Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Going Faster Than A Rollercoaster - A Whirlwind Romance.

OUR THEME

Oh lord. We've had a few. Lime green, hot pink and polka dots. Retro-come-shabby-chic. UP! inspired.

Eventually, I stumbled across a photo that settled it for us. This photo was where our wedding was born, essentially!

Red, white and all shades of blue. That's where we started and my shoes were the first thing I found! But we'll get to those later!

Every day, both online and off, we were bombarded with "okay, you've got your colours... so what's your theme?" I was aware of wedding themes. Aware that there's many different takes on it; from full on, for example, Alice in Wonderland themes to more vague vintage themes. We didn't really want to tie ourselves down to anything so we made a decision that anything we loved was fair game.

When it came to decoration for the wedding, I'm not sure we bought a single thing from a specific wedding focused shop. We looked everywhere. And I mean everywhere! If we saw something and liked it, we made a space for it somewhere. I casually joked on a wedding group I run on facebook that we made decoration decisions based on how we'd decorate our home but, the more I thought of it, the more I realised that actually... I wasn't joking!

And the truth of that is in our home now. We have nothing of the wedding to sell on as all of it is now being used to decorate our home. Some things are now Christmas tree decorations. Some things are now hanging from our wall, sitting on shelves and out on display in some way, shape or form.

Our wedding was totally and 100% us. The only limitations were our imaginations.

MY DRESS

As mentioned earlier, I wasn't one of those kids that had been dreaming of their wedding since the day they were born so I never really had much of an idea of what was out there in terms of wedding dresses. In fact, I had just 2 requirements: It didn't cost even near 1k and that it was "me". That it had a bit of my character, personality and style attached to it in some way or another.

I had a look about online and was actually really overwhelmed... there were thousands of them. Millions! But they all looked the same to me. I struggled to differentiate between them... until I found a specific designer. There was nothing spectacular about his dresses. There was nothing very different about them. Nothing that really set them apart from the millions of other dresses.... but they had something that made me look twice. Something that made me want to go to the effort of trying them on.

So I got on the phone and called around every bridal store in Edinburgh and made an appointment with the one that stocked the most Justin Alexander dresses. It helped that I knew I wanted a tea length dress and I'd read that a lot of his dresses came with the option of tea length.

It was a cold December afternoon and my mum picked me up from college to take me. We got there and walked in and it was just as I thought. I was really quite intimidated over going dress shopping because it's so alien to me... I was under the impression that they were posh shops full of condescending and unnaturally beautiful women. I was under the impression I'd be looked at with my modifications and my age and not be taken seriously. And I was right. I don't think I've ever been more uncomfortable in my life. But I sucked it up and my mum and I picked out some dresses and I tried them on. 3 of them. Enough to get a feel for a "wedding dress" but not so much that I was going to be in there so long.

Number 1 of 3 wasn't Justin Alexander. I don't even know who the designer was but it was tea length so I tried it.

I HATED IT. There was not one thing I liked about it. I knew it'd have a hefty price tag but it felt incredibly cheap and scratchy and I just did not like it. I couldn't get it off fast enough.

The second was a tea length Justin Alexander. I liked it the moment I put it on. Then I looked in the mirror. What looked good in photos and on the hanger looked hideous in reality. The detailing on the front. It was truly awful but my mum fell head over heels for the length. Because I'm short, it was too long on me but my mum and I both agreed that we actually quite liked it. My mum moreso! I'd have preferred it just a little shorter but not by much. If they could tear even just the dangly-fangly bits off, I might have been able to get used to it! But no. This was a dress to look at and admire in photos but one which would never even be an option.

Now it was time for the third and final dress I'd picked out. Well, I said "I". My mum actually picked this one out and almost begged me to try it on. When she pulled it off the rack and showed it to me, I pulled a childish face of disgust. It was NOT me in any way, shape or form but she seemed really eager to see it on me so I obliged. It was the least I could do for her!

The minute I stepped into it, I was in love. It fit like a glove (although not lengthwise!) and was disgustingly comfortable. My mum cried. I wanted to cry. I was positive I'd found the one. So whilst I flounced about in front of the big ornate mirror a little more, my mum got the details and price of the dress. When I was back in my own clothes and we were in the car, she handed it over to me. A grand total of 1750 for the tea length version. YIKES.

Oh well, I thought. We'll make it work! Somehow, we'll make it work. And that's how it went for a few days. I was close to getting the deposit together when I found myself browsing dresses online and found this one.

I found the name of the designer and sourced the nearest stockist. Antrim. Northern Ireland. Ugh. I let it go out of my mind. But it got me thinking... if I'd loved the Justin Alexander dress as much as I thought I did, would I really be looking at other dresses and sourcing stockists of certain designers less than a week later? I didn't think so. I kept the photo of me in the dress on my laptop and I looked at it every so often and, every time I looked at it, I felt less and less for it. It wasn't even a further week until I looked at it and felt nothing. I'd clearly got caught up in the moment in the shop and let my heart run away with itself. It wasn't the dress for me. And some part of me inside breathed a sigh of relief! Yes, we probably could have made it work but now? I didn't want to. It would be going against everything I believe in with things like this. It's a ridiculous amount of money and I outright refused to pay almost 2k for A DRESS.

I found the name of the designer and sourced the nearest stockist. Antrim. Northern Ireland. Ugh. I let it go out of my mind. But it got me thinking... if I'd loved the Justin Alexander dress as much as I thought I did, would I really be looking at other dresses and sourcing stockists of certain designers less than a week later? I didn't think so. I kept the photo of me in the dress on my laptop and I looked at it every so often and, every time I looked at it, I felt less and less for it. It wasn't even a further week until I looked at it and felt nothing. I'd clearly got caught up in the moment in the shop and let my heart run away with itself. It wasn't the dress for me. And some part of me inside breathed a sigh of relief! Yes, we probably could have made it work but now? I didn't want to. It would be going against everything I believe in with things like this. It's a ridiculous amount of money and I outright refused to pay almost 2k for A DRESS.

So the hunt was back on. I found lots in quick succession. I was very, very tempted to go with a lace Vivien of Holloway dress. And at one point, I was *this* close to buying one purely because I could find nothing that made my heart stop. And there she was.

I'm a user of tumblr and follow a blog that posts cool things the author stumbles upon on etsy that day. I actually hadn't used tumblr for about a month the day she was posted so I like to think fate had a hand in it! I followed the link and, within the week, my dress was bought. Handmade to my measurements and shipped from New Zealand.

I was happy. I looked at her every day until the day she arrived and at least three or four times a week from the day she arrived until the wedding day and I never once got sick of her. The excitement to wear it FOR REAL was massive from day 1.

There was just *one* thing... It was all white. I wanted a blue petticoat. I'd already bought it, petticoat included, and spent forever researching the best way to dye it when I eventually sucked it up and emailed the dress maker, asking her for suggestions. Her reply? "Tell me the colour and I'll do it for you." No extra charge. She even included a few extra layers in the petticoat again, for no extra charge. The excitement just grew.

(model photos!)

THE REST OF MY OUTFIT

I think I mentioned before that the shoes were one of the first things I got. I'd had my eye on them for aaaaages, I could just never justify the almost 100 cost for them when I didn't particularly have anywhere to wear them. Then the wedding rolled around... and the new colours... It'd be rude not to, right?! But 100? That more than 2/3rds of the cost of my dress. There's just no chance I was spending that amount... so onto ebay I went and, about 10 minutes later, I was the proud owner of my dream wedding shoes for a little under 60.

Now it was just the bag and some kind of cover up... I'm a smoker and we were getting married in winter. Both things were very important! I didn't spend long looking for bags. Actually, I didn't spend any time at all looking for bags!

The Christmas after we got engaged, we all got the ferry over to Northern Ireland to spend it with my sister and Colin and I were sleeping in one of her spare rooms. The first night there, we went up to bed and there was my bag. It was the same brand as my shoes and I was in love. I got on my phone there and then and looked it up; it was expensive so the next morning, I asked my sister if I could borrow it for the wedding and she said yes, of course! Done. I was ecstatic.

The some for of cover up wasn't quite so easy... There were so few options that would look good with the dress, I only spent a few days total looking for something. I looked at cutesy cardigans, faux fur boleros... everything. Then it hit me. Why do I have to buy something in?

I've got a leather jacket. It's like my comfort blanket. Our dog at the time as a puppy had chewed one corner off but still, I wore it. I loved it. It was, quite possibly, one of my favourite things in the world (haha not quite... but close). So one day, I just decided that was it. Why the heck shouldn't I wear it?! The deal was done!

HAIR AND MAKE UP

Again, I wasn't one of those people that had any expectations for our wedding pre-engagement. I also wasn't one of those ladies that gets engaged and immediately starts growing their hair. From the date of engagement to the wedding day, I'd had shoulder length hair, cut it all off, chin length, cut it all off. I had it black, blue, brown, white blonde. However my hair happened to be at the time was how my hair was going to be at the wedding. As it turns out, it was my usual short crop and my natural blonde. I really couldn't care less about hair... I actually couldn't tell you whether I bothered to brush it on the morning of the wedding or not!

Make up was another thing altogether. I used to be very, very into my make up and always had a full face on every day. I loved to experiment. Then I just sort of... stopped. And for years, it's not been much more than mascara and foundation unless I was going out. I always intended on getting back into it though, it was just one of those things I never quite got round to... until the wedding! The perfect excuse to start experimenting again. I was excited to do my make up myself. Like the dress, I was not forking out hundreds of pounds for someone to slap make up on my face. I can do it myself, get that satisfaction and save myself a lot of money.

I had so many elaborate ideas. So many pretty, bright, colourful, bold statement ideas. But then I wrote my speech and couldn't read it back to myself without balling like a baby. If I was like that during my own speech in front of no one, how was I going to hold up for the rest of the days events? That's what decided for me. I was going to go for something simple and classic but still very me. I wore this style of make up a lot just before I stopped making any effort whatsoever. And I'm so glad I went with this option. Looking back on the photos, it fit my outfit perfectly.

BOUQUETS

I'm quite a big fan of flowers but I knew right from the start that I didn't want real flower bouquets. I wanted something myself and the girls could keep forever, something I could have on display after house. Nor did I want fake flowers... I like those too, I just wanted something a little fun. Something with a bit of personality.

That's when I stumbled on button bouquets.

But something was holding me back. I absolutely LOVED them - I have a weird fascination with buttons - but they were a little... dull. A little boring. Then I thought of novelty buttons... I'll be the first to admit button bouquets are everywhere, especially ones with novelty buttons but back then, I wasn't even aware things like wedding blogs existed. The only button bouquets I knew of were the ones like the photo above.

Novelty buttons got me quite excited and I was immediately on ebay, searching out the bargain buttons I wanted and it was only a few days later that I had all the buttons I'd need plus the floral wire, ribbon and fabric to wrap around the wires to form the handle. But once it was all here, the steam had gone out of me again... it wasn't enough. That's when I stumbled on this.

I absolutely loved it but it was too... fabric-y for me. So I decided to stop searching and made my way to hobbycraft. I probably could have got what I needed cheaper on ebay but I was SO excited about this, I had to start it TODAY. I came home with several different coloured bits of felt. Now the person who makes the bouquets in the photo above will have a fancy craft machine that cuts all those flower shapes out for her and all she has to do is sew it.... I don't have one of those. My bouquet consisted of 100 fabric flowers. Each flower consisted of 4 shapes. 400 small, fabric flowers.

Cutting them out was a NIGHTMARE and many times I questioned whether it was actually worth it because I designed it in my head for the flowers to be barely visible. Barely visible but *there* all the same. Quite a few times, I decided it wasn't worth it but I pushed through anyway and, eventually, I was done. It took me about 3 or 4 weeks but would have been a lot quicker if I hadn't spent so many evenings staring in bitter disgust at the meager amount of work I'd already done!

I did finish it. And the moment I could lift my tired hands off it, say "it's done!" and mean it? It was *all* worth it. I was so, so proud of myself and I absolutely loved what I'd done. I couldn't wait to show everyone! Thankfully, I contained myself to just showing Colin, my mum and the lovely ladies of the wedding group I mentioned before. And, of course, on here! But I saved it from everyone who would be at the wedding and I'm glad I did. I received a lot of compliments on it on the day.

So I suppose the natural step to take after making my own fabric, paper and button bouquet would be to do something similar but on a smaller scale for my bridesmaids. That really wasn't what I wanted. I wanted something completely different from mine and I already had the idea in mind so no time was needed to be spent trawling the internet. I just had no idea if it would actually work or not! It's probably been done before, and much better than my final efforts were, but I hadn't - and still haven't - seen it before.

I already had all the supplies needed for them and, one night, I sat on the couch with a good film and got started. It was very daunting because, like I said, I didn't have a clue whether it'd work or not.. I'd been thinking about this idea since I'd started making my own bouquet and I was worried that it wouldn't work. I wouldn't have been able to find something I liked as much as this, I thought.

At the end of the evening, I had one finished bridesmaids bouquet. I was over. The. Moon. It had come out *exactly* as it'd looked in my had and I was actually a little bit jealous! I wished I'd done something similar but on a bigger scale for my own. It wasn't until I saw all three bouquets (2 bridesmaids and my own) that I realised just how amazingly they worked together and I was extremely happy, once again, with my own but still equally as happy with what I'd done for my girls. I loved them.

COLIN'S OUTFIT

Colin had just as much, if not more, issues when it came to choosing what he was going to wear! There were so many options and so many epic combinations that it seemed almost impossible to find one that he could settle on. He liked the comfort factor of a short sleeved shirt but wanted to wear braces and preffered them with long sleeves. He wanted mismatched trousers and jacket but loved how smart jet black suits were. He wanted a bow tie but he struggled to find as much variation for a good price like there were with ties. He wanted epic shoes but there was almost no choice.

I only ever bought one dress. Colin bought, in total, 2 suits. The first was a black suit and white shirt. He hated the black and took it back. The second was a grey jacket and black trousers with a red, white and blue shirt. It did look pretty epic but the trousers were standard fit and he's a short guy... back to the shop it was and slim fit trousers were purchased. MUCH better!

When we'd bought the braces, it brought up a question in both of our minds: What would the suit look like with a plain white shirt? Back to the shops it was and we found a really nice white shirt with black buttons in Matalan and, when he tried it all on, we both knew it was the white shirt he was going with. His braces, buttonholes and bow tie produced enough pops of colour that his first shirt would just have been overkill.

His shoes, I found! I was casually browsing around looking for shoes for myself when I found them and about had a heart attack. I loved them!!! I actually waited 2 or 3 days before showing Colin because I was sure he was going to hate them so tried to put them out my mind. But I couldn't so I showed him. And he loved them just as much as I did, thankfully! His outfit was sorted.

THE NIGHT BEFORE THE BIG DAY

This was something that was an issue but something we never really thought about... We knew we had to figure out who was going where and what was happening but never actually sat down and made decisions until 3 or 4 days before the wedding. Oops!

Initially, I wanted the typical "night before". I wanted Colin to disappear somewhere and to spend the night with my bridesmaids (and bridesmale!) and, if she'd like to, my mother. But there were issues with that. My bridesmale has health issues that meant he couldn't spend the night over here. One of my bridesmaids didn't want to spend the night away from her boyfriend. My other bridesmaid had a baby and was paranoid he'd keep everyone up all night. And space. We live in the tiniest of one bedroom flats and, should we all be here, no one would get a comfortable, undisturbed nights sleep.

So that was out of the question.

I even considered spending the night in our house on my own. Then I quickly realised I REALLY didn't want to do that. Colin was going to be spending the night at my Uncle's house with my Uncle and his 2 best men. That had been the plan from day 1 and there was no issues there whatsoever; he was easy!

So what the heck do I do?!

Well, it was pretty easy actually. Since the day Colin arrived from Northern Ireland, we've yet to spend a single night apart. Why change that now? There. Done. Decision made and dealt with! We would be spending the night before the wedding together. We were happy.

The best men were coming over from Northern Ireland and had already booked their accommodation, however it was through a website where no deposit was taken and you didn't pay until your arrival. Colin and I were talking and, ever conscious of our travelling guests and their expenses, we decided that we'd like to offer the 2 best men the option of staying with us from Thursday to Monday. Yep, that included the night before the wedding! They were over the moon to spend the time with us and to save a good amount of extra money!

Most people would probably be horrified at the suggestion of spending the night before your wedding with your almost-husband and his 2 best friends - even moreso when you've yet to meet those 2 best friends! - but I was actually really looking forward to it. Colin hadn't seen them since he left Northern Ireland and it made me really happy that he was going to have all that time to spend with them before the madness of the wedding ensued. On the morning of the wedding, the 3 of them got up before me, got their things together and left to go and get ready at my Uncle's; I never saw on the morning of the wedding and I liked that. I got to spend the night with him but still have the magic of the first time I saw him on the day would be when we were all made up and ready to get married.

I got up at 8am to an empty house. I wake up every morning to an empty house, Colin works, so it should have been pretty normal. But there was something very, very different in the air that day. Despite it being November and the weather up until then had been awful, it was like a summer's morning in my living room. The sun was shining and the air was electric. It just felt like huge things were about to happen.

I had a grand total of 2 hours completely and utterly alone before my bridesmaids/male and my mum arrived. I'd worked it out that way on purpose. I knew the entire day was going to be stuffed full of people and manic excitement; this was the only time of the day I'd be able to sit down and reflect on what the hell I was about to do.

Honestly? It was one of the best wedding decisions I'd made. It was a totally magical 2 hours and I can't even begin to describe the magic in the air that morning.

At 10am, my mum, my sister (bridesmaid), her son and my brother in law arrived. Within the next 30 minutes, my bridesmaid and male arrived, too. It was manic but relaxed. The excitement was immense but everyone was chilled out. I can't say it enough: it was just completely magical.

At 10:30, Sassy and her amazing Assassyn Katie arrived. And then the day exploded!

THE VENUE

I've already mentioned our budget so I think you'll understand that this wasn't the easiest of jobs. But it's never one that stressed us out or upset us. We understood our budget so we looked solely at venues that supported this budget and that's as simple as it got, really. And it was pretty simple! We were initially going for the Holiday Inn package. And why the heck not?! It's just a building, what will happen inside that building on your wedding day is what's important. Plus, you provide the decoration... so where's the downside? We couldn't see one, really. There were plenty to choose from in Edinburgh in all sorts of locations so we were made up and had booked an appointment to go and see the one just up the road from where we were staying at the time and the one by the zoo.

Then my mum came to see me one day after work and told me she'd been speaking to a friend. This friend was also getting married but not until 2013, I think, and had found this venue. It offered the same package as the Holiday Inn but with a few added extras. Primarily, it's a fitness center and restaurant and I hadn't even seen a photo when we pulled up outside it a couple of days later for a tour and talk with the wedding co-ordinator.

I was in love.

The ceremony room was absolutely stunning. Decorated in a more-blue-than-green teal and brown and with outstanding views out over the harbour, I was hooked. The room was large and light and airy and the colours were gorgeous.

The ceiling light fitting, even, was beautiful. The chairs were gorgeous (I was actually gutted when they replaced these!) and the setup was amazing.

Just off of this room is a little bar type area that would be the location for the drinks reception. It was part of the ceremony room but out of the way. It followed the same colour scheme. It was a good size. It was GORGEOUS.

I was so overwhelmed by how beautiful the ceremony room was especially that we never even considered decorating it in any extra way other than a few little things on the register signing table. I could see us standing at the top of the aisle, surrounded by family and friends the moment I entered the room. I could imagine us having our photo taken out on the harbour.

I was ridiculously happy and we had provisionally booked a date by the end of that visit. The Holiday Inn appointment wasn't held.

Super Senior Member

Loving it so far. I notice your husband has a black ring. We have been looking for one, as my dad just got a new one and it is black titanium, What is Colin's made of and where did you get it?

Thank you! It's black titanium too We got it from Amazon!

Super Senior Member

Cool. Thanks. My dad got his in Tiffany's but can't find it on the website. H2B loves it and isn't big on jewellery, but think the black would suit him. Will be checking out Amazon.

Super Senior Platinum Member

Loving your update as always x

Wot a fantastic rollercoaster and ur pics r gorgeous xx

Thanks

THE MUSIC

The music was actually pretty easy. Colin and I have identical tastes in music so it really was one of the easiest wedding decisions. We were done in an hour or so! We had a couple of songs that played more than once during the day intentionally. It would have been very, very easy to have any song played more than once (our initial music list was over 500 songs long!) but the repeats were there for a reason; we LOVED them too much to play them just once!

Guests being seated
    All I Want Is You - Barry Louis Polisar
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHXau3zAe7E

You Are So Beautiful - Joe Cocker
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00M1BDtC-jo

Grow Old With You - Adam Sandler
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKs3bybeTO8

Wonderwall - Oasis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hzrDeceEKc

Brighter Than Sunshine - Aqualung
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpDNfwIrx1M

1,2,3,4 - Plain White T's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9x8Icrnswc

Brightest - Copeland
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiymVDq4pyo

Mine & the bridesmaids entrance
    Everyday - Buddy Holly
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao-5mml5iEQ

Signing the register
    The Luckiest - Ben Folds
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7ANqzV2liI

First Day of My Life - Bright Eyes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwFS69nA-1w

I'm Sticking With You - Velvet Underground
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5je_eK0V1w

Earth Angel - Death Cab For Cutie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLK4eorLDBw

Our exit
    I Want To Hold Your Hand - The Beatles
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipADNlW7yBM

Drinks Reception
    I Will Follow You into The Dark - Death Cab For Cutie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am0IFwjPyYA

Earth Angel - Death Cab For Cutie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLK4eorLDBw

She is Love - Oasis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHeszfOsrPo

Brighter Than Sunshine - Aqualung
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpDNfwIrx1M

Wonderwall - Oasis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hzrDeceEKc

I'm Sticking With You - Velvet Underground
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5je_eK0V1w

1,2,3,4 - Plain White T's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9x8Icrnswc

You & I - Ingrid Michaelson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdEN1b-dwlw

As it turns out, both of us only recall really hearing two of the songs. My entrance - Every Day - and one of the register signing songs and one that was played during a fe times throughout the day- Grow Old With You. Both are enough to reduce the two of us to giggling, stomach-butterfly wrecks and we love it

TRANSPORT, PHOTOGRAPHY & MEMORIAL.

Transport never really bothered me. We originally wanted a Classic like a VW camper or a Mini or a... something old and pretty. But then the logistics didn't really match up and it would be a hell of a lot more effort than it was worth and a lot of money for what would be an all of 15 or so minutes journey. Once we'd realised all of that, we didn't want anything at all. Taxi's would do for us!

In fact, Colin got the bus to our first look session in the morning HAHA! That really is how much of a eff you see kay we really did not give. That 200-500 was a lot of money to save!

I, on the other hand, squeezed into my mum's teeny tiny car with Sassy and Katie and then, from there, we all got in a taxi. It was fab and it was money saving. Everyone was happy!

I've already mentioned Sassy a lot so I should probably talk about why I picked her!

We had http://assassynation.co.uk/
    We went with Sassy because her photography style is very, very similar to mine were I to shoot weddings. Essentially the photographs I'd love to take myself. From the first contact we had, we got on like a house on fire and knew she would go above and beyond. She has the same photography ethos as I do. She approaches it the same way I do. The passion for her work was evident from the get go. The passion for her clients was evident from the get go. She doesn't just take photographs, she herself works to create amazing memories and that, too, was evident from the first point of contact. When I started talking to her and we were sharing plans and ideas, not only was a fire lit up inside of me, I could tell it was the same for her.
    Now, after the wedding, she was the best wedding decision we made by far. There were a few points through the day where she stepped in and played wedding co-ordinator and literally saved the day for us. When something happened with a who-was-giving-a-speech-mix-up and it overwhelmed me, she played best-friend-shoulder-to-cry-on. She made such an impression on us that, when the reception started and it was time for us to go, we were *sad*. The next day, the both of us actually *missed* her. I was very, very sick on our wedding day and Sassy had all these plans for *amazing* photos but what came first was my health and how I was feeling and holding up. She spent the entire day making sure I was feeling okay and holding up well and let me know that at any time at all if something was too much, that's it; it's too much and we will stop. Each new photograph idea was only put across to us after asking if I felt up to it. With every idea she put forward, we felt very comfortable in the fact that we could say no, that idea wasn't for us. Not once did we have to... but we could! And Colin and I are very shy, very people-pleasing people. Sassy made us comfortable enough to tell her what was and wasn't working for us should we have needed to.
    All that matters to Sassy is that her couples are happy, having fun, their day is going the way they wished, they're comfortable and they're stress free. If something happens that heightens the stress of the couple before the day AND during it, no matter what the issue, she will work to resolve it. If it's a problem with the venue on the day, she'll help out to fix it. Anything. Nothing is out of the question for her.

When we received our photos, I had to pretty much sit on my hands for hours and hours waiting for Colin to come home from work to look at them and the wait was MORE than worth it. Everytime we look at them, we're completely overwhelmed with how much we love them! Colin's mum is a very "typical mum" and we expected her to have her reservations; she, too, was completely over the moon with them. My mum thinks they're beautiful. Both of our families are amazed. Our friends, our parents friends, friends of our friends, people we've never met but have somehow seen them... everyone loves them! My sister's boss was questioning how to book Sassy for his own wedding after seeing our photos. I'm amazed by the reaction to them and how far they've got around the inner and outer circle of our lives but I am not in the least bit surprised. Sassy deserves this love from all of us and from complete strangers and SO MUCH more. I've had comments from other brides, who have seen more than enough wedding photos over the past few years, that ours are the best they've seen. And we wholeheartedly agree. So many people had so many expectations for our photographs and Sassy exceeded every single one of them.

Sassy isn't just a wedding photographer, she was our wedding necessity.

And now the gushing is over! Let's move onto the memorial.

Over on Rock n Roll Bride, Kat was wanting to write a post on name changes and who was taking whose name and why etc etc. I figured we had a pretty interesting story so I wrote ours out to share and sent it into her. She didn't end up using it but here was my email anyway!

"I've never felt my name is my own. From being able to understand and say my name when still a child, it's never been my name; I've always had some sort of detached feeling towards it. It wasn't my mother's surname. It wasn't my dads. It was my brothers dads name.

Growing up, my dad wasn't in my life. In fact, I only met him for the first time 4 years ago. And after meeting him, his name would not be mine either. He wasn't my dad - he was just my father, 2 entirely different roles in my eyes.

Your name has always been an incredibly proud thing to me. A real family thing. But how could I be proud of my name when it wasn't mine?

Growing up, my grandfather took the place of my dad. He was the one that was there on my first day of school and he was the one that kissed my scraped knees when I fell off my bike. It was my grandfather that picked me up, not my father.

My grandad passed away some years ago now. He always said he feared the family name wouldn't last long. Myself and my siblings had my brothers dad's name and my grandparents had just one son who only birthed daughters. A couple of years ago, a long time after my grandad had passed, my brother legally changed both his and his sons name to the family name. The pride I felt in him was immense. But it also saddened me; he was the last remaining Preston along with me and now I shared my name with no one. My sister had married. As had my mum, whose marriage sadly didn't last but she took the decision to keep her married name.

Cue meeting Colin and getting engaged. The thought of how to remember my grandfather on our day cropped up and it's probably been the thing I've put the most thought into because nothing ever seemed to be enough. And then, one day, it just came to me.

Less than a week later, my future husband had paid to legally change his surname and now, when we marry, I too will have the family name. White.

I know it's not a clear cut case of me not taking my future husbands name but I've never felt so proud of Colin nor has he done something for me that meant as much to me as this did. I didn't take his name and he didn't take mine, either; together, we're taking the same name and carrying on one of the last wishes of my grandfather. I can't think of a better way of keeping his memory alive not only on our wedding day but for the rest of our lives, too."

So that was that! However, as the wedding got closer, I had my doubts. We were doing this to preserve the family name in honour of my grandfather. But by doing this, we were "killing off" Colin's family name; he was the last Gamble after his father. I wasn't happy with that. I couldn't be comfortable with that. So, soon after, it was changed. Now? Now we're Gamble-White's. Now we're preserving the family name from both of our families and I'm ecstatic about that. It might not be the prettiest sounding name in the world but it means absolutely everything to me and I'm happy. We're happy.

INVITATIONS

We spent a hell of a lot of time looking at invitations. They were quite important to us because they're what sets the tone of the rest of the wedding in the eyes of your guests. It was important to us to start off on the right foot and do our wedding justice.

There was nothing out there. Nothing affordable that would do any of our wedding, or ourselves, justice. We could have gone down the bespoke, designed-for-us route but we knew that would have ran into the hundreds of pounds zone and that was not something we were prepared to do so I got my creative head on. I opened up photoshop and I set to work.

In the end, I'd designed two or three sets of invitations and the one we went with was the very last one I had worked on; the first one or two just weren't doing anything for me and when I put the finishing touches on this last one, we both just knew. I didn't need to carry on with other designs in case I came up with something better; there would be nothing better. This one was perfect.

Then came the "how the hell do we get them from the computer into our hands?!" dilemma. I spent a lot of time on vistaprint trying to figure out the best and cheapest way but, again, it just wasn't working out. Nothing was perfect. They were already designed to our own specifications, not to vistaprints, so there was a little bit cropped here and a little bit cropped there and we weren't happy. I moaned and complained a lot. I almost wanted to cry from the frustration. Then my mum turned up a day or 2 later with a printer and ink. "Do it yourself," she said. "You've come this far."

So that's what I did.

I designed them, I printed them, I cut them all out and I assembled them all myself over 2 afternoons and, at the end of it, when they were all sitting on the floor in front of me, I was completely over the moon. I was so, so happy that my mum had pushed me to finish them myself. Like she said, I'd "come this far" with designing them myself, it would only be fair to myself to take the job right to the end myself and I'm so proud! A truly, 100% DIY job and EVERYONE loved them. My mum took hers in to work to show her colleagues - who I know! - and they were amazed by them. When everyone had received them, I got nothing but compliments. My family were amazed that I'd done it completely myself and a few just outright didn't believe me!

The evening invitations were a similar story. I designed, printed and assembled those too but I wasn't 100% happy with them. I could have done, and wanted to do, so much more with them but, by the time I got around to doing it, it was already 2 or 3 weeks before the wedding. What they are is what they are... I didn't have time for anything else! Thankfully, these received the same reception as the day invites. Everyone was happy so I was happy.

YUMMY STUFF

Way at the beginning of wedding planning, we decided we were going for a small cupcake tower. Neither of us were hugely into cake but I have a love affair with cupcakes so it seemed like the obvious decision. An easy one! But, as time went on, we both changed our minds. We wanted a statement cake. Something epic! And that's when I found the Little Cherry Cake Company.

https://www.facebook.com/littlecherr...ompany?fref=ts

This lady was amazing. But man, we could NEVER afford a cake from her. Then she put on a competition... and I won! A half price wedding cake would be ours! We talked and talked and, eventually, a digital mock up was sent over. I. Was. Blown. Away. It was AMAZING.

Things were good! But then they weren't... As usual! Nothing is ever as smooth as you plan for it to be, is it? Towards the time where the cake HAD to be paid for in full, we ran into a concrete wall. Not a brick wall, a concrete wall. It seemed we'd been a little bit too adventurous with a 3,000 budget and we just couldn't afford it anymore. It was horrible. I was sad. But then Colin pointed out to me that we're NOT cake people. That we were going with a big, elaborate cake for no reason other than it would look cool. The only time we would enjoy it would be in the photos. And he was right, I realised. So the sad faces were gone. Thankfully, she was incredibly understanding, and my win was given to someone that could use it now.

But we were without any form of cake now. It's okay, I thought, not the end of the world. It was a bit crap, yeah, but it really wasn't the end of the world! A cake doesn't make a wedding and we really weren't too fussed. But then my mum stepped in again and we were given what we'd initially wanted and MORE.

A lot of pretty cupcakes that tasted AMAZING and a pretty cake to look at. We were so happy! I immediately set to work creating little cupcake flags and cake bunting. We weren't having a first dance so this was the way I incorporated "our" song into our wedding.

The Maccabees - Toothpaste Kisses
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdR0491gUSA

Then there was the sweetie table!

We didn't want a huge amount but we wanted *something*.

It was amazing! And just the right amount of sweets. All of our favourites and about 90% of them were gone by the end of the night. It was a big hit!