Thread: Mr & Mrs Armour - 14th September 2013

Super Senior Platinum Member

Default Mr & Mrs Armour - 14th September 2013

I thought it was time that I made a start on my wedding report (I have posted a few pics already on my countdown thread). I am going to start with a little background about how we met/the proposal and I will move onto the wedding planning, run up to our big day and the big day over the next few days. I will also post some pics too. Hopefully you won't all be sleeping by the time I am finished.

Background
    I had moved back to Scotland in 2005 after living down south for 8 years. I had stayed single when I was moving back and had a few disastrous dates and even tried internet dating (it was not for me). I had been talking to my best friend about wanting to me someone and her and her husband suggested that I go on a date with one of his workmates my now husband. We exchanged numbers and a few texts and a week later on the 25th February 2007 went on our first date. My family live abroad and my mum was visiting at the time of our first date so my husband not only met me for the first time but my mum. My birthday was 2 days later and he bought me a present and a card (very romantic).

My now husband has been there through losing my mum 6 months after we met and not only supporting me but my family too. I was then there for him when he lost his dad.

A year after we met we bought our home and moved in together.

We had talked about our future and it was always that we would be together and had talked about marriage and how important it was to me.

Proposal
    Fast forward to May 2012 and we had gone to Campbeltown (where my husband is from) and he suggested that we take a walk to the Mull of Kintyre Lighthouse. This involved a drive up a 7 mile single track road and when we got to the top of the mull we then had to walk 2 miles down a winding road, which had stunning views and was a beautiful day.

We got to the bottom and had a picnic and were chatting away and the next thing my husband was on one knee playing the Proclaimers lets get married on his I-phone. I was speechless for a short time before saying “YES”. He had the most perfect diamond engagement ring that he had arranged to be made for me by a local jeweller Grant Logan. He had taken a picture of a ring that I already wore and measured this and sent a picture to Grant. Unfortunately, my engagement ring was a little too small but this wasn’t a problem as Grant had already told my husband that if there were any problems just to give him a call and he would be able to fix it on the day.
    We then went out that night for a meal and to celebrate (sore heads all round).

Fiona x x

Congratulation Fiona. Can't wait to hear more and see some pics. Going to have a wee look at your pics on you countdown. xx

Super Senior Member FutureMrsMilligan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soon to be Mrs Armour View Post
    We got to the bottom and had a picnic and were chatting away and the next thing my husband was on one knee playing the Proclaimers lets get married on his I-phone.
    Love this!!! Looking forward to the rest of your report! xx

Congratulations, looking forward to reading the rest xx

Platinum Member

I am so delighted to see your report Fiona, we won't be sleeping at all!

LOVE your proposal, I absolutely love that Proclaimers song and it was a serious contender for our first dance for a while :-) xx

Created by Wedding Favors

Awwww soooo exciting!!!! So....romantic!! The proposal sounds amazing - the walk back up is a killer!!! :-) can't wait to hear the rest of your report!! X

Wedding Planning
    When we got engaged I told my now husband that I would enjoy being engaged for a few weeks and we could then look at venues etc but we came home from Campbeltown on the Monday and I bought my first wedding magazine – SWD. The magazine was a fabulous source of information especially the venue supplement.

We looked at a venue on the Friday after we got engaged and I had arranged for us to view the National Piping Centre on the Saturday morning. I fell in love with the venue the first time we seen it and Gemma and the staff were amazing from the first time we went to see the venue. We booked a couple of provisional dates – we confirmed the 14th September 2013 on the Monday (just over a week after we were engaged).

I went into full planning mode and started looking at dresses, table decorations, invitations etc. We put together a draft guest list and budget and I was away to start booking all the key things for our day. I made a list and a gant chart(I am too organised and don’t cope with lastminute.com) so that I could spread everything out.

I bought my dress (Alfred Angelo) and fab Benajmin Adams shoes in the May and when my sister was home with her family in October we had a day of trying BM dresses and went out to sort out the boys kilts.

In the run up to our big day work was mega busy so I was glad that I was really organised but so glad that I finished work on the Tuesday before our wedding on the Saturday.

My family all arrived the Saturday/Sunday before the wedding and it all became very real as we had to go for dress fittings, kilt measuring and making our favours as well as me trying to write Thank You cards for gifts we received from People not going to the wedding. My aunt also delivered our wonderful cake – it was exactly as I had imagined and she had done such an amazing job.

On the Wednesday and Thursday I had waxing and nail appointments and it was nice to have a little time on my own away from the madness of the house. I picked my dress up on the Thursday and my sister and niece had their first fittings.

Friday before was busy as we had to take all the stuff to the venue, pick up sandwiches and the cutting cake bar from M&S. I even managed time to go shopping for a dress with my dad’s partner – a busy morning.

I then went to pick my best friend and nieces up as we needed to head to my house to that we could get my sister and niece and head to Alter Girls in Glasgow to pick up the girls dresses – they all looked amazing.

Returned home via the chip shop as there were 9 of us staying at my house the night before the wedding.

My husband was staying in a hotel with his family but came over with his mum, brother, niece and sister in law to see us all. My dad and his partner were also there so it was a little loud.

I gave all the BM’s, flowergirls etc their gifts and everyone loved them. We all had matching dressing gowns and slippers to wear on the morning of the wedding.

I was shattered to after a couple of glasses of wine it was an early night for us all ready for an early start on the morning of the wedding as the hairdresser and makeup girl were arriving at 8 to start the beauty preparations.

Next instalment hopefully tomorrow but I am packing to go to Lanzarote with the girls for the weekend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	10290

Our lovely wedding cake made by my Aunt

Views:	154 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	10291

Me and my dad walking up the aisle

Views:	156 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	10292

Me and my sister with our dad

Views:	88 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	10293

My husband and I after we were married

Views:	88 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	10294

With my husband and mother in law

Views:	77 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	10295

A wee pic of me

Views:	56 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	10296
    Me with my wee sis and best friend

Views:	78 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	10297
    With my husband, my dad and his partner

I will try to finish my report tomorrow night. Hope you like the pics as these were all taken by our friends and family x

Super Senior Member Laurabelle84's Avatar

Love your report so far, you looked gorgeous xx

Quote Originally Posted by Laurabelle84 View Post
    Love your report so far, you looked gorgeous xx
    Thank you Laura. It will be your turn soon.x

Platinum Member

Loving your report Fiona, it's fab and you looked brilliant and SO happy.

I laughed out loud when you mentioned your Gant chart - my H has told most of Scotland about my colour co-ordinated spreadsheet, finally proof that there is somebody more organised!

I really like your style heading off to Lanzarote too, good on you. Any space for me in that case? x

Created by Wedding Favors

Quote Originally Posted by carirw View Post
    Loving your report Fiona, it's fab and you looked brilliant and SO happy.

I laughed out loud when you mentioned your Gant chart - my H has told most of Scotland about my colour co-ordinated spreadsheet, finally proof that there is somebody more organised!

I really like your style heading off to Lanzarote too, good on you. Any space for me in that case? x
    Carol it's not the best of planning so close to our wedding but it's my friends special birthday so a girls got to do what she has to. I'm looking forward to chilling in the sun for the weekend.

Don't talk about cases we are all taking way too much stuff but you never know wha you might need.

I hope that you are settling into married life? I managed to finish all thank you cards this week so I'm really pleased with myself x

Aww congratulations Fiona You looked stunning, have a great week relaxing in the sun! xx

Senior Platinum Member Harajuku80's Avatar

Aww looks like you had a fab day! You looked gorgeous! xx
    Friday 1st May 2015