.

    Looking at Topclass Caterers, they offer so much at a great price and wont have to worry about setting things up since they do it for you. Hoping to book them soon!

    Went for my first wedding dress shopping yesterday with my mum, was terrified at the prospect of being in my knickers in front of strangers/ looking stupid in the dresses but I felt stunning in all of them! Really is such a incredible experience

    No idea what to do about music either, have you enquired about a PA system yet?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowrietobe View Post
    We have booked thursday 6th August 2015, cheaper to have a midweek wedding!
    Going for the same kind of idea with the venue except not hiring the clifford hall, getting married in the maxwell hall since I love all the stainglass windows! Stirling room for evening buffet/chilling out and loggia for drinks reception. Maxwell hall will then get turned into party central after ceremony haha.

    Looking at Topclass Caterers, they offer so much at a great price and wont have to worry about setting things up since they do it for you. Hoping to book them soon!

    Went for my first wedding dress shopping yesterday with my mum, was terrified at the prospect of being in my knickers in front of strangers/ looking stupid in the dresses but I felt stunning in all of them! Really is such a incredible experience

    No idea what to do about music either, have you enquired about a PA system yet?
    Hi Lowrietobe

    That's so exciting, you're right the Maxwell Hall is beautiful! I'm also a bit nervous about dress shopping so you've put my mind at ease! Did you pick one?

    I've spoken to TopClass but haven't arranged a meeting with them yet (on my list of things to do this week!) it's amazing though how many suppliers just don't bother getting back to you!!! I have a meeting arranged with Nosh this week and hope to meet up with Colin from Deli1901 at some point soon and Jam Jar Catering. I've found that all caterers vary so much so it's definitely worth shopping around and getting different quotes as there are hidden charges that you don't always consider. Most of them will also do the set up & clear up for you. We're trying to steer away from the traditional chicken or beef and this is causing a bit of a headache but we'll get there in the end, we've got plenty of time!!

    I haven't asked them yet about the PA system, I'm going to drop in this weekend so I'll definitely check that then. Are any of you guys having music during the day? We were thinking about it but my Mum has talked me out of it as people will be chatting etc so will probably be a bit of a waste. They have a piano on both floors too so and I was going to ask a close friend if she would maybe play me in and then we'll get piped out? So we'll have both the piper and pianist (hopefully) who can entertain if needed?

    Also, have you decided on band, DJ etc?

    Steph x

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •