Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sunday 26th May - My Wedding Report

aw you had thought of so many surprises! enjoying your report, and what a cute wee tootie you have! xx

Platinum Member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	374.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	9192

Dad and I on way to the aisle

Platinum Member

Name:	385.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	9193

At the altar

Platinum Member

Name:	409.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	9194

The venue

Platinum Member

Name:	415.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	9195

We hardly stopped laughing all day

Platinum Member

Name:	455.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	9196

Signing the register

Platinum Member

Name:	471.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	9197

Walking back up the aisle

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostMrsM View Post
    aw you had thought of so many surprises! enjoying your report, and what a cute wee tootie you have! xx
    Aw thanks. I hadn't really intended on it at the beginning but they just sort of happened naturally. I was so happy though that I managed to keep them secret as Stuart was over the one with each one of them.

Yeh I have a wee cutie don't I (even though I'm biased) and she was a star all day long, slept or just watched all day. So chuffed as I was worried it would be too much for her.

Platinum Member

Gorgeous, just gorgeous!!

Created by Wedding Favors

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by carirw View Post
    Gorgeous, just gorgeous!!
    Aww shucks!

Sorry it's taking so long to complete. It's so hard to get time with the little one and then when I do, it's trying to remember it all lol.

Platinum Member

It was a lovely day, not too hot, not too cold, just perfect for the photo's. We headed over and got some photos crossing the road etc.

Ladies, be sure to break in your shoes. I kind of did, but nowhere near enough and my feet were killing me. Also, be pre-emptive and put plasters on or protectors or something as I couldn't wear my shoes past the meal, not great with a long dress on and flat shoes!

Anyway, we got some group photo's and had a giggle (I honestly laughed all day). Kirsty and Ross were amazing, really good and made sure all the photos we asked for were covered. In hindsight, I wish I had pushed a bit to get some with Mia, who had basically slept through the whole service and photos and most of the meal as it turns out. Even if we had some with her in her pram sleeping, I would have been happy with that, but that is defo a hindsight thing and not the photographers fault.

The council guy was over to us within minutes making sure we had a licence, so be sure to get this if you want photos. We also had some random tourist come over and ask if he could take photos of us, quite funny.

Kirsty roped in some folk to walk behind us for some shots (as we quite liked that life was going on behind us but everyone was avoiding the area as they didn't want to ruin our photos lol).

Then it was over to the venue for final photos and to greet our guests again.

This is when the first issue with the venue came up.

Platinum Member

Oh I forget to say about an embarrassing moment in the day.

When we were meeting the guests after the ceremony they all came in individuals or couples to congratulate us and two cousins from Greenock came and gave me a hug. Now they were the only ones I invited to the day from Greenock, the rest were evening invites only. So then another older couple came up with them and introduced themselves by name and for some reason I thought it was a relative from Greenock and told them I didn't have a meal for them. You should have seen the look on their face, they were not happy and just said 'you are kidding'. I said don't worry I will sort something for you and they were so shocked, I felt awful.

As they walked away it clicked. They were my mum and dad's friends from years ago who were most definitely invited to the day. I was mortified and chased after them to explain lol. I don't think they believed me at first but I managed to convince them lol.

Here's a great pic capturing the moment.

Name:	483.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	9203

Platinum Member

Anyway, this is dragging on and I'm sure I am boring everyone, so I will try to get to the end at last lol.

The issues with the venue:

We came back to the venue for the photographs inside and the photographer led us upstairs for photos in the gallery and this is when she advised us that she had asked the venue for a glass of sparkling each for the bride and groom and was advised that the bottles for the reception were finished and if we wanted a glass we would have to buy a bottle, but they would supply us with sparkling water instead. Kirsty advised us that this is the first time ever that a venue has refused to supply a glass of sparkling for the bride and groom. I was not a happy camper I can tell you but I decided to leave it and discuss it with the venue after the wedding as I was in a good mood and although unhappy I didn't want to get on a downer. I should have pushed it as it's clear in the photos that this is not sparkling wine.

I was also asked twice by the venue which table to place non alcoholic beer (as requested). Again not a big deal but this was in my table plan so the staff should have been made aware of this.

The top table was not set out as requested, I had asked for Mr & Mrs letters in the middle with a small lantern on each side, then one of the bridesmaids flowers facing out to the guests on each side of the lanterns, then another lantern, then the other bridesmaids flowers, then another lantern. This should have stretched the length of the table. Everything was correct except for the bridesmaids flowers which had been placed in a bowl (2 in each bowl), squashed together. Also the order of the seating was the wrong way round. I left the top table arrangement as again I thought 'I'm not going to stress myself about it' and asked them to change the order of the seating (as I wanted Stuart in front of the Mr and me in front of the Mrs). Sorted(ish).

So then we are ready to sit down to dinner. What I didn't know, and found out later was that two of my guests who were slightly late getting to their table were told they would not be receiving a glass of sparkling for the toast as there was none left!!!!

Anyway we sit down to dinner and get the speeches done (I'll comment on these later). Then the starter comes out. I had tried the starter at our tasting and it was mini fish and chips, lovely fish in a very light batter with lovely handcut chips and mushy peas. What came out was white fish on it's own skin, with the chips and peas. Not what we ordered. I was gutted. This was the dish I was most looking forward to. Now most of the guests didn't know and everyone loved it, but it wasn't the point, it wasn't what I ordered. I was not happy. We took a walk round to talk to guests in between courses and I asked my veggie friend (who was at the tasting) how her veggie meal was (vanilla poached pear, with blue cheese and walnut dressing). She said 'well I wasn't going to mention it unless you asked but there was no blue cheese, there was no walnut and there was only half a pear compared to a full pear we had at the tasting'. Now come on, how much does a pear cost that they can't give us a full pear. We paid thousands for this venue. I was raging, not what you want to be on your wedding day. It was such a shame as I had been so chilled about everything before and not worrying about the little things until then.

Platinum Member

You might think this was the end of the issues with the meal but it wasn't.

There was a big delay between the main and the desert (which I am advised by the venue is because there were still people eating the main, which I can't confirm nor deny as I didn't go round and check).

Finally I ordered Ice Cream Sunday for the kids and they got ice cream and fruit in a bowl. That's not an ice cream sundae. I was gutted as I know how much kids love Sundae's and this is what I told the parents they would be getting.

The disabled toilets were disgusting, the floor was wet all evening and when you are using this toilet in a long wedding dress, this is not fun.

Finally my mum requested Smirnoff vodka instead of the cheap stuff they were serving and while they confirmed that they do stock Smirnoff they refused to sell it.

Some of these issues are not huge, and if it wasn't for the issue with the meal, I may have still mentioned them but not been as unhappy about it as I understand things happen and mistakes happen, but when you add them all together it wasn't impressive.

I have since discussed all of these issues with the venue and I have to say that they have answered these points and offered compensation which I am happy with, so they have handled the complaint very well (well apart from telling me that the staff placed the flowers in water to keep them alive - they were fake silk flowers and there was no water in the bowls they put them in!!!!).

I would still recommend dealing with the venue (not really naming and shaming as such, as I have posted previously what the venue is, but haven't mentioned here), however I would just advise to double check all your details and make sure you are happy with the answers given before the day. Maybe don't be as chilled as I was and be a bit more of a bridezilla and maybe these things won't happen to you lol.

Platinum Member

Oh, and I forgot, when we went to collect our items (which we have to do max 48 hours after the event or they will dispose of the items), they weren't all there. We had to go back another day to collect our cake stand (and some other items), however it was missing the top tier, some separators and the box it came in. I have been advised if these are not found in the next few weeks we will be reimbursed for these.

Super Senior Member

I'm so sorry to hear you had issues with the venue. Its just not the memory you want that you are not 100% happy.
    We are having our reception in the same place so its really good to know about potential issues in advance. I have 2 disabled guests, a few who'll need to change babies, not to mention my dress so that toilet better be bloody clean or I will be a bridezilla ) Hope you still had a fabulous day, it all looks awesome!!!
    Similar happened to my friend with her venue throwing out all her extra cake, Hunter wellies and flat shoes she had for dancing went missing. Ridiculous!

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tigger78 View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear you had issues with the venue. Its just not the memory you want that you are not 100% happy.
    We are having our reception in the same place so its really good to know about potential issues in advance. I have 2 disabled guests, a few who'll need to change babies, not to mention my dress so that toilet better be bloody clean or I will be a bridezilla ) Hope you still had a fabulous day, it all looks awesome!!!
    Similar happened to my friend with her venue throwing out all her extra cake, Hunter wellies and flat shoes she had for dancing went missing. Ridiculous!
    To be honest the food was lovely (although I hardly ate anything and I don't know if that's because I was annoyed at this stage or just because of the excitement of the day), the waiting staff were great (although work colleagues mentioned today that the staff poured so much wine into some glasses that they didn't get round all the guests at the table, so another thing to watch out for), the venue is stunning and apart from the disabled toilet it was clean.

They have handled the complaint fairly well and have been very apologetic. I'm sure that they are just as unhappy as I am that we had issues so at least they haven't washed their hands of it and denied everything like some venues would do.

We still had an amazing day, but if you can head these things off at the passť then you should have a fantastic time. Everyone commented on the venue and the food all day and evening so I'm sure the guests hardly noticed any hiccups.

Platinum Member

Name:	704.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	9210

Here we are with our sparkling ................ water lol

Platinum Member

Name:	716.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	9211

Our tables

Platinum Member

Name:	718.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	9212

Top Table

Platinum Member

Name:	720.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	9213

Platinum Member

Love your report and gorgeous pictures!

I can't believe they wouldn't give you a glass of sparkling wine for your photo for goodness sake, after all that money you spent!! I think you did brilliantly staying relaxed about everything, but I would also have been a bit upset that there were a few details not right. As you said, one or two things and they would be forgotten by now but it all adds up doesn't it. I will also be watching out for our venue over filling the glasses so that people are forced to buy more booze. We are the kind of people who would have bought the extra fizz and put even more wine on the tables but will have to avoid this as we couldn't afford the extra bar bill! Your venue looks stunning though and so glad you had a brilliant day xx

Platinum Member

You looked amazing AnnMarie and all your details are beautiful - such a gorgeous venue.

I'm also in shock that they wouldn't give you some bubbly, the other mistakes can happen but that is total meanness. Not providing a couple of latecomers with their drink for the toast is the same, I would have been fuming!! I'm glad that they are dealing with your complaints properly though, as you said there are many venues who would dismiss them.... Perhaps they will learn that for the price of a couple of bottles of bubbly, they would get a whole lot more positive PR!

Created by Wedding Favors

Super Senior Member

Sounds like some staff training is required. I have worked at many functions and would NEVER refuse a bride a welcome drink even if it meant sorting out the bill later. Its just common sense.

Platinum Member

Thanks guys, I feel so much better now as I was starting to think I was maybe being a bit fussy. These are definitely the things that annoyed me most. The lack of drink for us was insulting considering the money we spent, but as it was for us and not our guests I just got on with that but if I knew about my friends not getting a drink for the toast I would have kicked up a total stink I can tell you. I arranged for a drink for everyone for the toast, not for a number of bottles. That was up to the venue to work out how many bottles were required.

I was told that they provided an extra bottle for the reception (as requested) so that took a bottle away from the toasts. Firstly I didn't request an extra bottle for reception, it was due to more guests choosing wine over beer (as I provided a mix). I would have happily have bought another bottle if someone had discussed this with me.

I have been told that the staff member was aware the bottles were finished but should have discussed this with the banqueting manager and they would have sorted this for us. I know for a fact there was bottles of red left over at the end of the night and I paid for these but these weren't returned to me and this must happen all the time so you think the venue would be flexible for a glass here or there.

From what I've been told though it was a misunderstanding from the staff members and it should have been resolved, so they will ensure staff are aware of it in future. With a bit of communication on the night it would have been sorted.