Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Glasgow Uni and Oran Mor report!! March 14

Super Senior Member

Default Glasgow Uni and Oran Mor report!! March 14

So I am married!!! I wasn't going to write a report as I kind of like the anonymity of the forums and whats the point of a report without heaps of photos.....but I've been a long term lurker on wedding forums since being bridemaid about 4 years ago and basically nicked every single idea for the wedding from somewhere on the internet and various reports - so I guess its only fair ) We had some fab suppliers and I know how hard it is to choose them so maybe this will be of use to someone out there, lol! Plus my hubby is on nights all weekend so I have some time to kill.

We got married on Saturday 15th March at Glasgow Uni chapel then Oran Mor. I know its such a cliche but other than the birth of our daughter it really was the best day of our lives - loved every moment from the second I woke up till the second I crashed out about 4am. Both venue far exceeded our expectations, especially Oran Mor which I was a little nervous about after hearing some mixed reports.

I have totally no idea where to start so this might be a bit of a jumble!!

Super Senior Member

The Dress!!

I got my Essence of Australia dress at Vintge Bridal Couture in Kilmacolm. Its a lovely wee shop they have a geat range. I went to a LOT of shops and tried on a LOT of dresses. The process just wasn't as much fun as I expected and I was getting close to just making do and just flipping picking something....anything....to get it done. I wasn't even 100% when I saw my dress the first time and snuck back to the shop on my own to try and make a decision. There was a little drama with the alterations but I don't want to go into that too much as it was a genuine mistake which the shop fixed asap and on the day, it was perfect. I would still highly recommend the shop.
    On the day I LOVED my dress, loved loved loved it. I'm going to try and post some pics but I am totally useless!

My other bits and bobs were;

Headpiece by Karen at Accessory Boutique on Langside place. Karen is lovely and will basically make you anything you want at a fraction of the price of the wedding shops. Highly reccommend her.
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Br...15679571827071
    Shoes - Flo by Rachel Simpson I got cheap in a sample sale
    Earrings and bracelet I got on www.notonthehighstreet.com
    Veil from Fabricated Alterations on Dowanside Street in the West End. They also altered the bridesmaids dresses and are absolutely brilliant!!
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/BridalAl...lasgow?fref=ts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wedding.jpg  
    Last edited by tigger78; 27-03-2014 at 10:30 PM.

Super Senior Member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	11243
    Leaving the church
    Last edited by tigger78; 29-03-2014 at 12:53 AM.

Super Senior Member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	11245

Super Senior Member

So the run up to the weding was hugely, hugely stressful. I thought I was oganised but in reality had left far too many 'little' things until the last minute. I became a total nightmare, bag of nerves, stressed out and emotional mess! So my main advice is do as many jobs as you can at least a month before the wedding....particularly if you have a demanding job and a child. You'd think that would be obvious eh?!
    I was still doing jobs until 6pm the night before the wedding which was so not the plan - I also forgot to pack quite a few things adding to the hassle for everyone else who ended up running round after me picking things up, getting cash out for suppliers and generally doing whatever they could to stop me freaking out, ha! I also found out at 5pm that the humanist had received none of the final personal information I'd sent her and I could not for the life of me find where I'd saved it on my computer which just about tipped me over the edge of reason. But by the time I finally sat down for dinner with my bridesmaids and some friends at 8pm, the stress started to fade away and a bottle of wine later I was totally chilled.

Luckily everything that could possibly have gone wrong in the 2 days before the wedding, did, so on the actual day it was an absolute dream. Relaxed, fun, plenty time for chatting and drinking bubbly. I loved it! We were on time and I actually got to the church 9 minutes early and before a good handful of the guests.

We stayed at the Grosvenor Hilton the night before the wedding and got ready there. We had Laura Gray and her team come to the hotel and there are not enough positive adjectives I can throw around about them. Amaaaazing! I have a very fussy bunch of bridesmaids and I NEVER like my hair and was really worried about it. We all felt a million dollars she is unbelievably talented. Worth every single penny and they helped with everything down to helping me get dressed to holding the baby and making sure she was presentable. Anyone who has booked Laura is in very, very good hands. I've only got a couple of pics of the bridesmaids hair....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Last edited by tigger78; 27-03-2014 at 11:07 PM.

Super Senior Member

Bridesmaid hair
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Super Senior Platinum Member

Congratulations you look fab x

Super Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soon to be Mrs Armour View Post
    Congratulations you look fab x
    Aaw thanks

Super Senior Member

Bridesmaids and flowers

I picked the colour Navy and brand then the girls all choose their own dresses, but went for almost identical ones! They were Jim Hjelm at Ann Priscilla but we got them altered at Fabricated Alterations. I'm biased of course but I thought they all looked gorgeous.
    The flowers were all done by Lynne Knott who did one of my friends weddings then nearly every one since. She just has a small business herself which she runs from home so she is really reasonable and will work to your budget. They all had bright pink flowers and mine where white although they look yellow in some of the Uni snaps from people iPhones - they were definitely white/cream!

www.ljkbridalflowers.co.uk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bridesmaids.jpg  

Super Senior Member FutureMrsMilligan's Avatar

Awww, you look gorgeous!!! xx

You look stunning! Your hair & dress are absolutely gorgeous.

Super Senior Member

Wow you look amazing! Congratulations! x

Super Senior Member

Thanks for commenting

For the bridesmaid gifts I got initial tote bags and matching makeup bags, then in the bags I also put their jewellry and pashmina for the day and a Primark white robe to wear getting ready. I got some personalised thank you cards for all the wedding party. Not on the Highstreet is my favourite websit ever, dread to think how much time I wasted on there!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bags.jpg  

Super Senior Member

Thank you cards. x
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails card.jpg  

Super Senior Member

Our ceremony was at Glasgow Uni as I studied there and my hubby's granny got married there 60 odd years ago. They had the register she signed on her wedding day out of archive for her to see which was lovely.
    I had the Uni orgnist play Highland Cathedral for the bridesmaids entrance then the piper took over playing the same song for me and my Dad walking in after seeing a similar thing on Youtube. I've no idea if it worked or not but people said it did! Our piper was Alasdair at Piping for All Occasions and he was great. He also piped for guests arriving and us to the top table.
    www.pipingforalloccasions.co.uk

We had a humanist ceremony which you have to basically write yourself which we found really, really hard. It took forever! But there seemed to be a good few laughs and a few tears so hopefully it sounded okay. My biggest fear was sobbing through the while thing as I'm a total crier normally. Lots of people said the adrenalin gets you through it and they were so right. I had a few teary moments but managed to not cry coming down the aisle and spoke all my vows so I was majorly relieved. Our humanist was Julie Reid and we loved her; she is very down to earth and has a good sense of humour plus she took control of the whole ceremony so we really didn't have to worry about where to stand or what to do.

We had 2 readings then the Uni organist play the piano during signing of the register. Our Mums were our witnesses which was an idea I got from someone else on the forum I thought it was really sweet to include them.

After the ceremony we had a heap of taxis come and take everyone to Oran Mor for the fun bit! It was a little stressy as it was totally freezing and I had no idea if we booked enough taxis - but at the end of the day it was half the price of a bus!

u look fab! cant wait to read more!

Super Senior Member

Oran Mor was our best decision! We wanted somewhere with a big dance floor and saw so many beige conference room type rooms in hotels and we just didn't want that. There were pros and cons with Oran Mor - the whole thing is in one room and its a bit of a nightmare for disabled people and anyone with prams/breastfeeding (we had about 5) - but nowhere is perfect and we are glad we decided to have the reception there. We were so happy with the way the room looked. We got Make Believe Events to add fairy lights behind the stage and hired a sign from I Love Letters. These were totally off budget and we couldn't really afford them but they made a massive difference and I'm glad we got them. The LOVE sign was my favourite thing. I saw it on a friends photos from a wedding she was at and asked her to find out where they got it. They do the massive letters and Mr and Mrs signs too. Worth a look;

https://www.facebook.com/iloveletters.co.uk

For the meals we chose;

Mini Fish and Chips
    Chicken stuffed with haggis
    Sticky Toffee pudding
    Coffee with Tablet
    Choice of Kilchoman whiskey, glayva or baileys
    Buffet we had bacon and saugage rolls, cake and I provided gluten free cupcakes

The food was excellent. MUCH better than our tasting and as far as I know, there were no complaints....or none that we got to hear about. Loads of people told us their meals were amanzing.
    The staff were brilliant and dealt with any glitches - like I forgot about a vegetarian and one of my aunts couldn't eat the haggis so they got her a plain chicken she said was lovely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails oran mor.jpg  
    Last edited by tigger78; 28-03-2014 at 01:42 PM.

Super Senior Member

First Dance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LOVE.jpg  

Super Senior Member

We got engaged on a beach on Islay; so all our table names were Islay beaches and the table plan was a map of Islay. My friend made it for me and I was so grateful it was fab.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Table plan.jpg  

Super Senior Member

The Band

I keep saying things were my favourite - but the band truely were our favourite thing. My hubby found them and we were sooooooo excited about them for months and months. The were flippin (trying not to swear here) fantastic!!!! Other than a couple of slow numbers the dance floor was honestly packed out from the very first dance until the last. The atmosphere was unbelievable and we were all about the big party so were very happy. They were the most expensive band we got a quote from but they were honestly worth every penny. Love them.

BAHOOKIE - you rock!

They are a modern celidh band. So they play the traditional dances but mix in modern songs like Coldplay, Swedish House Mafia. Hard to explain and it wouldn't be everyones cup of tea but was exactly what we were after. They have videos on Youtube and a Facebook page if you are still looking check them out. It was ceilidh until the buffet then they did a DJ set. I can't really remember what they played but I asked them not to play too much oldie wedding stuff and I think it was mostly charty upbeat stuff from the last 10 years. Everyone danced anyway. Then to finish they do an Orcandian Strip the Willow (sweaty!), Caledonia, Auld Lang Syne, Loch Lomond. Again - not for everyone but I'm from an island and the night is just not over till I hear Loch Lomond. Oran Mor is open until 2am so we then put on an iPod and had a real mix of random stuf including some good 90s dance tunes - TTF anyone?!?! Most people drifted off by 1am but there were about 30 of us still going strong until 2am.

You look stunning! Love your report xxx

Loved reading this - Your day sounds perfect! xx

Super Senior Member

Aaw thanks, it was a lot of fun!!!

Photobooth
    My husband is a total show off and loves being the centre of attention. He wanted a fancy dress box at the wedding. I told him that was totally ridiculous you can't have a fancy dress box at a wedding for no reason! So we did a DIY photobooth. We couldn't afford a proper photobooth and to be honest we weren't really fussed about the photos - Ali just wanted to run around the dance floor wearing a stupid hat carrying an inflatable banana; which he got to do, lol!

We bought about 50 of glasses, inflatables, wigs, hats in Futura in East Kilbride which got us a lot of stuff. We dispayed the smaller stuff in a cardboard vintage suitcase I bought from this forum. We got a printable sign on Etsy that basically said it was just for fun and to use your own cameras and share the pics on Facebook.
    I then made some lips and taches on sticks and some captions. I followed a tutorial from Rock my Wedding they were really easy and looked good in the pics. Everyone totally got into it and one of my fave memories is dancing a Virginia Reel wearing a feather boa!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photobooth.jpg  
    Last edited by tigger78; 28-03-2014 at 05:46 PM.

Super Senior Member

~Photobooth
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photobooth1.jpg  

Super Senior Member

The captionsw were;
    Mr Lover Lover
    Gorgeous!
    I only came for the cake
    I only came for the beer
    Dancing Queen
    I Love my Wife
    You Rock my World
    And a few other stupid ones that were based on jokes between Ali and his mates