Thread: Photography, am I mad!?

Mrskerr2be

Default Photography, am I mad!?

So, since my and h2b have booked our venue (which includes ceremony, food, drink, honeymoon suite etc) I am now looking at my list of 'big things' to see what should be sorted next - photography and band (we wanted a humanist wedding, but waiting until nearer the time to book).

For the band we want Three Card Trick and since h2b's best friend/best man is extremely close with the boys h2b is going to speak to him about getting them, so no worries there (especially since it's a winter wedding in 2016).

In terms of photography I have seen two photographers I love - Robert J Hill and Sassy from Assassynation. Now, Robert is based in the USA and covers $1000 of travel expenses for a few days before/after in case of travel delays, and Sassy is from England but doesn't cover expenses.
    I love their style of work, and I have emailed them for quotes on pricing with the travel included but am I mad considering people so far away?
    If their prices end up relative to closer photographers then I don't see an issue, but aside from the venue the photographer is my next 'must have', because at the end of the day photographs are all we have left of the wedding come the end of the night.

Does anyone have any experience with further away photographers, or does anyone know of any Scottish photographers will similar styles as the two aforementioned?

Super Senior Member

I would just take the weather into consideration with this one obviously everything could be fine but if it's winter you never know what the weather could be like and it could cause havoc for them travelling?
    30th May 2014

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi Mrskerr2be, when I was looking I found mirrorbox photography who are a wee bit similar. (I think) I went with John Johnston who looks great and is flexible with regards to what you want. I, for example, don't like posed photos and he showed me all his work which isn't. I also met with Neil Douglas whose work was good but I just didn't click with him like I did John.

I would recommend having a wee look at them to see, they are all pretty close to Glasgow, so quite central. They are all about 1500 for basic packages.

Good luck.

Super Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by KD1988 View Post
    Hi Mrskerr2be, when I was looking I found mirrorbox photography who are a wee bit similar. (I think) I went with John Johnston who looks great and is flexible with regards to what you want. I, for example, don't like posed photos and he showed me all his work which isn't. I also met with Neil Douglas whose work was good but I just didn't click with him like I did John.

I would recommend having a wee look at them to see, they are all pretty close to Glasgow, so quite central. They are all about 1500 for basic packages.

Good luck.
    I second john Johnston, as that's who we've gone with too. We've seen his work & how he works at our best mans wedding too. He's a lovely guy, very creative & easy to get on with in terms of what you want.

Good luck in your search!xx

Mrskerr2be

Thanks everyone!

I know weather is the main concern when it comes to suppliers, and I am trying to look as close as possible, but I'm just finding it very hard to find someone I like.

I'm like KD1988 in that I hate posed photographs, and obviously there is certan group shots that cannot be avoided but I would like to have them as natural and relaxed as possible, as that is something that can be seen in the final result. I want a more reportage style of photography, telling the story of our wedding through more relaxed, informal shots as opposed to the hour and a half of everyone standing in the same spots just different faces.

Many of the photographers I have came across, while having natural "in the moment" shots, also seem to have a lot of the latter ones I don't like.

I have Chris Currie who is Glasgow based - you get the two of them and their stuff is amazing...I chose my date based on the fact they were free. They do what I think you're looking for.

Hiya, I'll put a shout in for SD Photography. Sarah and Darren are from Monifieth in Fife and will travel anywhere. I booked them over a year ago for our wedding in September and out of all the choices we've made for the wedding, this has been the best one - yes even more chuffed with my photographers than my dress - and they haven't even taken a single shot yet!

Their style is exactly what you're describing that you're looking for with candid shots being their forte, I strongly suggest you check out their website! I originally wanted Christopher Currie but he was way out of our price range, but Sarah and Darren do exactly the same at a much more affordable rate.

H2b and I finally met them at the last GWC wedding fair and they were just as lovely, cheery and amenable as I'd hoped. I really can't wait to have them at our wedding and so far, cannot recommend them enough.

Hi

I love sassy's work and found Neil Thomas Douglas who is Glasgow based and has a similar eye. I love his work and sassy used him for her Thailand vow renewal so I think that speaks volumes. Amazing photographer and such a nice guy. X

I'll second what mrsfanning2b said! I always recommend SD Photography to everyone, as just totally and utterly in love with their work....plus they are ace peeps and their prices are brill (i can't believe they don't charge more considering their work is of such high calibre!) Good luck xx

I was browsing through this wee link on their site a few days ago and was totally in awe (plus shed a few tears cause i'm a great big sap, hehe) http://sdphotography.co.uk/2013/12/a...tography-2013/

We're using McBeth Photography and Craig has said he will only be spending 20 minutes max on the group photos that you can't really avoid...then we will go away ourselves but apart from that none of our photos will be staged. Same as you - I want just natural photos that will tell the story of our day and I have complete faith in Craig that he will deliver exactly that

I'll just add in a wee vote in favour of local photographers - there are lots of professionals working in Scotland who will work in either a completely reportage style or who will work as naturally as possible and add in - but make as painless as possible - any "absolutely must have" groups. The key is finding someone who is not only a superb photographer with the style that you want but also in finding someone that you want to spend 12 hours with on your wedding day - you will see more of your photographer than your husband

Mrskerr2be

Thanks everyone, I am definitely taking note of these people and going to have a wee look at the website's!

Feeling like going into uber planning mode haha.

Hi! we met with John Elphinstone Stirling this morning - they were really nice! His photographs are lovely and sound like what you are looking for. He is also amazingly competitive in terms of price!! Def worth a look