Thread: Reception Venue Building Work

Default Reception Venue Building Work

We get married 10th May 2014 and the other night I had a call from our reception venue to say they will no longer have the room for our evening (there's one for our meal and a larger room for the evening) as they are turning it into bedrooms.

I'm a bit peeved that we won't have the larger room for the night as it'll be a push to fit all of our evening & day guests into the smaller room plus I'm not sure where the guests will go between the room changes. There's a hotel bar but it's very small.

What I'm most concerned about is the work is due to start by the end of the year but I imagine they will go ahead with their party nights for Christmas before the work commences and they estimate it will take 3-4 months to complete the work - what if it over runs and there is scaffolding all over the place and materials lying about. My h2b works in the local builders merchant so he's really concerned that the building will run over.

Not sure if I'm giving myself extra worry for nothing as it might all be done or if I should try to get a disount or something from them

The joys - I knew it was all going too smoothly!

I would absolutely ask for a discount or a refund if you want to go some place else. Check your contract and emails, if you have it in writing they really should't argue with you looking for money back. What venue is it?

That is really out of order! I know you must be really worried I would be too! As booniechica says I would carefully check the wording of your contract, the reason you chose the venue was because of the options it gave you for space! Very unfair!!!
    A discount would be the least that they could offer you! Good luck getting it sorted!

if its in your contract that you would have use of both rooms then they are breaking their contract. i changed my venue from glenbervie to solsgirth after being told there was permission to build on the grounds on glenbervie and due to this i got my deposit etc transferred - is it a company who has other venues you could change to? or else go for the money off option or tell them they have broken their contract. i know it doesnt make up for it but its terrible that venues can do this!

As the ladies have said check the contract. I would also be expressing my distaste to the venue before even getting into the nitty gritty of the contract. When you booked your venue you booked the whole lot, you were sold the idea and vision of your wedding in that place as it is. I think it's terrible they've done that. Good luck honey.xxx

My brother got married back in 97! He had planned to use the Cutty Sark's function room for his reception and at that time was approx 500 to hire it. His wife really liked the Queen's House but at 3500 (back then!) to hire it was out of the question. Approx 2 months before the wedding, he got a letter from the Cutty Sark saying...."I hope you dont mind but we are having an exhibition then and we'll be using part of the function room for the exhibition, thus reducing the floor area by 20%". My brother replied stating yes he did mind and that he would be speaking to his lawyer about it (bluster!). The Cutty Sark folk got really nervous and immediately said that the Queen's House was available on that day and would they be interested in it and there would be no extra charge.

Threaten the legal route and you might get better than you originally wanted.

Thanks for the advice ladies We have a meeting with them this afternoon so we'll go with our questions first about how they are going to work around it and see what they say but we're kind of stuck because we have booked Guthrie Castle for our ceremony and purposely decided on a local hotel so that guests didn't have the hassle of long bus journeys home. They own another hotel in the town but I checked and it's booked and there isn't really anywhere else where we feel the quality of food and service is the same and to be honest I'm not that keen on any of the other venues nearby without them costing a fortune and needing to put on more buses for guests.

When we had our initial meeting (we know the wedding co-ordinator personally) because it us, she'd mentioned that they were looking to refurbish at some point but it would probably be after our wedding. She said that if it was before then the evening room was being converted into something else but that part of it would be merged with the room we're having for our meal and that room would also be updated so we kind of thought at least we'd have a larger room and also a newly refurbished one to compensate but the owner told me that the room for our meal isn't being touched.

I'm hopeful that as we know her she'll be totally honest and straight with us (I think she will) and we'll see what our options are but I think a discount is all we can do and if there is still building work going on then it's just tough At 9 months to go (and a baby on the way too) we're just going to have to make the best of it.

Thanks again everyone - it's nice to have other peoples input x

hope you get everything sorted. That's terrible that they can just turn around and say to all the couples, were having to change things that probably were agreed such a long time ago. Defo speak to them air your concerns and you never know might end up with the better deal like someone else mentioned. Hope it all goes well :-) xx