Thread: Does this actually happen???

Default Does this actually happen???

hiya ladies i am new to this forum n just wanted to know everyones views on this.being scottish we are havin the kilts n although the little boy who isnt in the bridal party(distant friends son) is wearing the same kilt as everyone who is not quite sure why he is but anyway.got talkin to another friend n she said my other friend (mum of the boy )has told him he's to go about the wedding asking for money for his sporran.have searched for ages on this n cant find anything as i thought it was some tradition but i just seem to be getting even more angry as i think about it n how rude it seems.has any1 ever heard of this.thanks x

I would think it very rude if a child came up to me and asked for money and a bit disturbing that a parent would get their child to beg, however I have been at a wedding before and there was one child at the wedding and people were putting money in his sporran, although I would think it only right if it was people that knew the child that gave him money, you wouldn't encourage your child to take money from strangers!! As for the boy wearing the same tartan as bridal party maybe she found it cheaper to hire an outfit than buy a new one, but she should have asked if it was ok to wear the same tartan

Sorry but no way I would want someone at my wedding passing there son of as Oliver twist. At my friends wedding last year there was three kids allowed t run a mock during the wedding vows which I thought was so rude. Really spoiled what should have been a very special moment.

WE got married last week, and I had never heard of this. However, the video guy was talking to my welsh nephew (who was wearing a kilt) and he said that people would probably be putting coins in there. I had never heard of this and when I asked him, he said that traditionally people would put coins in the sporran but they don't ask for it. One of our nephews came home with about 50 in notes in his that family members had just put in there and my other nephew came home with silver coins in it. Neither of them asked for the money but some of the older guests from the highlands and islands knew of this tradition and just did it. Seemed strange to me too, but then im not scottish either!! x

Senior Platinum Member Harajuku80's Avatar

Traditionally a sporran was used to hold money (as well as other things such as a hip flask) as kilts don't have pockets. some people depending on wehre they are from may have a localised tradition where they put "a penny" in a child's sporran. However, I'm not sure I would encourage a child to go around a wedding begging for money from strangers! LOL Seems a bit too far if you ask me.
    Friday 1st May 2015