Thread: I want to go home

Default I want to go home

Hi there, just feeling a wee bit rubbish about being away from home, especially now that our wedding date has changed to sooner.
    For those of you who don't know my OH is in the army and he is in Cyprus just now and I am working in Moldova for the next year- supposedly until September 2013.
    We now get married in November 2013 and I don't want to stay out here for a whole year. I'm not making money really, just enough to live here and it's making me feel guilty. I'm mostly here for the experience because there's bugger all back in Scotland.
    If I come back early I'd probably have to sign and live with the parents. So it's a big catch 22.
    Sorry for the moan, just needed to put it out there!

Super Senior Member

What kind of work are you doing? If you think it would set you up in a few years then it might be wort sticking it out but if not then I would be tempted to come home.

If you come home how would that affect the wedding budget etc? Do you get on well with your parents if you're planning on moving back in? Just some things to consider...

I'm a total home bird and get homesick after a few days away but there's no point being all that way and feeling miserable! Maybe you could set yourself a timeframe of a month or so and revisit it to see if you still feel the same way?

Sorry that's not much help but hopefully you feel better getting it off your chest

L x

hello...

It sounds like you are just getting a bit homesick. I didn't reply to your last thread about planning from abroad but when I did it, we were both in the forces and spent the first half a year planning my wedding from the Falklands, and the second half stressed out my head moving to Cyprus and planning the rest. I didn't even get my dress fitted till 3 days before the wedding! So you are not alone with having to do this!!

I think you need to give yourself a month to see if you really want to go home or if its just feeling a bit blue. I get homesick all the time but it does pass.
    It sounds flippant but remember that in the grand scheme of things, a year really is nothing, it seems like longer when you are staring down the barrel at it than when you get to the other side and have both had great experiences to share with each other it seems like hardly any time, and going home won't make it go any quicker!! We spent 13 months apart from each other in the year before the wedding so i know how tough it can be to get through.

Remember in the scheme of things, you are going to be a long time married, focus on that and focus on the best way to save money and get to your wedding date. Don't focus so much on all the other bits and it does get easier, I promise. Where in Cyprus is your H2B? and are you moving out here once you are married?

x

Hey ladies, thanks for replying. I have been here for 2 months and OH is in the North of Cyprus? I cannie remember where, he's only there for 3 months which end at the end of next.
    @Louby I get on great with my parents. It's just they live in a very isolated place and there's no jobs going anywhere. Plus after living my own life it's difficult but there's plenty of people my age who have been forced into moving back with their parents.
    @mrsw I think you're right, my project here is crap, I'm being forced to work with children, which I hate, but it's looking up. I have a meeting tomorrow for a new project focusing on women's rights. OH is based in Devon so we'll be moving down there together when I come back. I'm just adjusting to life here as I spent most of this year already in Africa working in Malawi.

Feels nice to have a wee moan and speak to others who have been in the same position. Thanks girls it's really appreciated x

Super Senior Member

I moved the Brussels for 6 months on a short term secondment which was very difficult but in the grand scheme of things, for 6 months away from home I have now got a great job which I love and pays well so we are able to afford our wedding. Stick with it and hopefully this new project takes off x

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Monteith To Be View Post
    I moved the Brussels for 6 months on a short term secondment which was very difficult but in the grand scheme of things, for 6 months away from home I have now got a great job which I love and pays well so we are able to afford our wedding. Stick with it and hopefully this new project takes off x
    That's is extremely encouraging! Thank you very much x

Super Senior Member

How did your meeting go? Hopefully that will sort things out a bit and you get through it I'm sure if you managed in malawi this is just an adjustment as you say so hang on in there.

At least if worst came to worst you know your parents would support you on it too

Always happy to chat - a moan can take the weight off your shoulders

X

Thanks girls for the support! As it turns out I might very well get deported early as my police check documents are still in the post and I need them for my visa application. The deadline was yesterday and they haven't came through yet!
    I'm in two minds about going home early/ being deported but it's exciting none the less waiting to find out!
    I'm saying exciting because my friend and I are in the exact same situation and we are stressed out of our minds about it and now we're using excited rather than stressed! X