Thread: Wearing Engagement ring on a different hand

Default Wearing Engagement ring on a different hand

I'm having a dilemma about my wedding ring. We had smooch out last week & they told me I had no option but to get a shaped wedding ring as I have an Emerald cut engagement ring.

Given that my fingers aren't massively big, any ring I get would have to be relatively plain (which I don't want) as it would be lost alongside my engagement ring.

I've been thinking about getting an unshaped wedding ring & wearing my engagement ring on my left hand but I don't know if that's really strange or not?

i'm not sure if i'm confused what you're asking? do you not plan to wear them both at the same time? so it wouldnt matter what shape the wedding ring was? and you would get all the brilliance of your engagement ring too, so the wedding ring wouldnt need to be too embellished??
    unless you mean just for the actual wedding day? when it looked at shaped wedding rings i thought that for the pictures i could just put the shaped bit at my palm for the pictures so it didnt look funny? not sure if i am being dense when reading this, sorry if thats no help whatsoever!! :-)

I want to wear them at the same time but wearing them on the same finger would mean that I would have to get a shaped ring. It would have to be a big cut out of the ring as it's a large stone in my engagement ring which means any wedding ring I get would have to be pretty plain.

I haven't heard of many people wearing their wedding ring on one finger & their engagement ring on another so wasn't sure if this would be really strange to do

A girl at my work wears her engagement ring on her right hand and wedding ring on her left. So i've seen it done. Personally I can't wait to wear them both together and I would get the shaped ring to fit around my engagement but I don't think it's a huge deal if you want to wear them on opposite hands. It's about what you would prefer and feel most comfortable with.x

ah right - sorry i wasnt sure!!! to be honest i think you should do whatever you want to!!! Who cares what other folk think, if you're happy wearing your rings on different hands its really up to you, lots of people i work with (i work in a hospital usually) only wear their wedding rings at work, am sure nobody will even notice if your engagement ring is on the other hand lol not sure thats any help :-)

Platinum Member

Can you post a picture of your ring as you may find that other people have been able to find a ring to suit, without having to purchase a shaped one? My ring is rectangular with a double band and I thought I'd have to go down a specially made ring route but I found a wishbone ring that worked and the wishbone has diamonds in it. Just a thought.

amoricksen - I didn't think to post a pic up! Don't know if this will give a good idea but it's the best pic I haveClick image for larger version. 

Name:	428229_349608468407050_2131489548_n.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	7247

thats a gorgeous ring!! what sort of height does it have? would a band not sit under the diamond? (any detail on the wedding band would be slightly hidden of course) i originally thought i would also need to get a shaped ring but was able to get a diamond set band that sat perfectly with it due to the wee bit of height the engagement ring has... am sure Smooch prob investigated this with you tho... am no help whatsoever today! i do think there is no prob wearing the engagement ring on whatever finger you want if you cant get a better solution :-)

Platinum Member

I was just going to ask the same as thistle88 about any height under the band. Other places offered to cut a bit of the engagement ring to fit one under it but I preferred not to do this. I would get second opinion though. I'm not doubting smooch as we got H2B's ring from there but they are one seller and designed rings do cost more, so sometimes I do wonder if suppliers really investigate ALL the options for you. Maybe someone else on here has a similar ring and can advise.

It is gorgeous by the way

Yeah they pretty much said it has to be a shaped wedding ring & that's it.

With a band on underneath the ring, there is quite a gap between the band & the engagement ring - not too sure what the exact height is but it's definitely noticeable.

We're planning on taking another look around Glasgow this weekend for wedding rings as I want to be certain that's my only option to help me decide.

Super Senior Member

As others have said "you should do whatever suits you"

Do whatever suits you. I opted not to have an engagement ring at all and have been getting some pitying looks from some people (mostly those who don't know me very well!) but my job limits the jewellery I can wear and when I tried engagement rings & wedding rings on together they dwarved my hands. I've been wearing a ring my fiance bought me for Christmas a couple of years ago but can't wait to replace it with my wedding ring.

nearlymrsT

If you want a sparkly wedding band then go for it and wear your engagement ring on another finger (as long as it fits)! It was suggested that I should get a shaped wedding ring but I thought my ring looked fine with a straight plain band and at least then I have the option to wear the wedding band on it's own. Shaped wedding bands look a bit daft when the engagement ring isn't there I think. My friend's shaped rings twirl around on her finger so never fit together like they should anyway.

Super Senior Member

Hey, my engagement ring is a square cut that means a plain band wouldnt sit straight either. I went to 3 places to look at designs and how i could design my own and they were all different so have a look around and see what else is out there. I agree with the others, wear it how you like it and stuff everyone else!!

Hi
    I think you should try an independent jeweller, I had a piece taken out of my e ring so
    I could wear a diamond band. my ring is a trilogy and a lot smaller than your beautiful ring,
    but it would still be worth trying to see if it would work.
    I can highly recomend Ian Gallacher from Stirling

Platinum Member

Hope you get some second opinions, but as others have said, you don't have to wear together if you don't want to.

This is my ring

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4915.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	7256

And a wishbone ring worked for me, when everyone else was telling me I would have to get it made to fit. It's worth trying some rings to see if anything else works.

Oooh that's quite nice. We're going to have a look around on Sunday for rings so I'll def be seeking some second opinions on it.

Platinum Member

Good luck xx

I was considering wearing my engagement ring on my right hand after getting the wedding ring as well, just because I often think two rings on one finger looks too busy for my liking.

I say just go for it. You don't have to adhere to tradition on every count. It's traditional in a lot of European countries to wear wedding/engagement rings on the right hand anyway.

We went ring shopping yesterday to John MacIntyre & Sons & I went ahead with a cut ring. I had a look at the wishbone type rings but there was too much of a gap between the rings. Getting a couple of rubies in it so it's not plain but they said any pattern on the ring would be lost with the cut.

Pretty pleased with my decision & the staff are so helpful there! Would definitely recommend them!!