Thread: What does "exclusive use" actual mean?

Default What does "exclusive use" actual mean?

Hi guys,

I am actually beginning to have troubles with my venues, contract is signed and paid on the basis of "Exclusive Use".

What does exclusive actually means? Can they say "ho by the way a perticular room is not included" or they'd be in breach of contract?

So how would you defined "exclusive use" and "exclusive hire"?

Rgds

Super Senior Platinum Member

I would expect exclusive to mean only your booking x

Mrskerr2be

From the venues I looked at which stated "exclusive use" it was implied the whole venue was yours for the day - bedrooms (although most only had a few), dining room/ballroom, gardens etc.

There wouldn't be other guests floating around like their might be in another hotel etc.

nearlymrsT

To me it means that nobody else other than you and your wedding guests (and staff) will be at the venue. I guess it would depend on what kind of venue it is as to whether there would be certain rooms you couldn't use for a particular reason. Are they restricting you from using an important room?

On their brochure, it's basically saying "if you rent exclusively, the venue, the park, the whole ground is your home".

So pretty clear to me.

I made a very early bird booking in order to negociate the price and be sure i could have the venue for the 4 required days.

So by the meantime they decided a big improvement, basically extending the venue (and could make sleep 4 more people there).

And they begin to say if i want to use the improvement, i'd need to pay more.

How would you react?

Quote Originally Posted by ddddc View Post
    On their brochure, it's basically saying "if you rent exclusively, the venue, the park, the whole ground is your home".

So pretty clear to me.
    I made a very early bird booking in order to negociate the price and be sure i could have the venue for the 4 required days.
    So by the meantime they decided a big improvement, basically extending the venue (and could make sleep 4 more people there).
    How would you react?
    Personally I would be pretty frustrated and angry as it seems they are getting you to pay for their improvements. I would carefully go through your contract with a fine tooth comb so that they can't charge you more for their extension.

Quote Originally Posted by ddddc View Post

So pretty clear to me.

How would you react?
    Have a look at the actual contract you signed with them and see what it says. But unless it specifically states that exclusive use includes x number of bedrooms then they have no right to charge you to use the additional ones. If it just says you are paying for exclusive use of the venue then the new improvement should doubt unless it is being run as a separate venue.

With regard to the difference between "exclusive use" and "exclusive hire" I'd say exclusive use means you, your guests, suppliers and venue staff will be the only people allowed on the premises. Whereas exclusive hire would mean you are the only people having a function there (some venues have 2 function rooms and can therefore host two weddings per day) but other people may use the other facilities e.g. spa, restaurant, any rooms you haven't booked x x

Super Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yinster View Post
    Personally I would be pretty frustrated and angry as it seems they are getting you to pay for their improvements. I would carefully go through your contract with a fine tooth comb so that they can't charge you more for their extension.
    I'd second what Yinster has said.

Exclusive Use to me means just that, no one else should have the opportunity to book the 'new rooms'.

Advertisers

I agree with Cara about the difference between exclusive use and exclusive hire. I have run exclusive use properties for years and it was always stipulated in our contract to the client that they would have sole use of the property with no guests outwith the party allowed to visit the property during the hire period (this is particularly important with celebrity weddings for example).

In relation to the property that dddc is renting I would stand firm with them - it is absolutely not in order for them to announce that because the place is now larger that she should have to pay more money, in fact the hotel should have notified her when she made the booking if they were thinking of altering the premises. It is extremely unlikely that they did not plan to make these improvements without a fair amount of forethought, planning permissions being sought etc.. and so I feel it is just lucky for dddc that she has an improved venue at a good price. She should also remember that her deposit will have assisted their cash flow and and in a small part attributed to the ongoing improvement of the venue. Good luck dddc and remember, be polite but firm, they will not want to lose your booking in this economic climate.

Thxs guys. I am a bloke btw :-)

I have been slightly vague on purpose because I don't want the venue to be identified, I don't want to bad mouth about it... Yet!

So indeed, there is no doubt I am booked for exclusive use and exclusive hire. It's clear on the contract. There is even a clause saying they are not liable for any alteration of the venue between the contract date and the date booked.

It is common sense that any upgrade should be free for clients already booked, but the last thing you want is taking your venue to court before the wedding.

The improvement is great, I am not going to lie. They ask for a four digits amount, allegedly discounted 60 percent or so and to be perfectly fair I would have pay the amount in excess to rent the venue. But the fact they try to shaft me is a no go, more for the principle than for the money.

They hire a new manager after we booked and I can tell you the guy is bad, he doesn't understand the difference of tone you need to speak to clients organising a wedding rather than just any corporate event.

I sent a tough email putting the sales, the manager and in copy 2 directors level of the company 4 days ago and still wait for an answer/feedback...

Bottom line is I am not sure they can cancel my booking without any good reason (force majeur, fire to the venue) but they don't give a damn if I cancel as it will be summer months, school holidays so they think they'd book the venue anyway...

My email was sent last Tuesday so tomorrow it will be one week the let me with no answer...
    Pretty poor...

Ok So they basically told me to foff and pay else my booking is cancelled. Great. No choice but to pay.

Super Senior Platinum Member SpecialSundae's Avatar

That's pretty appalling! What's the venue?
    Fairy Gokmother

Senior Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialSundae View Post
    That's pretty appalling! What's the venue?
    i'd also like to know - name and shame or pm me

xx
    Getting Married at Lochside House - 15th June 2013

I am really disappointed indeed and once again it's more about the principle and the way they've done it rather than the money and to be fair once again I would have paid the additional amount at the outset.

But their communication is crap, definitely.

I don't want at the moment to give the name of the venue as I begin to be scared and paranoid, I am in a deep mess if they cancel me.

This "pay or cancel" blackmail is outrageous and in the T&C I would say they would be able to cancel me only for a good reason, not just because they don't like me, but I don't want to take the risk. Don't forget we are talking about a Scottish bride, so if we're cancelled I am dead meat as well :-) So I'll swallow my pride and give them a grant.

There is only a couple of reviews of this venue on this forum, very good, and people who have worked there (catering, photograph) recommended it as well...

Super Senior Platinum Member

What an absolute nightmare for you. Just try to keep cal about the whole situation x

Super Senior Platinum Member MrsSneddonToBe's Avatar

Don't give in to them just yet! I would talk to someone regarding your situation whether its a lawyer or citizens advice even. The fact they are blackmailing you into paying is ridiculous! Can you not just have exclusive use of the hotel but not the new bit?? x
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

Their method is bad indeed. However the new bit comes with a bigger dining room so I want it anyway... So it's more the principle and the way they shafted me, a phone call to nicely discuss options would have been welcome but no they just came one day: "venue improved, pay 1300 please".

So I bend, I pay. Can't afford time wise to lose the venue.

I'll complain after, maybe with a lawyer indeed.

Do not pay. The clause us there for a reason and if they cancel you it could end up for them very messy and public. Which they will not want. Get you local trading standards involved asap. Or cab but I we try trading standards first. If you must pay pay by cheque with accompanying letter stating that it is a payment under protest with the reason why you are protesting payment. This will give you a good base for a complaint after. Also keep every communication if possible arrange a face to face meeting with your coordinators boss. Take in contract and highlight areas of concern. They have a right to be able to set right if you still believe a breach then you SD be able to go to small claims afterward. Bear in mind you may also be able to claim for stress etc if you are that way inclined. But start talking to people now and good luck. Pm me if you need more info help.

Also quit emails make everything written and recorded delivery. It keeps your backside covered and should highlight to them that you are unhappy if they are savvy