Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 4th June 2012 - a day I will never forget!

Super Senior Platinum Member

Gayle, your pictures are stunning. Have a lovely time when u r off work x

Super Senior Member Mrs_G to be's Avatar

lovely photos - loving this report - your bridesmaids were similar in colour to my bridesmaids - you look gorgeous

Getting married on 23/06/12

Loving your report so far Gayle! Can I ask what tartan your wedding party wore? It looks lovely x

Quote Originally Posted by Cara View Post
    Loving your report so far Gayle! Can I ask what tartan your wedding party wore? It looks lovely x
    It's the Isle of Skye tartan and we got it from Kiltpin in Falkirk.

Love reading your report Gayle. X

Stunning Gayle! Would you recommend Kiltpin? We are considering using them

Quote Originally Posted by PBHB2B View Post
    Hi,

I can highly recommend them, we've bought my H2Bs kilt from them, and will get the other bits (jacket, waistcoat etc) nearer the time, as H2B will wear his kilt 3 times prior to wedding but with a ghillie shirt so everything but his kilt is brand new on the wedding day. Andrew is so unbelievably helpful, so friendly and so laidback (but in a good way - nothing is a problem to them) - couldnt recommend them highly enough

Gayle, loving your report, and the photos are fab - you looked stunning! I also had a giggle about you cutting the grass! x

Quote Originally Posted by PBHB2B View Post
    Absolutely! Andrew was great to deal with and took so much time in dealing with us. We had Fraser's kilt made and hired the others. Fraser's kilt was well worth the money. Kiltpin have won the vows award for groomswear several years running which said a lot to us when deciding where to go.

Quote Originally Posted by lorilainey View Post
    Gayle, loving your report, and the photos are fab - you looked stunning! I also had a giggle about you cutting the grass! x
    Thanks! . I'm so glad I did get the time to cut the grass as the photographer took pics of the house from the front and I'd have been annoyed if the grass wasn't looking tidy!

The Speeches/Meal

We were running a little bit behind time as the ceremony had taken longer than anticipated. Our guests were called into the room for dinner about 4.15. Fraser and I used this time to have some more photos taken outside. The piper piped the wedding party into the room and then Fraser and I. We’d chosen to have the two large “posh n’becks” chairs that the hotel have. They looked fab but were quite impractical to get in and out of easily. Fraser’s friend and usher Stan acted as Master of Ceremonies and did an amazing job. We chose to have the speeches before the meal so all the speakers could relax and enjoy their food.

My Dad was up first and did a really good job. He’d printed his speech out in large font so that he could read it without having to use his glasses. It was a really lovely speech. I had managed to keep myself composed throughout the ceremony but finally cracked during the speeches. My Dad toasted the people who could not be with us on the day and I knew the one person he missed the most was my gran who passed away in September 2011. There was barely a dry eye in the house.

Next up was Fraser – he gave a lovely speech and made sure that nobody was missed out with the thank you’s including our various suppliers. We didn’t notice on the day but did when watching the dvd back that Fraser thought everyone was “stunning” on the day – me, my bridesmaids, all his ushers and my brothers – it makes us laugh every time we watch the wedding dvd! There was more tears when he spoke about my Nana. For various reasons she chose not to come to our wedding and I was heartbroken by this. We wanted to mention her in the speech so she knew that she was very much in our thoughts on our wedding day.

Last up were the best men – Fraser’s friends Kev and Mike that he went to school with. These guys are both total jokers, Mike in particular! I was a little anxious before hand about what they would say and whether I would get embarrassed or upset by something they’d say. They told us about three weeks before hand that they were going to use a laptop and needed a projector screen. This set alarm bells ringing! In the end we need not have worried. The first 10 minutes or so of their speech was really funny and consisted of them talking about why they thought I loved Fraser. They talked about all his unusual traits and accompanied the speech with various embarrassing photos on the projector screen. We both had tears in our eyes laughing at the speech. The final part of their speech worried me the most as I thought it was going to be more of the same and would be a total piss-take of both of us. How wrong was I! They had secretly been in contact with our parents and got photos of us through the years growing up. Mike had made a powerpoint show montage of the two of us growing up and then our years together as a couple. They had music to accompany it which was the Book of Love by Peter Gabriel (fans of the show Scrubs will be familiar with it!). The waterworks really started during this so thankfully Fraser was on hand with a tissue. It was just such a genuinely lovely thing for them to do and was appreciated so much by Fraser and I and all our guests.

We had a fantasic meal at the Western House Hotel and the staff worked really hard to ensure that all guests got their food as quickly as possible. There’s nothing worse than being one of the last tables to be served and seeing other tables almost finished their food before you have even got yours. The food itself was perfect and there were clean plates all round. Between each course Fraser and I got up and circulated the room and spoke to all our guests. We preferred this option over doing a formal line-up.

Fraser and I being piped into the room
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no.207.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	7224

Sitting down on the posh 'n' becks chairs

Name:	no.209.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	7225

Our Master of Ceremonies - Stan

Name:	no.210.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	7226

My Dad giving his speech

Name:	no.213.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	7227

I forgot to mention that when the best men came to do their speech they got out of their seats and ran out of the room for about a minute. We were all wondering where they had gone. They came running back into the room with these hats on their head with flashing lights and a siren noise playing as Fraser is a Police Officer. They cautioned the guests and warned them that anything they say may be used against them in a court of law where I would probably be suing them! It was really funny and a cracking start to the speech!

Name:	no.225.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	7228

The projector screen used during the speech

Name:	no.239.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	7229

Laughs all round at the top table

Name:	no.242.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	7230

One of the pictures supplied by my parents!

Name:	no.250.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	7231

The Reception Room

I missed out telling you about the dressing of our room. I really liked the reception room at the Western House Hotel and thankfully it had nice chairs that did not need chair covers as I’m not a huge fan of them! The hotel supply candelabras that Fraser wanted to use but I really wanted flowers for my centrepieces. We compromised (eventually!) and opted for half the tables with candelabras and the other half with floral centrepieces. I fell in love with really large floral centrepieces that when priced up by our florist were going to come in at £160 each! Way over budget. We settled on something half the price but still quite large. However, about a week before the wedding I thought I’m only going to do this once so I want the flower centrepieces that I love and I told them florist to go ahead with the more expensive ones (I didn’t tell Fraser about this until the day though, sneaky!) We were only having 8 tables so it wasn’t too bad but still more expensive that the others we had looked at. To further decorate the tables we got lots of simple tealight holders from ikea and put half a dozen on each table. We also got ribbons to match our colours (navy blue and lavender) and cut them into lengths and had the hotel fold the napkins and then tie a bow round them with the ribbon in alternating colours. It was a simple way of incorporating our colour scheme without using chair covers and sashes. I was pleased with how it looked on the day.

The table plan and table names were all handmade by me in a similar style to our invites. I got the frames from Wilkinsons, the backing card from Hobbycraft, the ribbon from ebay and the crystal embellishments from the Handcrafted Card Company. I printed out the names and tables using our laser printer at home and then cut and glued them all together. I was really pleased with the finished look.

One final word on table names! We were really stuck for ideas. I originally said to Fraser that he could decide and I fully anticipated a football theme or something but he knew that I wouldn’t really like that. He sat on the internet one night searching for ideas and eventually came up with words/phrases from the first dance song. We settled on this. We were doing our first dance to Everything by Michael Buble so for table names we had The Perfect Thing (for the top table) and then Kinda Cute, The Wishing Well, The Swimming Pool, The Getaway Car, Light Me Up, The Falling Stars, The Carousel and Outer Space. Some guests asked us what the table name theme was and we told them it was related to the first dance but nobody managed to get it although after watching and hearing our first dance they all understood the table names!

The table plan

Name:	no.192.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	7232

Our floral centerpieces (the more expensive ones!)

Name:	no.194.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	7233

A table name

Name:	no.197.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	7234

The napkins and ribbons

Name:	no.199.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	7235

Finally for today, the cake (more about the cake later!)

Name:	no.200.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	7236

Platinum Member

I'm sitting here giggling at the idea of your best men and their hats, I imagine they get regular jokes out of the police officer and solicitor combination!

Love the idea of the ribbons around the napkins, it is so simple but really effective. And I adore your flowers, I am going to keep that pic for my mum (a florist) I'd been thinking about just using the candelabras to keep things simple but you're right, we're onlt doing this once!

Created by Wedding Favors

Quote Originally Posted by carirw View Post
    I'm sitting here giggling at the idea of your best men and their hats, I imagine they get regular jokes out of the police officer and solicitor combination!

Love the idea of the ribbons around the napkins, it is so simple but really effective. And I adore your flowers, I am going to keep that pic for my mum (a florist) I'd been thinking about just using the candelabras to keep things simple but you're right, we're onlt doing this once!
    Oh that's handy your mum is a florist! I always thought I wouldn't spend much on flowers given that they're dead in a couple of days but that went out of the window when I set my heart on large arrangements! They did look spectacular in the room though!