Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: guest wearing a white dress

I do not think it would bother me if they had a white dress on but I would never turn up to a wedding wearing one myself. They will not upstage you on your day because you will be stunning and all eyes will be on you - promise xx

Hmm, a white dress isn't somethng I would ever wear to someones wedding but I know my mum is going to be wearing a lovely champagne colour which is closer to ivory and that's fine with me. I'm just happy she's finally found something she likes!
    Black's fine by me too, it's still formal and I know there are a lot of ladies who favour a LBD as a fail safe, especially evening guests!
    As long as no-one's wearing a wedding dress I really don't care. And I second Miss Piglet, everyone will be looking at you on your beautiful day!

I wouldn't wear white/cream/ivory to a wedding cos I would personally feel like a bit of an idiot but i really wouldn't have a problem with a guest wearing it. I think i just think why? When there are sooo many dresses out there to choose from! As for black, i think that's lovely. I almost wore a red maxi dress from coast to a wedding and then panicked and wore something else cos i was scared that the bridesmaids might be in red. They weren't, but i knew i would have been so self-conscious all day if they had! x
    4th June 2011

Super Senior Platinum Member BalbirnieDreamer's Avatar

I agree with everyone! I wouldn't personally wear white to a wedding but if someone wears it to mine, as long as it doesn't look bridey, then I'd be fine! Its a summer wedding and I think white is very summery so I wouldn't mind!

Talking about Coast dresses, I'm thinking of getting my BM's dresses from there but worried a guest will turn up in the same dress! How embarrassing! Will maybe have them altered slightly with a different coloured sash or something!

Quote Originally Posted by BalbirnieDreamer View Post
    I agree with everyone! I wouldn't personally wear white to a wedding but if someone wears it to mine, as long as it doesn't look bridey, then I'd be fine! Its a summer wedding and I think white is very summery so I wouldn't mind!

Talking about Coast dresses, I'm thinking of getting my BM's dresses from there but worried a guest will turn up in the same dress! How embarrassing! Will maybe have them altered slightly with a different coloured sash or something!
    yeah, i LOVE coast dresses! I was gonna get my 2 bridesmaids dresses from Coast - they fancy black cocktail style that they can wear again. I'm gonna get a sash put on them i think too. That's my plan just now anyway, no doubt it'll change! x
    4th June 2011

Quote Originally Posted by weebanker View Post
    yeah, i LOVE coast dresses! I was gonna get my 2 bridesmaids dresses from Coast - they fancy black cocktail style that they can wear again. I'm gonna get a sash put on them i think too. That's my plan just now anyway, no doubt it'll change! x
    Snap!! My bridesmaid dresses were from Coast too
    Finally Mrs Noble!

I'm seeing about having a white dress with some colour on it (maybe that would protect my feelings from anyone wearing white/ivory/cream) but I do think it would bother me a little bit. One of the few wedding traditions I would go with :-D

I was at my fiancÚ's best friend's wedding and I ran into the bride's cousin. . . who was wearing a light cream, short party dress with ruffles. Tan-tastic bottle-blonde, to boot. Everyone agreed that she just looked like a tit and didn't detract from the bride at all :-3

Super Senior Member

Just to add my tuppence worth again...

Someone wore a short white dress to our wedding, and she looked stunning!

I didnt think I would be bothered by people wearing white, and it didnt bother me in the slightest! She looked beautiful, I didnt even notice till after the ceremony anyway!

We all have enough to worry about with wedding plans, dont worry about guests outfits!

I wore a cream dress to a wedding all day once but it had a black halter neck strap and clack stripes along the bottom of the knee length skirt so I wouldn't be bothered if someone showed up at mine in something cream or white as long as it wasn't a maxi dress and it had colour on it. If they show up in a tiara however they don't get to eat :P xx
    Engaged 4th June 2010 wedding 10th August 2012

I think I would be upset, It's the only time I'll get to wear a white dress, and I'd be upset if someone stole my thunder in that respect, Only time I will be a bridezilla!

to be honest, i;'m slightly annoyed at the moment as my h2b's gran and aunt both want to wear BLACK!!! i mean wtf?!?! its a wedding not a funeral. i've put my foot down- wear black and don't bother coming!

my mums dress is pewter and black! She wasn't sure about wearing it because of the colour, but it looks gorgeous on her and she's wearing a light grey fascinator, silver shoes, and a silver handbag. Going to get her a silver shrug, too. I was dubious as it's not a funeral she's going to, but the dress is gorgoeus.

Smile

I wore white trousers and a white top to a wedding years ago and to be honest it didn't even cross my mind that it was against wedding etiquette. I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone or steal the brides thunder. I was simply trying to look nice and smart and at the time white was the fashionable colour in all the shops. Looking back at my wedding photo's I see there were two ladies at our wedding in white/ivory dresses and they look gorgeous. My aunt also wore the most elegant little black dress with a fabulous fascinator. I have to say it didn't bother me at all, i'm just really pleased they made such an effort to look great on my wedding day.

I wouldn't be at all bothered about guests wearing black - but then, I'm in the camp of "Wear bright colours to my funeral!" :-D

I think its a bit rude, but it depends on the dress. I've seen some really sluty ones where they just wanted to steal attention. Yet others were just a decent white dress and not really out for attention. I don't know I think it depends if its its purposeful or not. Depending on the girl you know if they are the type to do it on purpose or just one of those girls lost in their own world and just didn't even realize.

October 8th!!

Unacceptable.

ive got a guest who has set her heart on a " stunning white dress" and she asked my brother what colour my dress was so we didnt clash , its my wedding not some party where you dont want to go in same dress as someone else lol is it me or is that just a wee bit out of order , my fiance and my bridesmaids agree with me but my mum thinks i should "give her a break" lol , i understand everyone wants to look gorgoues at the wedding but i dont understand why go looking for an amazing white dress ?? xx

Quote Originally Posted by xmarksxangelx View Post
    ive got a guest who has set her heart on a " stunning white dress" and she asked my brother what colour my dress was so we didnt clash , its my wedding not some party where you dont want to go in same dress as someone else lol is it me or is that just a wee bit out of order , my fiance and my bridesmaids agree with me but my mum thinks i should "give her a break" lol , i understand everyone wants to look gorgoues at the wedding but i dont understand why go looking for an amazing white dress ?? xx
    I guess it depends what the "stunning white dress" looks like? If its short and your dress is long then it would probably ok? Although if your dress is short then it's not.

I'm trying to think how I would feel? I'm not sure, I think it would depend on the style of the dress. No matter what she wears you will be the centre of attention and if anyone comments it will be to say how innappropriate she looks! And they will be saying how AMAZING you look!

If you think it will upset you then I would say to her that you would rather she doesn't wear it- as long as she isn't the type to tell everyone about the amazing dress she wasn't allowed to wear!

xx

i think the reason it s kinda annoyed me so much is im changing into just a simple white dress at night and as we both have brown hair i dont want ppl mixin us up , yes i know i sound daft lol i think if i was just gonna stay in my wedding dress all night it wouldnt bother me , also she is wanting to get it from littlewoods which kinda makes me think it might be one of the long ones thye have , might be wrong though lol xx