Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anyone else dealing with a Mother-of-the-Bridezilla?

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSneddonToBe View Post
    I have to say, reading these posts I'm so happy my mum isn't a mawzilla!! haha she has been great through it all and when h2b gets bored of wedding talk (90% of the time.....lol) I sound off to her. My dad isn't so much a dadzilla but he does give his opinion on everything..."you don't need a bus to reception at night, only back", "why are you looking at BM dresses you have a year to go" and my personal favourite "we didn't have any of that at our wedding" My mum just reminds him that their wedding was 30 years ago and a lot has changed! x

This is exactly like me, glad someone elses dad is like this! Love him to bits, he's so funny with it, and apparently taking notes for his speech about my wedding planning, what he doesn't realise is that everyone else will think the things my mum and me have arranged and talked about are completely normal! She's been amazing x

You have all just helped retain my sanity ... I'm not alone! Mine went so far as not sending our evening "save the dates" to her friends because she decided they should be invited to the full day. She lead them to believe they would be invited to the full day and then complained she was under major pressure when it came to sending out the invites! Just as well H2Bs family from abroad decided they couldn't come otherwise we would have been well over the limit for our venue!!!!!
    Anyway, with 3 weeks to go she seems to be less "mawzilla" so I'm sure it will get better for you all too :-)

Ha!
    I can totally relate to all of these posts!
    We live abroad bbut I had my heart set on a wedding in my hometown of Glasgow.
    However, after looking at venues for a few weeks, we decided on 29 and were ready to pay the deposit. I went to my mum's to tell her our plans. Mum had a fit and wanted to change the menu, drinks options, guest list numbers etc and then other family members began questioning our choices too. After this, my fiance told me that he had never seen me so stressed and wondered if it was worth it to change everything to suit other people. I thought long and hard about it and decided that it would be better to get married in the city we live in than in Glasgow. As a result, everyone is travelling to us and we're having the wedding that we want, the way we want, with minimal outside interference! xx

Senior Platinum Member Harajuku80's Avatar

OMG! I can't believe some of the hassle you poor ladies are having!! I have the opposite problem where I sometimes struggle to get an opinion out of my mum! LOLI guess I shouldn't complain but its still frustrating when you are needing help and want her to be involved! I must admit though, she's been good at coming to my "bridal party get togethers" and not having an excuse to stay in the house! LOL I hope you all manage to get through your planning and enjoy the big days! Oaft...if we knew how much hassle we would have....lol xx
    Friday 1st May 2015

Super Senior Member

All these posts made me laugh! Im in the early stages of planning and already I can feel where we are heading haha. We took my mum and dad to hear the band we had chosen at a showcase event. Afterwards they said they loved the band so that was it - we booked! Fast forward a week later when the contract comes in and it was 'Don't you think that other band were better?' 'Do you think your guests will enjoy that band' - total freak out. Needless to say I sat and cried to my fiancé about how I had searched and searched for this band and had shown them all videos of the band for weeks! But that was 3 months ago and the band are now booked ha! I'm just hoping my dance floor is never empty to prove my point. Had a similar issue at the weekend trying on dresses for the first time - that one with the straps are lovely - I have no shoulders so said 'no I don't think im a strap person' to which I got 'it will be fitted though, the straps are lovely'. I then told her I think she was forgetting that its not about how beautiful the dress is but how comfortable I feel. Sigh. Rant over X

Well ladies, I'm now married and happy to say that the mawzilla calmed down towards the end of the planning. We still had a few moments with some of the smaller details and if she uttered the words 'well, traditionally...' once more she was in danger of being throttled but I'm happy to say that her and my dad were both amazing on the day. They even managed to keep it a secret from me that my husband spent most of the day on the back of a scooter looking for a sound system!

Stick in there and try not to say anything you'll regret. Fingers crossed it'll all come good for you in the end.

Oh, and she did get her own way with the joint hen/stag do! A few delayed flights meant that it just made more sense for us to go out together. She loved that!!

Senior Platinum Member Harajuku80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    Well ladies, I'm now married and happy to say that the mawzilla calmed down towards the end of the planning. We still had a few moments with some of the smaller details and if she uttered the words 'well, traditionally...' once more she was in danger of being throttled but I'm happy to say that her and my dad were both amazing on the day. They even managed to keep it a secret from me that my husband spent most of the day on the back of a scooter looking for a sound system!

Stick in there and try not to say anything you'll regret. Fingers crossed it'll all come good for you in the end.

Oh, and she did get her own way with the joint hen/stag do! A few delayed flights meant that it just made more sense for us to go out together. She loved that!!
    LMAO! Congratulations Mrs, and I'm glad you (and mawzilla) got through in one piece! xx
    Friday 1st May 2015

This has made me feel so much better. My friends all joke about how funny my mum has been when we have been organising my wedding. she doesn't like the venue and pulls faces when it's mentioned, told me I looked better from behind in wedding dresses, told me my dress is more of a party dress "that you could wear anywhere" rather than a wedding dress, we had a wee argumentvabout the not in a church issue and she still thinks I'm joking about the transport. To be fair to her she was worse at the start of the planning now I think she is just given up arguing it disapproving since she knows I will do it my way anyway so she might as well just smile and get on with it.

def think mums are trying to relive their day through the daughters though!

Quote Originally Posted by Owl proposal View Post
    Yup pretty much every time I say "For the wedding, I was thinking..." !!!
    My mother has also started "well I didn't want to say anything in case you snapped again but ....." All very passive aggressive and very hard done by!
    Last edited by NicolaMOOWHALEkeir; 23-07-2013 at 07:42 PM.

I'm right there with you all. I'm living in London at the moment (moving home at the weekend for good yay) so I only get it when I'm home. I sent her a link to a Pinterest board i created to show her some dresses I really loved and she slated them all - ONLINE! For example oh that will make you look fat. This will make you look really short. This is too much or simply Don't like! I was both raging and gutted. My fiancé and I are paying for it ourselves so she has no say which I think is driving her mental. She also had a moan that I wasn't inviting her friends and she won't know anyone!!!! Her husband and 6 children plus their partners, my uncle and aunt, her sister & mother in law will all be there! Ahh! I have already knocked out "mum please this is my wedding - you've had yours" although I did feel really bad about it after. I love her I do but if its not her way she acts really hard done by - thank god for sisters and SWD forum.

Nx

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDuncantobe View Post
    I am so glad I have read this thread! My mum is the ultimate mawzilla and reading this has made me feel a whole lot better!!! I still have 14 months left so sure there will be plenty of fall outs before then! At least I know I am not the only one who doesn't have the fairytale family story!!
    I have had a good laugh out loud because I am SO happy to know I'm not the only one with a 'Mawzilla'! We're currently not talking and it's the longest we've ever went without talking but I refuse to back down.

"Mawzilla" haha that's hilarious! (The word, not the situation!). Have to admit that although my Maw is far from "Zilla", I have found myself snapping to remarks like "isn't it time you did this/that.....your relatives were asking...." and "what if so and so doesn't like that starter". Chair covers too......the chairs are fine at the venue and we're on a budget, I'm not paying over £300 to cover chairs which are perfectly nice....I got a pursed lip/intake of breath response to that lol. I guess Mums just want it to be perfect.....even more than the brides and grooms do!x