Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mr and Mr Stewart Grand Central Hotel 31st August 2013

Super Senior Member

Default Mr and Mr Stewart Grand Central Hotel 31st August 2013

Background

Nick and I met online in December 2008. In all honesty neither of us were looking for the ***8216;one***8217;. By Christmas we were smitten with each other and decided to spend New Year alone in a hotel in Glasgow.

We had a fantastic time and soon realised how we felt for each other. Over the next year we spent more and more time together and on New Year***8217;s Eve 2009 in the same hotel we had stayed in the year earlier Nick popped the question!

There were tears!

So we had our engagement party on March 6th 2010 with all our family and friends around us.

By September 2010 we had bought our home together and added to our family in August 2011 with Maisie cat.

Planning for our big day started September2011
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1209106_10153229863700503_278245347_n.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	10019

(I'm the one sitting)

I will have to leave it there for now.....

Super Senior Member Mrs_G to be's Avatar

Congratulations John - I have been waiting on your report - you and Nick both look amazing and so happy - love the flowers on the candelabra on your table. Looking forward to your report.

Getting married on 23/06/12

Super Senior Platinum Member FutureMrsAdie's Avatar

Aww congratulations! You look so happy! x

Yay! So looking forward to your report John! Big congrats to you both! xx

Super Senior Platinum Member

Congratulations John, what a lovely picture x

Congratulations to you both! Looking forward to reading all about your day
    Sunday 7th September 2014

Congrats 2 u both,can't wait 2 read ur report xx

Congratulations to you both.Looking forward to your report and so is my mum because she loves your user name JustJohn as it reminds her of my dad. He once ordered flowers for her over the phone and when the florist asked what he wanted on the card, he replied just John. When the flowers were delivered, the lady had actually written Just John on the card, so now my dad writes it on mum's anniversary card every year.

When the flowers were delivered, the lady had actually written Just John on the card, so now my dad writes it on mum's anniversary card every year.

Love this <3 it's the little things xx

Awww, congratulations!!! Everyone looks very dapper!!! Can't wait to read your report. X

Great photo! Congratulations x

Congratulations, lovely picture x

Super Senior Platinum Member MrsSneddonToBe's Avatar

Congratulations John! Looking forward to your report x
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

Super Senior Member

Congratulations John! I'll look forward to reading your report. X
    30th May 2014

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Platinum Member

Congratulation John, great photo! xx

Lovely photo John, congratulations! Xx

Congratulations John, great picture too! X

Super Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JulyBride View Post
    Congratulations to you both.Looking forward to your report and so is my mum because she loves your user name JustJohn as it reminds her of my dad. He once ordered flowers for her over the phone and when the florist asked what he wanted on the card, he replied just John. When the flowers were delivered, the lady had actually written Just John on the card, so now my dad writes it on mum's anniversary card every year.
    Love This!!

Super Senior Member

Thank you all for your kind wishes!

Super Senior Member

The planning for our big day actually started with us being invited to a civil partnership on the Isle of Bute. We attended a lovely Civil Partnership Ceremony in the grounds of the old castle. The next day we visited Mount Stuart and we fell in love with it!

When we got back home we looked at the costs and the logistics of getting our guests to Rothsey and decided it wasn***8217;t doable so we were back to the drawing board. We visited a few stately homes but nothing could match Mount Stuart.

We had finally given up when I spotted a large press release for the refurbishment of Grand Central Hotel in Glasgow. I had never heard of the hotel and was intrigued. It was nothing like Mount Stuart but what did we have to lose!

As my birthday was on the 10th of September I decided to book a night***8217;s stay and arranged a meeting with William one of the wedding coordinators.

The meeting with William went well and Nick and I soon realised how special the hotel was....to us it has a magical history that we are now so privileged to be part of!

So the Civil Partnership Ceremony of Nicholas and John to be held in the Clyde Suite on the 31st of August 2013 was provisionally booked. First thing Monday Morning I was onto the registrar***8217;s office of Glasgow city council and it was official!

Super Senior Member

The following 24 months were spent researching every little detail! I have some experience in organising events so I put what I knew into practice, I created a spreadsheet detailing costs, guest list, contact details for suppliers etc. Then I pulled snippets from magazines and the internet of things I liked and suppliers that I had heard off.

This was all run past Nick of course and he chipped in with what he liked or more so for what he didn***8217;t! We***8217;re lucky in that we have very similar tastes so much of the planning was a breeze! I think a lot of the stress free business can be attributed to the fact we didn***8217;t tell anyone about the finer details. It meant there was no room for meddlers and made the whole day that more special for our guests. I***8217;d highly recommend it.

So every two or three months Nick and I would allocate time to sorting one small aspect of the day whether it be the cake or the ceremony music it didn***8217;t matter it just meant we could tick things off at our own pace.

We didn***8217;t even involve our best men until about May/June time this year!

Nick chose his best friend from school and I chose my friend of 9 years. As you may have read from a previous thread our best men took us to Edinburgh where we all enjoyed a lovely meal and a night on the tiles!

Senior Platinum Member

Congratulations John! First day back from holiday so I have alot to catch up on! Loving your report so far! xx

Congratulations John :-) u look so happy, cant wait to hear more! Xx

Super Senior Member

So Nick and I finished work on the Wednesday (28th). We spent most of Thursday tidying and cleaning the flat and packing. Don***8217;t underestimate how long this will take and how much you will have to pack.... I could believe it. Two large suitcases, two weekend bags, three boxes and three kilt carriers and that was just for the two of us!

By four o***8217;clock it was time to head to McCall***8217;s on Ingram Street for our kilts. During the planning process Nick and I decided early on we would wear the National Pride Tartan. We had both worn it on separate occasions and really like it. So we headed up to Glasgow, picked up our kilts and were back in Kilmarnock in just over an hour. Perfect!

The reason we picked our kilts up a day earlier than usual was the poor customer service we received when we went in to book. Nick and I went in and were thrown a few items told to try them on and left in less than 20 mins. Nick again went with his best man and it was pretty much the same. I then went with my best man and it was no different. I guess we could have gone somewhere else but the National Pride and the Platinum Pride we went for aren***8217;t widely available. Anyway I eventually sat down with the order forms and half the items were missing for each person. Argh! So after numerous phone calls and emails we had decided to pick our order up two days before the big day just in case.

As soon as we got home I checked everything was present and correct, thankfully it was and Nick and I tried ours on. EEK! Nicks waistcoat was too tight and the sleeves on my jacket were too long! Another phone call to McCalls, the young girls confirmed she could swap Nicks waistcoat but my jacket would have to be hemmed........

My best man (Johnathan) arrived to try his on and thankfully it all fitted. Johnathan was my worry as he***8217;s rather petite. He took Nick's best man***8217;s (Jamie) kilt away. Jamie was going to be meeting Johnathan on the Friday to go over speeches.

The speeches as started to worry Nick and I. We had eventually decided that I do enough talking for the both of us normally so Nick would do the thank you speech on our behalf. As you may have seen from my countdown the speeches were left to the last minute!

Nick writing his speech.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	053.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	10058

Super Senior Member

Friday 30th August

We both woke as usual at 6:15am. We spent some time in bed (with Maisie of course) just chatting about the upcoming events, what needed to be done before then, our worries and our excitement!

It was a fairly leisurely morning as we couldn***8217;t check into Grand Central till about three. We had called the reservations manager the night before and he said he***8217;d call if we could get in earlier.

We decided about half 11 to head up anyway, as you may remember I had to unexpectedly source some gluten free cakes. Our saviours came in the form of The Little Cake Parlour http://www.littlecakeparlour.com So the cakes were picked up on route to the NCP on Gordon Street. We then walked to McCalls they swapped Nick***8217;s waistcoat and hemmed my jacket. I was a little worried about the jacket but when it was finished you couldn***8217;t tell.

Unfortunately there was no call from the reservations manager so we decided to have lunch. On one of our many trips to Glasgow we had spotted Mercado in Merchant Square. We had some lovely Spanish tapas and a wee drink!

During our lunch Nick had missed a call from the reservations manager who had left a voicemail. We wrapped up lunch and headed to the NCP unfortunately with it being midday on a Friday when we initially parked it was full to burst and the only place we could get was on the 10th floor. As you may or may not know the fifth level opens onto platform 15 of the station and it***8217;s just a short walk to the hotel.

Anyway we decided to check into the hotel which was a lovely experience. Anytime we have dealt with Grand Central we have been treated like kings and this was no exception. Lynsey the guest relations manager took us to our suite. We had booked the Robert Rowan Anderson Suite and it was stunning. We also had a lovely card from Lynsey welcoming us back to the hotel and wishing us a special day (tomorrow).

Then the fun began, carting the two large suitcases, two weekend bags, three boxes, three kilt carriers and my gluten free cakes down to the fifth floor and through the station! To be fair Lynsey did offer to send the concierge but we weren***8217;t thinking. Concierge did however take everything from reception to our room as we did the three trips!

Finally we were in and getting unpacked. What a relief it was. Elaine our event coordinator knocked on the door to see how we were getting on. She had reserved a table in the champagne bar for our final meeting. Nick and I showered and dressed and headed for the final meeting. We were joined by Elaine and Kieran our Operations team leader/master of ceremonies (his title doesn***8217;t do him justice, he really was a star). We had a little drink with them and went over the final details. It went well and all I had forgotten in my planning was a pen for signing the guest book!

Nick and I then went to Citation Tavern and Restaurant on Wilson Street. We enjoyed a fantastic meal and a wee drink and headed back to the hotel about 9 o***8217;clock. We were shattered.