Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hitched!!! Overwhelmingly amazing day, Western House Hotel: REPORT!

Default Hitched!!! Overwhelmingly amazing day, Western House Hotel: REPORT!

Well, it's all over! (Except for mini moon and honeymoon which start tomorrow!). I'm still so elated by the day I thought I'd start off a wedding report (in instalments!)

First of all, I just wanted to say that I know everyone says it will be the best day of your life and you'll love every minute....but I still kinda thought we'd be stressed or anxious during the day and not fully enjoy it. I was so wrong. I felt amazing from the second I set foot down the aisle, the day is almost beyond description it was so good. Brides to be I'm so thrilled for you, you really do have the best day EVER ahead of you!

We got married on Sunday March 2nd at the western house in Ayr. I finished a busy few weeks at work on the Thursday, did NOT take enough time off work in the run up! Take note brides! So I'll start this report on Thursday eve/Friday.

Husband is a full time student with 4 other jobs so he was pretty much working 24/7 (literally) to catch up in advance, and everything was pretty much left to me. Place cards were completed thurs night, 8am start on Friday; first job - collect the dress! I had some last min alterations booked 2 weeks prior, as my dress was still too big, but was freaking out it would be too small post alteration! Imagine!!! I needn't have worried, the staff at opus couture in West kilbride know exactly what they are doing and it was perfect. Susan at opus has been there through so much of the process I felt a bit sad saying cheerio for the last time! My dress took up most of my car! So it was back home (glasgow) to hang the dress before heading to collect my cakes from m&s.

Before that though. .. three texts to husband who was at college warning him not to enter the spare room where my dress was hanging, on punishment of death! And I practically nailed the room door shut to prevent the dog getting in!

I made the fruit tier of my cake and bought sponge tiers from Marks and Spencer. My order was ready at m&s and a lovely man carried them to my car. Then nails, and lashes. Phew! Back home, I started decorating and assembling the cake. It took about two hours, and one of the tiers was not the size I expected, but I worked with it! Then I realised....nails before cake? Yup, nails wrecked. D'oh! Not to worry, the shape was great so a wee diy paint job was planned with the bridesmaids for Saturday night.

On to my mum's house (after cake was nailed into the spare room out of canine reach too!). We surveyed the full room of wedding "stuff" needing transported and formulated a plan of action. Wine time then bed time.

I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this report! Looking forward to the next installments

Great report so far, can't wait to read more x

Super Senior Member

Susan at Opus is AMAZING!!! I was actually gutted I didn't find my dress there as loved them so much. My friend got hers there when I was bridesmaid they so know thier stuff. x

Thanks all! (Isn't Opus great! )

Ok so Saturday. Woke at mum's at 7am, an hour before alarm. We were all awake within 10 mins, except for my dad who recently retired and seems to be enjoying the lie in thing! Now my mum has been trying to sell her house for two years, and a viewer wanted to come at 10.30am. They were driving from England and this was the only day they could come. Great timing with 7 family members and two dogs packed into the house, plus a truck load of wedding stuff! We frantically threw things in bags/wardrobes & hoovered, with the plan of all but two of the adults being out walking the dogs when the viewers arrived, and we were about to start packing the wedding stuff in my dad's car when the doorbell rang 45 mins early. What?!?! Cue springer spaniels woofing and bouncing about mental as we all took a last min 5 second scramble to throw things in cupboards before piling out into the garden, where we all stayed coat-less and shivering until the viewers left. (They have since put an offer in yay!). So I packed a few things in my car (leaving masses of room for dress) and headed back to glasgow. I didn't really need to spend that night with my mum.... But I wanted to, and it was lovely. Anyway, husband to be was out having far too many beers with his stepdad, so I wasn't missed!

Back in Glasgow, the dog was collected and dropped off at MIL's (she would drop him at the dogsitter the next morning). Our dog is our child, we are pretty pathetic! So I was gutted leaving him! Back home, best man #1 of 2 arrived to get h2b organised, and I finished packing my car and headed to Ayr alone, after a giggly "see you at our wedding" cheerio kiss with h2b. Once in the car alone, it was a roller coaster of emotions - "this it it!", I was scared, elated, nervous, excited in equal measures. Bridesmaid from Yorkshire was driving straight to Ayr and my sister (other maid) was due to arrive later with the car of stuff my dad was bringing.

There was a wedding on Saturday when I arrived at the western house and it was lovely seeing the bride and groom getting some photos taken and thinking that would be us! I wanted to run up and hug the bride and groom but I restrained myself as I'm sure they'd think I was mental! Unpacking time, and it started chucking down with rain :-(, a lovely boy from the hotel did about 4 runs to my car in just a shirt bless him, he was still smiling! I have to say, from the second I got there the staff were amazing. I also arranged an extra guest....one guest had told us he couldn't come, then the day before mentioned something to someone else on Facebook about coming to the wedding?!? What?! Thanks for telling us! I was beyond stress by this point and surprisingly chilled, the hotel quickly sorted an extra place (although I had been a little tempted just to let him go to McDonald's for his meal to prove a point lol)

The 2 girls arrived (plus more stuff.... should've hired a van!, and we settled into our family room. My dad's partner (who is my sister's mum... im blessed that all fractions of the family get on well) had prepared a picnic for us with chilled champagne (and non alcoholic fizz for my pregnant maid), crackers, cheese, pate, dips, biscuits, and other m&s goodies. It was a lovely thought, and we had a really special night relaxing together. My nails were finally re-done!!

Despite a comfy room, I DID NOT SLEEP A WINK. I was bursting with adrenaline all night, and daft things like "I need to text the hairdresser the room number" kept running through my head, but I forced myself to lie still and get some rest at least, even if it wasn't actual sleep!

Loving your report!! Susan at Opus has been an angel!! Glad so many people have recognised the hard work she puts in xxx

Super Senior Member Laurabelle84's Avatar

Loving it so far...... Xx

Super Senior Platinum Member MrsSneddonToBe's Avatar

Love it so far. I love the fact you were thinking that you need to text the hairdresser your room number!! x
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

Super Senior Member laurenmillertobe's Avatar

More more more!!! X

Super Senior Member

I second that xxx

this is fab so far x

Sunday morning... W-Day!:

As I mentioned, zero hours sleep! So I slowly watched the dawn break and waited patiently for one of my bridesmaids to wake up! Both were awake around 7.45, and the excitement began! I forced down a three course brekkie (too nervous to eat but knew I needed to), and then headed back to our room where Elaine and Nicole from Elaine Compton Hair Design (Hamilton) arrived to beautify us. They made our hair perfect, and we did our own make up.

I realised I hadn't brought my earrings. Ahh! Called my mum who was absolutely amazing through the whole process to ask her if my "something borrowed" could be her diamond earrings (I knew she was planning to wear different swarovski ones anyway), hoping to catch her before she left the house. "Open the red bag, they're already in there, I had a strange feeling I should pack them" was the reply. That just illustrated what a big help my mum was in the whole process, she knew what I needed before I even needed it!!!!

Flowers arrived from The Tartan Rose in Paisley (Fiona was great, they were perfect, and then we were whisked over to the bridal suite to dress. I was informed groom had arrived...he's never been on time for anything in his life, nevermind early! Remarkable. Nerves now 9/10! 4 junior maids arrived, and we all got dressed.... I was ready early!

Andi Watson our photographer knocked on the door and asked if we minded him being there, then he said "oh, you're ready, this never happens, it is usually chaos right now!" Suddenly it felt like Dad was taking my arm and Laura our marvellous wedding coordinator was telling me it was time. Already?!!!!

I was expecting to ruin the service for myself with nerves and stage fright. I could not have been more wrong. Loved it from start to finish. Husband and I were giggling like little kids and Angela Donnelly from Ayrshire registry office did a lovely service which all our guests commented seemed so much more personal than they expected from a civil ceremony. Guitarist Joe Gallacher played throughout; I walked up the aisle to his bespoke arrangement of the beatles I wanna hold your hand. He also played the drinks reception and we hired magician Terry Rooney to entertain during the drinks reception too. Both went down a storm.

The speeches were hilarious! Groom made his up on the spot! Meal was really lovely but I couldn't eat much. Hyper! I know everyone says it but the day goes sooooo fast. I made the decision not to drink alcohol (I had maybe 2 drinks the whole day and sparkling water other than that), as I wanted to enjoy and remember every minute. So glad I did that.

Have to go just now but I will big up my band in the next post and quickly post Andi Watson's brill blog post of our photos, which I can't stop looking at! X

Great report! You make every part sound wonderful lol. So happy you had such an amazing day x

Super Senior Platinum Member

Your pictures look fab x x

Super Senior Platinum Member MrsSneddonToBe's Avatar

Your photos are amazing. You both look so happy x

Sounds amazing! The photos are beautiful.

Thanks all! We love the photos, Andi Watson and his wife Bec plus their assistant were there on the day and all were awesome. Haven't seen all the pics but love these ones (although I am a little surprised at how many of my teeth feature in the pics....I was literally grinning from ear to ear...I look like a cheshire cat!)

Where was I...dinner? Yes dinner was great, awesome food and service. The Western House hotel does everything "properly" in terms of service (I speak as a past waitress brought up in the hotel industry). We gave the ladies masquerade masks as gifts, and the boys scratch cards in "good luck" brown paper cards. The masks wen't down a storm and we got loads of funny photos of the ladies (and men!) dressed up in them. Husband and I met in fancy dress! There was a theme there.....!

After dinner, it was a whirlwind of evening guests. I hadn't cried all day (to my shock - I cry at TV adverts for goodness sake), but one of my evening guests arrived (an older lady I used to work with) and she welled up when she saw me....I was nearly away at this point! Definite lump in the throat! Then suddenly we were alone and the MC was lining us up to enter the room for our first dance. The hotel just seemed to organise all the guests without us realising what was happening!

I wasn't looking forward to first dance...we don't dance (should have taken lessons or at least practised, we hadn't though). We picked an upbeat first dance and that worked quite well for us, we just bopped around and I did some twirls in my massive dress!! We had the proclaimers "Life with You". Brilliant! The band were the Desperados from Blantyre (the play all over though). They were brilliant, we heard the words "best band we've ever heard at a wedding" or similar from guests a few times. The dancefloor was packed all night and everyone is still commenting on the band when we bump into friends and relatives.

I have to say, the evening passed far too quick! I think unavoidably you need to go round to say hello to all the eve guests and even day guests you've not managed to catch up with yet, and with people pulling you aside between tables, it is so hard to speak to everyone. The buffet came out (rolls and sausage or bacon which went down a treat), and the band had their break and I realised I hadn't danced execpt for the first dance. I'm pretty sure I had spoken to everyone (almost) so I made the decision to plant myself on the dancefloor, and if anyone still wanted to chat then they knew where I was!

I guess that is it! Loads of friends and family were staying in the hotel so it was nice to relax in the bar at the end of the evening with close F&F....although it wasn't a late one. Top Tip: I asked my bridesmaid to unbutton my dress before she went to bed (the dress was still zipped up so it didn't fall off!), I think if she hadn't then I'd have ended up sleeping in it I was so exhausted! I'm still almost in shock about how amazing the day really was though, I felt completely elated from the second I stepped down the aisle to leaving the hotel the following morning. Hope the report is useful to some of you brides to be.

I think the only supplier I've not covered so far is Bridesmaids: From Ribbons and Lace in Kilwinning. Laura and her shop are amazing and her advice on my pregnant bridesmaid was invaluable (the dress fitted in the end but Laura was really supportive and we had back up plans!). The bridal selection there is stunning too.

Oh also we went to Elliots in Prestwick for post breakfast coffees etc the next morning and some friends joined us, it was nice to arrange something like that to chat and laugh over stories from the night and see a bit more of some far flung friends and family. I'd recommend arranging a morning after gettogether.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	favours2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	11143Not the best photo....but mens and ladies favours (white lace masquerade mask with chiffon flower for the ladies, although all the men ended up wearing them too! and scratch card in good luck folder for men).

Name:	favours3.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	11144These little fun badges from not on the high street wend doen a treat too, I was wearing "I kissed the groom"! We put a bowl of them on the guest book table.

Name:	horseshoe.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	11145I almost forgot my amazing horseshoe! My cousins combined forces to source horseshoes, weld and craft this beautiful bespoke good luck horseshoe which my one year old cousin delivered to the bride! So cute.

I also set up an instagram to dropbox rule and encouraged all guests to use a pre allocated hashtag on instagram for all their photos. I have over 100 fun photos from the night saved to my dropbox and people are still adding them! Would recommend it, I get a giggle every day when I log in at the crazy dancing photos!

Sounds amazing, thanks for sharing. I've really enjoyed reading your report! Particularly like your instagram to dropbox tip - think I'll do something similar as its a great way to collect photos form the day.

Super Senior Member

Your pictures are great and it does sound like the most amazing day xxx

Great wedding report & stunning pictures. Congratulations & thanks for sharing x

Aw Thank you all. We really did enjoy every min and I'm a bit jealous of brides and grooms to be that it's all ahead of you!

Lorrainep I used a site called ifttt.com to set up the instagram to dropbox rule then had wee cards printed on vistaprint with the hashtag. Make sure you check in advance noone has used your hashtag already! X