Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Are you taking your h2b's name?

Default Are you taking your h2b's name?

As the title says, are you taking your h2b's surname? I'm not sure what the majority of ladies to these days and to be honest, I really don't like my h2b's name. Everytime someone asks what his name is and I tell tell them I get "are you kidding me on" or they just burst into laughter. I kind of feel bad that I don't want to take his name and I think deep down it hurts him but I just don't want to take it. His name is Chestnutt and no it's not a joke lol.

Super Senior Platinum Member

I am planning on taking my H2B's surname and to be honest I hadnt thought of not doing so x

nearlymrsT

I don't think Chestnutt is that bad a name, although I just told h2b and he did chuckle sorry! I know someone called Mr Boobis now you can't help but laugh at that one!

Seriously though you need to do what you feel happy with as you are going to be using that name for the rest of your life but speak to your h2b about it too. If he is genuinely upset that you won't take his name is there no way you can be ok with it or compromise and double barrel? I know that won't work for everyone, if I did it I'd sound like a character from Balamory! I don't know if it applies to you but what about any children you have together, would you like to have the same name as them? It's another thing to consider. Some men change their name too these days but honestly this is a chat you need to have with your fiance so that you are both happy!

I am taking my h2b's name as I wouldn't consider any other option personally and I am looking forward to no longer having a name which rhymes with 'silly' 'willy' etc! (yes my childhood was a tough one!)

I'm looking forward to taking my H2B name and getting rid of my maiden name, which as far as I'm concerned is my fathers name and we have nothing to do with him. (I had considered when I was younger of changing my name to my mothers maiden name but I just never got round to it). I think it will be nice to share the same name with my hubbie.

I'll be taking mine's too x

I can't wait to take his name, it's much nicer than mine! Seriously though I really love the idea of sharing his name, however might not so keen if it wasn't something flattering! Don't think Chesnutt is that bad either, good luck! X

Hiya, yes im taking my h2b's name. Im brown at the moment and soon to be Drummond which doesn't phase me at all because its also my mums maiden name so is all ready in the family

I agree with 'nearlymrst' that his surname isn't bad but i can also see exactly where your coming from. My ex's surname was Tooth and their is just no way that would have ever been my surname lol and i couldn't do what some people do and double barrel it cause i'd be Holly Brown Tooth *lol* so i say go with whats right for you xx

I have did a lot of thinking about this too...I was considering doing a double barrelled name but wanting people to address me with with only H2Bs name. I was thinking this as I would like to keep my maiden name in there somewhere but ultimately I'm not 100% sure what to do either. Chestnutt really isn't bad! You should maybe talk to your H2B about any worries x

Super Senior Platinum Member SpecialSundae's Avatar

We double-barrelled socially and I double-barrel at work too, but a lot of the time people drop his half of my surname and my half of his. I don't really mind. I even put up with my pet hate "Mr and Mrs (his forename)(his surname)" but don't particularly respect those who do it.
    Fairy Gokmother

Super Senior Member

I am taking H2B surname, I really like his name but having a long double barrelled first name and then his surname of Monteith will give me some signature that will never fit on those silly wee lines they give you to sign on forms, hehe!! I think it is a very personal choice and something that needs to de discussed with H2B, I know mine would be upset about me not taking his name as if we are blessed enough to have children he would like us all the have the same surname x

I didn't change mine. I had always thought I would but when it came to the time I realised I really didn't want to! I don't particularly like OH's name and I felt like changing my name would be a bit like losing part of myself, which I've had for 35 years. OH really didn't mind, in fact the person who felt strongest about it was my mum! A lot of people just assume I've changed and if people ask what they should call us I always say Mr&Mrs S-----. My friends call us the B---S----'s as thats on put door buzzer so I guess we now have a social double barrel!

I am taking H2B's name, I love it as it is fairly unusual, think only about 200 in the UK, Boddice. We did think about double-barrelled, but it just doesn't fit so well which is a shame

Super Senior Platinum Member FutureMrsAdie's Avatar

I took my husband's name. It was never something I had any doubts about as I always knew I would take his name. I still get a buzz when we get mail in with Mr & Mrs Adie on the envelope. I just feel it's cemented our partnership by us sharing the same name. I also think it will be nice that when we have children we will all have the one family name. It totally personal choice though and everyone is different

funnily enough my H2B asked me the other night if I would be taking his surname or keeping my own. I thought this was a strange question for him to ask lol! I am of the same opinion of you FutureMrsAdie I would like everyone to have the same name x
    13th July 2013

wedding tickers

Platinum Member

I am taking my H2Bs name but keeping my own surname as a middle name, and all of our children will have the same. It is all girls in my family so I don't want my name to die off completely but definitely want to known as Mrs J It's a totally personal choice- I don't think Chesnutt is bad at all! xx

We had a bit of a debate on this! Apparently there isnt any point in getting married if Im not taking his name (charming huh!!)
    but i dont think my first name actually goes with his surname... but apparently its something i will get used to!

He doesnt wear jewellery and first said he wasnt overly bothered about wearing a wedding ring... so we have now compromised that he will wear his ring and i will change my name... and its something we will both just have to get used to.

All good changes really and Chestnutt really isnt the worse name ive heard! and after everyone knows thats your name, they wont really notice it after a week or so!

I like the idea of us being a family and all having the same name

Super Senior Member AnotherMrsBrown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vintagebelle View Post
    I'm looking forward to taking my H2B name and getting rid of my maiden name, which as far as I'm concerned is my fathers name and we have nothing to do with him. (I had considered when I was younger of changing my name to my mothers maiden name but I just never got round to it). I think it will be nice to share the same name with my hubbie.
    Im the same my maiden name is my fathers name and havent seen him for years so cant wait to get rid of it! My mum re married and my sister married so im the last to change from the name.
    FORUMTICKER.NET Ticker

Super Senior Member

I am taking my H2Bs even though it is not the best name ever (Hare). It is OK though. I am a teacher and the kids think it is hilarious . I will not be double barrelling, as personally I don't like it and also Black- Hare would be even more hilarious. However, it has given me a sort of theme for the wedding. Our invites have black hares on them.

Super Senior Member Laurabelle84's Avatar

I'm taking H2B's name, although I have joked with him that he should take mine as its shorter, plus I'm the last of my family with my surname so once I change to my married name there will be no-one left to carry my family name on

Regardless, still taking H2B's surname, its personally never really something I considered not doing. xx

Well thats one less thing for me to worry about as h2b and I already share the same surname, albeit spelt differently. I'm Stuart and he is Stewart. No double barrelling for me, although I will change the spelling.x

We're going to hyphenate ours, so myname-hisname. I have a son who is not OH's, son has my name, so want to keep it.

Also - I feel quite strongly about not being a man's property - we're a partnership (yadda yadda!!!). I know it's quite a... don't know how to phrase it, maybe an "extreme"? way of looking at it, but I feel it's really important for us to be a partnership. Part of the reason I gave DS my surname and not his dad's. (Not that I think it's wrong for anyone to do differently from me, at all! Just how I feel.) Another one who has all girls in our family as well - my dad was so chuffed when I gave DS my name. Feel quite strongly that my name is part of me and I don't really want to give it up.

I am taking h2b surname even though nobody ever seems to get it right. My new name is going to be Staniforth. We always joke that i will double-barrel it and be called Deborah Grant-Staniforth but there is no way I am having that mouthful. I don't think Chestnutt is that bad either. x

I have had a few people in bridal shops laugh at my new name and ask why im changing but I wouldnt have it any other way as I want to stand together and I feel symbolically this is how we do it! I was never overly attached to my surname so no big loss!

We actually got an xmas card to mr and mrs... A few days ago it was strange to see it in writing (we get married nov 2013 lol)
    When love feels like magic, you call it destiny.
    When destiny has a sense of humour you call it Serendipity

I will be taking my husband's surname when we marry - it's something I've not given any thought to really. As a lot of the other ladies have said, if I do think about it, it's important to me that when we have kids, we'd all have the same surname.

As far as I am concerned there's no reason at all to be embarrassed about your husband's surname! I think it's quite nice actually.

I worked in a hotel whilst I was still at school, and one night a man who was drinking at the bar asked me to put the drinks he had ordered onto his room bill. I asked for his name and room number, and he told me his name was Mr 'Mooosell (as in how you'd pronounce 'muscle' if you were putting on a french accent. I asked him how to spell it, to which he stated it was spelt 'Muscle'. Without thinking, I replied "no worries Mr Muscle" and he totally went off on one. I realise now he must have got that all the time, and it was never my intention to offend or make fun. So there you go - it could be much, much worse xx