Thread: Guestimating...

Default Guestimating...

Hi everyone! I'm fairly new to the wedding planning scene having only booked our wedding and set a date a few weeks ago. Recently I sat with my mum and started talking budgets! The problem were having is we have no idea where to begin, as we're not actually very sure how much things cost if that makes sense?

For example, whats the "going rate"/average cost of a photographer? What should we expect for our money?

The same with a florist, would 450 floristry costs for my bouquet, 3 x bridesmaids flowers, 2 x 'thank you' bouquets and a couple of button holes?

I'd feel a bit cheeky quite bluntly asking my friend who got married a few years ago how much she paid for different elements as she's quite hush-hush when money is concerned. I'm completely clueless!

Is anyone able to shed some light?

Thanks in advance x

Hi and welcome! You'll get loads of good advice on this forum so ask away! Have a look on suppliers websites and that should help give you a better idea and try SWD for budget tips too! Think it's really difficult to say as it is a very individual thing and what can seem cheap to some people is really expensive from another point of view. I would suggest go with your instinct and ask yourself if you think x amount is too much to spend based on how important it is to you! I didn't really set a budget as such, I looked around and decided on what I wanted to pay for things. We are not having wedding cars for example as I felt I just couldn't justify the expense on something I wasn't fussy about for a ten minute journey to the reception! Hope this is of some use and nice to see another Fife bride, you should search for the Fife bride thread and add your details lol! X

Thank you FH4AM! Where will I find the Fife Bride thread? X

I see you found it lol! X

nearlymrsT

I agree that budgets are definitely a personal thing. Everyone has their limits but doing as much research as you can will certainly help. I did refer to SWD mag for guide budgets to start with. Your venue choice will already have determined your budget to a certain extent as this will be your biggest cost and it depends how important certain things are to you and your h2b. My venue is coming in at about 7000 and everything else is almost matching that. My photographer is 1000. Hope that helps a bit.

Platinum Member

Everyone will have different priorities to spend the budget on, my photographer is 1000 but it is important to decide what sort of package you want as well as what you want to pay, my flowers are 750ish but that includes about 300 for big pedestal arrangements so 450 for what you have listed is reasonable. Biggest spend is the venue at around 6200, then it is just deciding how much you want to pay for the other things and doing some research to get a good deal on them xx

OK, so I Googled "wedding photographers in Fife" - how expensive are photographers?!? LOL! I had clearly underestimated the cost!

What I'd like is a photographer who will do some getting ready shots and me and my bridesmaids leaving my mum and dad's through till the evening (not the very end of the night, just the first few dances), the opportunity to have a nice album put together and my photos on a disc. The best price I found with everything that suits my needs was from Yellow12 Photography at 1720.

The costs for my venue was 8000 for 120 day guests, an extra 80 guests at night, 4 course meal, drinks, buffet, etc. etc. and I also took their bolt on package which covers 2 wedding cars, canapoes, chairs covers, LED dancefloor and extra wine for 1300. So there is a huge huge chuck of money gone already. Starting to freak already!

Quote Originally Posted by FH4AM View Post
    I see you found it lol! X
    I did! Thank u x

If you have the chance to go to any wedding shows I would suggest you do- you get a chance to speak to a whole host of suppliers and get a feel for whether they are right for you. We found our photographer at the Glasgow concert hall fair (then next one is in feb at hampden) and we have booked the exact package you describe. Should have been 1700 + a bit extra for the bridal prep. We got a 'show' deal and we are paying 1000 for it!

Quote Originally Posted by *-suzanne-* View Post
    OK, so I Googled "wedding photographers in Fife" - how expensive are photographers?!? LOL! I had clearly underestimated the cost!

What I'd like is a photographer who will do some getting ready shots and me and my bridesmaids leaving my mum and dad's through till the evening (not the very end of the night, just the first few dances), the opportunity to have a nice album put together and my photos on a disc. The best price I found with everything that suits my needs was from Yellow12 Photography at 1720.

The costs for my venue was 8000 for 120 day guests, an extra 80 guests at night, 4 course meal, drinks, buffet, etc. etc. and I also took their bolt on package which covers 2 wedding cars, canapoes, chairs covers, LED dancefloor and extra wine for 1300. So there is a huge huge chuck of money gone already. Starting to freak already!
    Check out Mark, he has very reasonable prices for what you're looking for! Also has a Facebook page with more weddings on it!

http://www.diamond-images.co.uk/html/index.php?p=1

This thread just proves how different everyones prices are, my venue for 60 day guests and a further 60 at night inc meal and drinks is 3675 and my photographer is only taking the pictures as my dad is also a photographer so he's creating my album so its only costing me 150, im also using artificial flowers as i hate real flowers (strange i know lol) so its only roughly 250. All in all my budget is 10,000. xx

Super Senior Platinum Member MrsSneddonToBe's Avatar

That seems quite expensive for photographer. We are getting photographer from getting ready right through to 3rd dance, a beautiful album, disc of photos, then he's also supplying videography with 5discs. All in all It's 1200 x

Who is your photographer MrsSneddonToBe? I have PLENTY of time. I may hold off looking at prices too much until I go to my first wedding fayre. My maid of honour got engaged recently and wants me to be her maid of honour also, so we're planning lots of girly days out to fayres, etc. We're going to go to the big one at the SECC in February, so hopefully that'll give me a better idea x

nearlymrsT

Suzanne, don't feel you have to look just for suppliers in Fife. Lots of people travel across Scotland, quite often with no or minimal travel expenses. I have suppliers coming from Glasgow, Dunfermline, East lothian and Edinburgh for my wedding at Norton House (near Edinburgh airport) and nobody is charging for travel. I would look for anyone who works within the central belt, it will give you a lot more options.

I'd say that photographer you found is mid to high price bracket for that package.

Platinum Member

I take it you are a fellow Vu bride then?? Good choice I have booked Premier photography, also got a deal at the SECC show xx

Super Senior Platinum Member MrsSneddonToBe's Avatar

We are using George Stark. I'm sure he could travel to wherever u like. If you are the Vu I doubt there would be extra charge x

Oh, I'm a Fife bride too! Where is the Fife bride thread? x

Quote Originally Posted by FH4AM View Post
    Hi and welcome! You'll get loads of good advice on this forum so ask away! Have a look on suppliers websites and that should help give you a better idea and try SWD for budget tips too! Think it's really difficult to say as it is a very individual thing and what can seem cheap to some people is really expensive from another point of view. I would suggest go with your instinct and ask yourself if you think x amount is too much to spend based on how important it is to you! I didn't really set a budget as such, I looked around and decided on what I wanted to pay for things. We are not having wedding cars for example as I felt I just couldn't justify the expense on something I wasn't fussy about for a ten minute journey to the reception! Hope this is of some use and nice to see another Fife bride, you should search for the Fife bride thread and add your details lol! X

Quote Originally Posted by Dawny McP View Post
    Oh, I'm a Fife bride too! Where is the Fife bride thread? x
    Took me a wee while to find it again (had to do a search) and I started it lol! Welcome Dawny McP, go join the Fifers thread, it's in General Chat! X

Quote Originally Posted by FutureMrsJ View Post
    I take it you are a fellow Vu bride then?? Good choice I have booked Premier photography, also got a deal at the SECC show xx
    great minds iam a vu bride and booked premier as well.

great taste :-) whens your big day xx

Platinum Member

It's the 5th of August, coming in so quickly now! How about you? Xx

Hey I'm a vu bride too!! How much is premier costing and what does it cover? X

I've booked Ian at Yellow12 for my photography. He's done weddings of a couple of friends of mine & his photographs are absolutely stunning. He's a really nice guy too. Worth every penny I reckon!