Thread: Red Lipstick

Red face Red Lipstick

Hi ladies.

I think I want to wear red lipstick on the big day to tie in with my grey and red theme. Also I know i'm going to cry all day/have watery eyes so I'm keeping eye make up to a minimum and feel I need statement lips to make up for this.

Weddings a while away but I want to spend sometime getting the perfect shade and long wear lipstick (plus a girl can never have too much make up so it's a way to boost the make up collection haha).

I prefer more matte lipsticks and certainly don't want a gloss but do you have any suggestions ladies?

Super Senior Member Owl proposal's Avatar

There's a really good red lip stain, I think its YSL. It's a bit pricey but it doesn't budge!

Platinum Member

Definitley Mac Ruby Woo, Lady Danger or Russian Red- can't beat a Mac lippy for staying power and colour! My Fave is Ruby Woo but get the girls in Mac to help you choose the best one for your skin tone Chanel also do great lipstick but I have never had a red from them, only pinky/nude shades xx

Senior Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brizey View Post
    (plus a girl can never have too much make up so it's a way to boost the make up collection haha).
    I second that! I just spent 170 at the Clinique counter last week in boots! Decided I needed to start getting good make up and having a proper moisturising routine!

I will keep an eye you for good red lipsticks though! Xx

Quote Originally Posted by Owl proposal View Post
    There's a really good red lip stain, I think its YSL. It's a bit pricey but it doesn't budge!
    Thanks x

Quote Originally Posted by FutureMrsJ View Post
    Definitley Mac Ruby Woo, Lady Danger or Russian Red- can't beat a Mac lippy for staying power and colour! My Fave is Ruby Woo but get the girls in Mac to help you choose the best one for your skin tone Chanel also do great lipstick but I have never had a red from them, only pinky/nude shades xx
    I've tried Lady Danger and it's a little too orangey. But will look at Ruby Woo, thanks. Is it a particular range or just their standard lippys? xx

Quote Originally Posted by sparklebride12 View Post
    I second that! I just spent 170 at the Clinique counter last week in boots! Decided I needed to start getting good make up and having a proper moisturising routine!

I will keep an eye you for good red lipsticks though! Xx
    Haha, I've already been shopping for a skin care regime. I'm looking a priori mineral stuff though!

Thanks for keeping an eye out. xx

Platinum Member

Just their standard range, I try to avoid limited edition Mac stuff as I fall in love and can never get it again lol! I would just head to Frasers or Debenahms and do a wee tour of all the counters to try out options Ruby Woo is a bit bluer so is really flattering, gives you nice white teeth xx

Thanks FutureMrsJ xx

Default Red Lipstick

As a professional makeup artist and red lipstick wearer myself I always wear Chanel as it stays on much better than Mac.Try Gabrielle in Coco Rouge and Chanel red lip pencil.Outline the lips with the pencil then taking the pencil on it's side fill in with the pencil.Smudge in with a cotton bud then apply a coat of lipstick blot then apply another coat.When I am working all day with no time to refresh my own makeup this is what I do and I gaurantee this will stay put.

Thanks Karen, will certainly check this out.

And thanks again for the great application advice xx

Super Senior Platinum Member MissMartin's Avatar

I really want to wear red lipstick on my big day, problem is that I have a wonky jaw! if I let my mouth relax naturally, then my top teeth sit over the top of my bottom ones. This means that my top teeth don't get as much saliva on them, so are very dry.

This means if I wear red liptick, it always ends up sticking to my top/front teeth. Same if I drink something dark. Really really want red lips but don't want to smile and have it all over my teeth.

Meh

Super Senior Platinum Member SpecialSundae's Avatar

I wear the evil two stage red lipstick so that it stays on my lips and nowhere else. MAC do one in red that's very similar to Russian Red and suits me down to the ground.
    Fairy Gokmother

Just touching back on this ladies, thanks for all your suggestions.

I thought I was going to go for MAC in Ruby Woo, even bought it. But then I discovered Lime Crime Velvetines in Red Velvet... holy moly, hands down the best matte lipstick there is, it is as if it's a gloss but then dries matte within seconds! You do need lip liner though or it will bleed down cause it's more or lip stain in that way.

Anyway, wanted to recommend it. xx

Hello,

While MAC lipsticks are brilliant, they will fade/come off eventually. Maxfactor LipFinity is my lippy of choice for longevity, I have so many compliments about how my lipstick has stayed perfect for 12+ hours! It comes with an optional gloss but for long lasting events I don't use the gloss. I line my lips then use the lippy only (you paint it on with a doe-foot applicator). One word of warning is do not paint it on thick or go over and over to build up colour; this will make it flake and go dry and horrible. It's a very opaque lippy so one applicaiton should do, then leave your lips apart to allow it to dry. Then, it won't budge until you scrub it off using a face wipe!

Good luck
    Sunday 7th September 2014