Thread: Diy Stationary

Default Diy Stationary

Hi ladies,

Currently having a stressful time of it all and looking for bit of a distraction. We are still arranging to book some of our bigger things for wedding next November but I am looking to have something theraputic to distract me from life when I need it.

My plan is to make my day invites, evening invites and order of service. i think I will need about 50 of each and with quite a demanding job Im thinking I should do this sooner rather than later. I imagine we would need to send the invites August next year and H2B wants to leave enough time so we can get them professionally made if im not happy or run out of time so I imagine they need done by may/june time. Do you think now is too early to get started now? How did everyone go about ideas/ supply gathering etc? Would like to have stuff gathered by around Christmas so I am leaving myself plenty of time but don't know where to start!

Any guidance will be much appreciated. My maid of honour suggested we take a trip to hobbycraft at the fort. Would you rate it?

Xx
    When love feels like magic, you call it destiny.
    When destiny has a sense of humour you call it Serendipity

Hey

I am making all my invites, order of service, center pieces and table names so i have started now and our wedding is in May 2013. I just have a box of Invite making stuff i can get out when i have a spare evening. Its hard work but i think the personal touch will be nice.

Do you mean the Edinburgh fort? If you are around Edinburgh Paperlace in Dalkeith is brillant girls are really helpful....Good luck x

Super Senior Member

Hi,

I am planning to make my seating plan, table names, place cards & menu's, we too are getting married in November 2013. I was at Dunellin Mill yesterday having a look and they really have a good selection of card, canvases & fiddly bits.....If it is HobbCraft at the Glasgow Fort you are thinking of the only thing I would say is they are very expensive, we priced card and it was approx £1.09 for a sheet of the same stuff we can get at Dunelllin Mill for 0.39p. As I only have a few bits to make I am planning to pick up the stuff and start doing it in the new year so it is ready just to have names put on.

Good Luck x

Hiya,

I'm making all of our invitations (day and night), orders of service, and thank you cards. I wouldnt recommend Hobbycraft, as they're very expensive. I'd suggest having a look on the internet or in some craft shops (the one i've used for a few things has a big sample book of invitations and stuff) so you can get ideas of what you want.

The place we used is http://www.wedloco.co.uk/ The owner, Evie, is very helpful, and even let us visit her workshop to collect the stationery to save on delivery costs, and she also gave us a demonstration on how to make the invitations. We're using mulberry paper to make a feathered effect in the centre of the card, with an embossed thistle on top of the paper.

I'd recommend you start asap, as our invitations are taking 20 mins each invite, and thats before we put inserts in (will do them at a later stage). The reason for starting asap is it can become really tedious (albeit satisfying), so you want to give yourself a few days break in between each session

x

Hi,

Can i be really cheeky and ask if its saving money?
    Got a price for all our stationary and couldnt quite believe the cost! so now i would love to make our invites... im not too arty but wedloco is a great site lorilainey!

i have a good bit of time on my hands the now and would love to lose myself in the invite making process! x

Well, I must admit my figures would be a bit skewed, because we only had to buy a minimal amount because my best mate got married 2 years ago, and used wedloco, so I just had to top up on card/envelopes/inserts as she had lots left over, buy a stamper (couldnt use her main one as our main one, plus we wanted scottish theme anyway, so went with a thistle). All in, it cost us £52, but obviously I had lots and lots gifted to me. Plus because I knew we would get our stationery there, I didnt even bother to check professional costs. Have you had some quotes?

x

I used wedloco for all my stationery last year and would throughly recommend.

Lx

For all our stationary we are talking about £200 ish! I love the invites that i had picked though so one option could be to get evening invites from a card shop and write them myself?!
    not sure i could quite justify £200 on it all when i know there are other options (can only imagine H2B's face if he knew!!)

I'd recommend you add things to your basket on the wedloco site, and see how much it comes in at. I must admit, there's nothing more satisfying than looking at them and thinking 'I made that' x

Also try craftworld at hillington and ebay ive got most of my stuff from here and both more reasonable than hobbycraft x

I plan to make all of my own stationary too. Our wedding isn't until early 2014, but I'm already starting so that I can just do a wee bit here and there rather than leaving it too later and stressing out. I have made a version I am happy with and a list of everything I will need to make it all. My plan is to buy it at the hobby craft fair at the SECC later this month (not this weekend, but the next again one). You'll find everything you need and can hunt around for the best prices. I made the stationary for my brothers wedding and for my best friends wedding and got most of what I needed there. I'd say it will definitely be cheaper than having someone make it for you.

Thanks guys. The one i was thinking was hobbycraft at glasgow fort. But will try craftworld and dunnellin mill for ideas then start looking online.

I am hoping to do it for about £100 but sure I will go over that. I just love the idea of them being made by us hopefully can give them something individual.

Is embossing just like glitter on top of the stamp lorilaney? It looks beautiful but dont know if it would up the price and be a bit too complicated for me! Xx

I must admit when I found the invitations I liked online they were £4.50 each! I have designed my own version of them, which look just as good but at a fraction of the cost. I require approx 100 invitations and have so far managed to buy everything required to make them for less than £100. So yes I do think it is cheaper to make than buy, and as already said, you get the satisfaction of knowing you made them yourself x

Platinum Member

I was shocked by the prices also. I was all for plain simple invitations for a start but once menu options and travel directions came into play things got ridiculously expensive.

We are now doing cheque-book style invitations with 3 inserts, embossing the front with a stamp we had made and tying with ribbon. Everything came to £103 including quality envelopes (which were the most expensive individual item)

I just started cutting ribbon tonight after a stressful day in work and it's been very therapeutic. The embossing will be a different story as I managed to emboss the dining table on my first attempt

Created by Wedding Favors

I bought our gatefold cards from PDA cards and crafts- they have fanastic prices for great quality card. I then went to the hobbycraft fair today at the SECC and got everything else I needed to make all of our stationary. I've spent just under £50 and have everything required to make about 100 invites, 60 order of service, table name signs, place cards, menu cards and the table plan (only 1 thing left to buy, which is a sheet of A2 or A1 size card). I got 100 gatefolds cards, 100 envelopes, 150 sheets maroon pearlised paper, 150 sheets silver pearlised paper, 12 rolls of double sided tape, 2 packs of sticky pads, 46metres of maroon ribbon and 700 double sided pearls for this price. Definitely much cheaper than paying for someone else to do it and I know I will enjoy putting it all together, as well as being 100% happy with the outcome because I've done it myself and had total control over it.

Mrstaylor2be, that's a bargain! Bride2013, sorry I've just seen this thread again, and your question. Embossing is so easy, you put your stamper in a stamper pad to wet it, stamp it on your card, cover the stamped area with embossing glitter, and use a heat gun to finish the process

PDA Card and Craft is by far the cheapest. I think it was only about £15 for all the card we needed to do day and evening invites. Envelopes were about £10 from eBay, address labels a couple of pounds from Ryman, and then just plain white paper for printing on. All the important info was inside the card. Took a LOT of cutting and sticking, but even after buying a printer and a paper cutter, it was still under £100. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	7446

PrettyWrong they're gorgeous! How did you do it?!

Quote Originally Posted by jennietea View Post
    PrettyWrong they're gorgeous! How did you do it?!
    Thanks! It was really simple. I designed it using OpenOffice Draw, then printed and cut everything on white paper and sticking t on the card using double sided tape. Inside the actual invite card are a further 2 sections of white paper stuck on, with all the useful info. The RSVP is a single piece of card, cut and stuck in the same way, only we used a perforator so the smaller bit could be kept and the larger piece returned. The ribbon was just cut and stuck to itself at the back with a bit of double sided, and then the diamanté was stuck on. We used buttons on the day invites.

Time consuming but really easy!

Thanks for posting that! They really are beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by jennietea View Post
    Thanks for posting that! They really are beautiful.
    Thanks! We also downloaded some free fonts to use as the ones in OpenOffice aren't very interesting!

Thanks Lorilainey I will need to look into it that sounds awesome!

Pretty_Wrong your invites are amazing xx