Thread: Would you be upset if....

Default Would you be upset if....

ok so I'm starting to feel like I live on the 'emotional support' thread!

Would you be upset if....a family member booked their holiday for the same place and same week as your honeymoon (same flights different hotel)?

They go 3/4 foreign holidays a year and have been to the same place we're going at least 6 times, twice last year alone. So it's not like they struggled to pay for a holiday and this is a big deal to them. Our honeymoon has been booked for months and they knew exactly when and where so they've booked this in full knowledge it was the same.

They are EXTREMELY competitive people and can't stand to see anyone have anything they don't.

To them it's just another holiday but we've been so excited and had to scrimp and save for it.

I tried to talk to them and got told that I'm not f***ing dictating to them where and when they go on holiday and they don't give a f**k what I think.

I feel at the moment I have one drama after another with family, no one is excited for my wedding they're either totally disintersted or seem to actively be tying to sabotage it 😢 seriously considering cutting ties with certain people after it. My wedding is 5 weeks away and I'm not even excited thanks to all the drama (my sister also kicked off last week and ruined my hair trial and hen weekend).

I just feel that by doing this they're taking the 'specialness' away from our honeymoon. Am I being stupid/selfish/bridezilla-ish?!
    😢😢😢

Super Senior Member Laurabelle84's Avatar

Weddings certainly bring out the worse in some people eh?

I think I would be pretty upset too if I'm totally honest, especially if they're the type of people you say. Take some comfort in knowing that this may just be a holiday to them, this is your honeymoon & you have worked hard for it & will enjoy it so much more. So whilst they are just cutting about not experiencing anything new, you & your new hubby are relishing in seeing all the new things & having all new experiences after 1 of the best days of your life. Xx

Super Senior Member

Hiya. Yes I would be upset and see your point that you've worked really hard to save up to get there but it's your honeymoon rather than a holiday and it will be super special regardless xxx

Aw what a shame, that's totally rubbish. A similar thing happened to me last week......booked honeymoon and went to work told everyone and my boss pipes up her and husband are were looking at the same hotel for their anniversary this year before we go!! I was a bit peeved so made a few jokes about how I would not forgive her if she booked it.....hope she takes the hint!!!

I guess there isn't a lot you can do if they have booked but I imagine other people will think they are very strange for doing it!! Obviously they don't have very good imaginations, try not to get too upset and don't tell them anything else!! x

Platinum Member

To be honest, it wouldn't upset me. I'm not saying you are wrong to be upset, but I would have just laughed it off as them being idiots. If it's somewhere that they go to regularly, they obviously go there because they love it so maybe they are just inconsiderate, or maybe they were doing it to make a point. However, it's really their issue and not yours. You are at a different hotel so you should be able to have a fab time without worrying about what they are doing. Try to just shrug it off and go have the best time ever.

Quote Originally Posted by amoricksen View Post
    To be honest, it wouldn't upset me. I'm not saying you are wrong to be upset.
    Thanks for the little bit of perspective, your probably right it is their issue not mine. Probably I'm taking it a but personally it just seems like they're doing it to prove the point that they can if you know what I mean? Oh well can't stop people being petty I guess. Wedding planning just seems to have brought out the worst in my family
    Lxx

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LolaGtobe View Post
    Thanks for the little bit of perspective, your probably right it is their issue not mine. Probably I'm taking it a but personally it just seems like they're doing it to prove the point that they can if you know what I mean? Oh well can't stop people being petty I guess. Wedding planning just seems to have brought out the worst in my family
    Lxx
    Totally understand and as you have been having a hard time with family already, it's probably just been a culmination of things that's made you feel worse about it. But if they are doing this to prove a point, then I would say that you have won already. What a sad life they must have if they have to do something like this to feel good about themselves.

Remember their holiday will just be another in their long list, nothing special. Your honeymoon is a once in a lifetime experience. So laugh it off, as best you can, and just have the most amazing honeymoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Merrick View Post

Your honeymoon is what you make of it, same as their holiday is what they make of it. You probably wont even see them. You never know, it might even be nice to meet for a drink and chat about your big day.
    Can see where your coming from on the rest but I sure as heck won't be meeting up with them lol. Thanks for the input though, I'd rather people gave me an honest take on it rather than just saying what I want to hear.

I totally take your point and yeah if someone tried to tell me when and where I could go I'd probably be annoyed as well.

The thing is they are exactly the kind of people who have done it for spite and will go around saying oh L and J are going to the same place as us but our hotel cost £xx and is so many stars higher rated than theirs etc etc. and try to devalue our honeymoon.
    They also had originally booked their time off work for a month later the school October week but changed it so it's exactly the same week as ours even though it means taking their son out of school during term time.

That's just how they are, everything's a competition, how big is your house, how new is your car, how many holidays a year, how big is your tv etc.

Couple of examples: when my mum moved a few years ago they actually went to view a house the same as hers even though they had no intention of moving, just to find out what her house was worth; they didn't speak to my sister for 4 months after my neice was born because they didn't get to be FIRST to see the baby; my cousin just had her dream holiday (Florida/Bahamas) and they were livid demanding to know how she afforded it when she's a student and they both have so much better jobs than her (none of their bloody business!) they're now going round anyone who'll listen insinuating that her bf paid for it and she's a gold digger!

It's tedious even under normal circumstances, I just hoped with it being my wedding they could give it a rest for once. Maybe next year they can renew their vows and make that a competition too.

Tbh I've seen the worst in a few family members in the run up to my wedding and decided that blood ties notwithstanding people so petty aren't people I want in my life.

Lx
    Last edited by LolaGtobe; 05-08-2013 at 07:41 PM.

Lol that made me smile yeah they're belters! Can't choose your family! Lx

Platinum Member

Are they related to Hyacinth Bucket by any chance?? What numpties... I bet anyone who had to listen to them cannot wait to escape!! xx

Created by Wedding Favors

Quote Originally Posted by carirw View Post
    Are they related to Hyacinth Bucket by any chance?? What numpties... I bet anyone who had to listen to them cannot wait to escape!! xx
    Lol honestly they are unbelievable! I'm feeling a lot better about it now tbh almost finding it funny. Can't be much going on in their own lives if having a bigger tv or more expensive holiday than their own family is what makes them feel good about themselves.
    Lx

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LolaGtobe View Post
    Lol honestly they are unbelievable! I'm feeling a lot better about it now tbh almost finding it funny. Can't be much going on in their own lives if having a bigger tv or more expensive holiday than their own family is what makes them feel good about themselves.
    Lx
    Exactly!

That is such a rubbish thing that they've done but instead of getting angry about it (which will only get you stressed out), try changing your view of them. Reading the things they've previously done I would start to feel sorry for them. They must have a really sad life if this is how they get their kicks!!

They could be in the most expensive accommodation with the plushest of surroundings but it is who you are with that makes a holiday special. I can put money on you & your h2b having a fantastic honeymoon! Cx

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chick20 View Post
    They could be in the most expensive accommodation with the plushest of surroundings but it is who you are with that makes a holiday special. I can put money on you & your h2b having a fantastic honeymoon! Cx
    If they are that small-minded and competitive they probably won't even enjoy it as they'll be worried about the people who have more money to spend on suites/posher champagne etc.

Glad you are finding it almost funny now Lola, they really are just showing themselves up. Enjoy your planning and your amazing honeymoon and try not to give them another thought x

Created by Wedding Favors

Get over it! Look forward to your special time! just shows how unhappy they really are if they need to try and belittle everyone else. Uninvite them