Thread: My DIY wedding - Help needed

Cool My DIY wedding - Help needed

Hi Guys,

We have had to bring forward our wedding to July this year after finding out we are expecting a wee delivery in November! (Were supposed to be getting married next August in Oran Mor)

Its all happened very quick and my Parents have been brillianrt getting our venue booked for us although the budget is a little more limited now as less time to pay for everything so needing to do a lot of DIY.

That said I have just ordered my invites from a guy off ebay whos taking just over 100 to make 20 day invites and 160 night invites (although I need to purchase my own envelopes).

Im going for a vintage theme bunting/shabby chic etc and pastel colours as a sort of baby theme haha.

We are only having 30 day guests so will be our top table and 3 round tables, im going to have table cloths on each in my pastel colours and have bunting for a sort of chair sash. I think im going to cheat and use some white ornate picture frames ive already got for my table names but I cant decide on centre pieces at all!

Flowers would be nice but obviously im limited on time and budget so not sure what kind of vases etc to have? Or maybe not have flowers at all... candles or something would be nice.

Any advice or ideas would be great if someone is having a similar theme etc?

Thanks - sorry for the long post!
    I love looking at all your pics and getting ideas so ill update this thread with my creations, thankfully im quite arty and my mum is amazing with a sewing machine.

Super Senior Platinum Member MissMartin's Avatar

A good idea for a vintage wedding would be a dessert table People bake cakes/treats and bring them along, it would fit in lovely.... also have you seen the wooden peg cake toppers?

Oooh good idea! I love dessert - do you just mean a table with a few different cakes on for people to pick from? I wonder if my venue would allow that...

No I havent seen them do you have a link? xx

Super Senior Member Owl proposal's Avatar

For a vintage theme you could just have small vases / jugs / old jam jars with a few wild flowers or garden type flowers as centrepieces.
    Or you could get some floral / vintage looking cake stands for centrepieces and decorate with a few candles or flowers.
    Or you could go for pastel coloured balloon centrepieces to give a country fair feeling

I am having a similar sort of theme and I am planning having wicker baskets as my table centers with alcohol in them. (kinda like this http://www.greatbritishbaskets.co.uk...-DARKBUFF.aspx) I might also attach heart shaped balloons to them. I did start of wanting picnic baskets but they are quite expensive to buy new and I thought these baskets were easier for people to get stuff out off instead of having to open a lid.

Also I am going to have teacups with flowers in them on the table as well - probably around 6 spread round the table. (going for silk flowers as then I can do them in advance as I have to set up my own venue).

For the top of one of my cakes I am planning making mini bunting either with our names or just married written on the bunting.

I like the sound of the dessert table tho! x

Super Senior Platinum Member FutureMrsAdie's Avatar

Something like this could look quite pretty and fit in really well with your vintage theme. You could use artificial flowers and petals for decoration. Country Baskets is great for artificial flowers.

http://www.easyfloristsupplies.co.uk...er/p20795.html

P.S. Congratulations on your pending arrival! What an exciting start to married life

Super Senior Member

Congratulations!

You seem to have you organised and sensible head on with regards to budget!

As soon as you said 'vintage' I immediately thought patterned cake stands for centrepieces. They can be customised with pretty much anything and can cost very little from charity shops or online.

I'm having birdcages with candles 8 from Matalan have also been collecting jam jars and tying them with pretty ribbon can fill them with supermarket flowers or candles also collected lovely china cups from charity shops x

Some lovely ideas here for 'upcycling' glass jars and tin cans with bits of ribbon and lace
    http://www.elizabethannedesigns.com/...-centerpieces/
    Might not be quite the style you are going for but the tin cans would be very cheap to make and you wouldn't see the stems if doing the flowers yourself!

Pinterest is your friend. ;-)

I was at a wedding recently, with a vintage theme and the bride made paper flowers.
    If you feel handy you could have a go at making your own?
    How about heart-shaped confetti, made from old books?
    Birdcages are also very popular, and look lovely with candles inside. Lots of mason jars with tealights could be cute. You could either glue some cotton lace round the middle and then tie a piece of ribbon (twice) round over the top, or alternatively burlap and rafta? Alternatively, how about glueing on some old buttons to mason jars?
    If you've got any material from your bridesmaid dresses, you could incorporate this into your centrepieces?

I think sometimes it's about being time rich when it comes to DIY but have a look on Pinterest, get some ideas, practice one or two and see which ones work easiest/ most effectively!

Hiya and congratulations. I am having a loosely vintage themed wedding. Our table centres are vintage cake stands decorated with fresh flowers. If you have a look at my thread on here about wedding invitations, further on into the thread I have a picture of a mock up of one of my table centres that my florist made for me. It will give you an idea of what they look like. Happy planning!x

I used glasses from IKEA for my flowers, they looked exactly like vases but were a pack of 6 beer glasses for only 3.99! Be quick though as they are a seasonal item and only have them in spring time! I used daffodils but in summer you could get supermarket roses quite cheap and then they double up as cheap keepsake gifts for your guests at the end of the night! X

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	8890

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for all your comments, ideas all sound brilliant, tin cans with maybe lace etc round them and flowers in and the wee jars with candles in would be lovely so ill have a wee think and see what we can come up with!

We are going to hunt for some fabric for the bunting etc at the weekend and that will be the colour scheme sorted so can go from there! So much to think about, havent even got a dress yet! Im going to be almost 6 months by the time we get married so trying to get everything sorted asap!

Thanks again - ill keep you all updated xxx

ooo congratulations x

for extra decorations I have bought some clear rectangle vases from ikea and am going to glue some lace around the middle with a wee ribbon slider in the middle for sparkle. they are going to be filled with the clear gel balls and some flowers with a wee led in the bottom of the vase.

Emma
    Last edited by emma1109; 13-05-2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by emma1109 View Post
    ooo congratulations x

for extra decorations I have bought some clear rectangle vases from ikea and am going to glue some lace around the middle with a wee ribbon slider in the middle for sparkle. they are going to be filled with the clear gel balls and some flowers with a wee led in the bottom of the vase.

Emma
    Ah ha!!! Is that how you get the gel balls to light up then? Sorry for gatecrashing the threat but I have been googling away trying to find the light up ones....... soooo easy when you know how!! I feel a bit daft now!!!

Yeah you can buy wee waterproof led lights that are like watch batteries inside them and you pop them in the bottom of the vase xx

Senior Platinum Member Harajuku80's Avatar

congratulations on your fab news! It's certainly all happening for you guys! I'm not sure about the vintage theme stuff, but B&Ms has FAB homewares which you could use for a very good price! I'm getting my centrepiece fishbowls from there for 2.99 each! Good Luck xx
    Friday 1st May 2015