Thread: NWR decisions decisions!

Default NWR decisions decisions!

Hi ladies,

Just thought I'd write this all here as I don't seem to be getting anywhere running it over in my head...and all my friends I've spoken to have different opinions!

Basically its a work dilemma! I did a Psychology degree but haven't really used it, mainly because there aren't the jobs out there. I have been working with children with additional support needs for quite a while and I love it. But, I want to move up the ladder a bit.

I have 2 jobs at the moment. One of them is offerring me the chance of management positions, but due to SSSC requirements I would have to do an SVQ then PDA. I have always swithered with the idea of teaching and have filled out a PGDE application. Now that I've filled it out, I'm just not sure what I want. We get married next month and the idea of teaching (1 year uni, 1 year probation) would mean we wouldn't be able to think about a family for another 2 years at least.

Hopefully after the wedding, my mind will be clearer on other things! If anyone has experience of either route though, advice would be great!

x

Super Senior Member

I did a PGDE. I wouldn't do it unless you are certain as it is a hellish year. I think it would be difficult to do your probation year and then have kids as you wouldn't get SMP and would miss out on building up experience which is essential if you want to try and find a job which is hard at the best of times. Supply now pays peanuts for short term work so it isn't a great option either. Hope this helps. Saying that I love my job and wouldn't do anything else. What do you work as just now?

I also did the pgde and must admit it was the most difficult thing I've done. However all these years later I still love my job. I would say that it is not impossible to start a family right at the beginning and still get a job, but its a long time since I've seen any of our new starts expecting. Its a hard choice to make, but in the grand scheme of things 2 yrs isn't that long and teaching is a great job if you have a family.x

You just manage whatever your situation - but that obviously depends on how much you want what you're working for! I did the PGDE as a single parent, it was hard but I knew I was doing it for a very good reason - stable income for my son & I. (Hasn't really worked out that way as there's no stable jobs...)

That's the 2nd issue re: waiting to start a family. There aren't many permanent jobs available, it's mostly long term supply that's around, so there's no "great time" to do it IYSWIM.

Good luck with whatever you decide, it's not fun not knowing what to do for the best.