Thread: What are the essential photos?

Default What are the essential photos?

Except for the obvious ones what do you think are important pics you have to make sure are taken?

I think wedding dress/hair detail is up there but often easy to forget?

Quote Originally Posted by RubyShoes View Post
    Except for the obvious ones what do you think are important pics you have to make sure are taken?

I think wedding dress/hair detail is up there but often easy to forget?

Hi Rubyshoes!

I think some of it depends on which photographer you choose, and what package you go for, as well as what happens on the day!

Most reputable photographers will capture all the important details of the day as a matter of course and there's no need to give them a list. I think it can be a bit daunting as a photographer to be presented with a "list" of shots, such as "first kiss" or "cake cutting". The reason being, that the photographer can end up thinking too much about "the list" and not actually being creative or capturing spontaneous moments that we're great at catching. There has to be a balance between allowing your photographer creative/ artistic freedom and trusting them to get on with the job without needing a prescribed checklist. Equally, I've seen lists requesting things that simply can't be promised - for example, the groom's reaction to the bride which is hugely dependent on the ceremony venue, the position of the photographer, and the groom turning in the right direction for the camera! The only situation I think a list of shots might be useful, might be with a completely inexperienced photographer who needs coaching and guidance.

If you choose someone who works in the business properly, and you look through their portfolio, then the details will be covered. As a photographer, the "important" photos I ask brides and grooms to tell me about are the formal group photos, and let me know who is who for each. I also ask them to let me know about any surprises they've got planned whether for one another or their guests, or things like confetti throw, because those are the moments that sometimes need a bit of planning.

in terms of what package, if you want certain times of the day covered, (bridal prep photos, first dance photos) then do make sure you opt for a package that covers those times of the day. I wouldn't say they are "must haves", as some brides and grooms opt to forgo them, it's simply down to personal preference.