Thread: changing the date?

Default changing the date?

Hi all,

I'm due to be married in August 2014 and finding it just feels like ages away - we got engaged in April this year. I'm seriously keen to bring the wedding forward to Feb/March 2014 - tbh, I'm already a bit sick of talking and thinking about the wedding - getting nightmares and keeping me up at night already!!! I do enjoy the planning but I really just want to get married sooner, provided the few suppliers I've booked can change the date ok (only booked venue/humanist celebrant and ceremony music). I also don't know why we booked a summer wedding as I'm not at all bothered what time of year it is. The money isn't too much of an issue, as my h2b has been lucky enough to come into a little bit - I don't expect him to use it all for the wedding, but it would save us having to save up for so long! However he's not so keen (despite the fact he's sick of hearing me talk about it too!) Has anyone else brought their date forward and if so, was there any particular reason?

We didnt bring our date forward but I can honestly say it flies in! We got engaged Dec 2010 and we getting married March 2013 and I honestly dont know where the time has gone. I've also had moments where I've gotten so so fed up with wedding planning but I think most brides go through this. I would say take some time away from the planning, seriously it doesnt need to take over your life (at least not in the beginning). If you can move it without too much hassle then go for it but honestly two years is nothing at all!

Super Senior Member

I can second that it truly does fly in!

Unless your bringing it forward a year or more i would bother a couple of months wont make it that much quicker.

If i were you id see if there was something else to occupy my mind until nearer the time.

Mrskerr2be

I've not changed my date, but I am getting married as soon as me and h2b can - he might only be graduated a week or so!

To change dates with venues you either normally have to find someone to fill in your date, or lose the deposit you have paid. I'm not sure this is the same for other suppliers, but you may lose deposits and not get who you wish if they aren't available. So not only are you down a bit of money that could be used elsewhere, you have to settle for less than what you originally wanted. To me, personally, the wait of 6 months at most, 5 at least, is not worth the disappointment if I cannot get what I want.

You said money isn't an worry because your h2b came into some a while ago, however, you also said he is reluctant to use it for the wedding. Personally, I'd agree with him. Why would you potentially lose money and have to touch that, when it could be a little nest egg for a rainy day, a honeymoon, a family holiday, a home etc?
    Not to mention the arguments you and him may have over it, or the possible consequences if you lose money from the venue/suppliers and then not have enough for your dream wedding by not having the option of the inherited money and not having enough time to save - 6 months can mean a lot of little extras!

Time really does fly in, hell it's almost November already and I can quite clearly remember New Year as if it happened last week! It will be your turn before you know it.

Personally, I would never leave myself short of planning time, use money I never had to and possibly loose suppliers and the venue I wanted all for the sake of getting married a couple of months earlier.

Thanks for your replies - I think you're all absolutely right! Was having a bit of a mad 'moment' when i posted this, and in hindsight, it is only the difference of a few months! As you say, we might have enough money for the wedding (just!) but maybe not for a honeymoon if we moved it forward, the extra 5/6 months pay days would help us out with that! And we definately couldn't afford to lose money on any deposits etc.

Thank you all for bringing me to my senses! Got 'wedding brain'! it's madness when I've got so much on at work, a part-time uni course and decorating my house, plenty of other stuff to concentrate on!!

Platinum Member

Aww that's fab that you have decided to stay put- I can totally agree about the time flying, it goes so quickly! Planning over a longer period gives you time to dip in and out of it, there have been months where I have done nothing then other months where I do loads depending on how boring work is haha! Just enjoy it, before you know it you will counting down the last year then it really flies in! xx

We had to bring our date forward as H2B is in the army and we got some news that he'd be posted abroad 2 days before we were due to get married! It was stressful for the time I was waiting nail biting for emails (as I'm abroad and can't have phone calls) and I wouldn't recommend it!
    It's all sorted now and it's now 2 months before our original date.
    I'm happy for you that you've decided to wait and the chances of you getting better weather in August are higher!
    The time will fly in! X