Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Our WONDERFUL wedding day, Dundas Castle

Default Our WONDERFUL wedding day, Dundas Castle

I've been meaning to put this report on for ages, but honeymoon (yey!), work (boo!) and other things got in the way! Good luck to all the brides still awaiting their day. It feels like a dream after it happens, and it is so true what they say, it will be the happiest day of your life.

This may have to be in sections, but here goes!

Thursday (3 days until the wedding):

Today we went over to Dundas to take my dress, Mum's outfit and all our decor. We did everything ourselves, so we had a lot of stuff! It was sooooo rainy, so we had to do trips to and from the car with everyone holding umbrellas over everything! We also had a quick walk through the ceremony, just to time my walking in and check the layout of everything. I got really teary just standing at the front with Kennedy!
    It was lovely being there, as the bridesmaids and best men hadn't seen Dundas before. Even in the rain it looked fabulous!

After that (and a pub lunch) we came home to get ready for the evening.... which was a bridal shower party! (American style! - I used to live there, and one of my BMs is American, so she wanted to throw a proper "shower")
    There were about 18 of us, and we went to a local farm cafe which had opened in the evening especially! We had amazing food and champagne, followed by homemade icecream! We played silly games, including wedding cake decorating, quizzes about me, (even I was stuck!) and making wedding dresses out of tissue paper! I was one of the models.... here's a pic:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	032.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	5959

It was great fun. One of my friends had collected all my favourite quotes from Sex and the City (the sentimental ones, not the sex related ones!) and read them out - we were all in tears! It was so lovely. Then as we left, there was a big blackboard with "3 days to go!" written on it.... That brought it all home, and I started to get VERY excited!
    We got home just before midnight, and my Dad, Kennedy and my bridesmaid's husband had just got back (they'd been to the pub!) and we all sat around eating cake and chatting until the early hours. I probably should have been thinking about my beauty sleep.... but it was all too much fun and too exciting!

Friday (2 days until the wedding):

Today we went out for brunch in the West End and then collected one of my other bridesmaids from the airport. I'd booked the girls in to have their nails done in the afternoon, while I went off for a body wrap (my dress was TIGHT, and I was worried about it, so I thought a body wrap might just ease the pressure a bit - which it did by the way! Definitely recommended!)
    Otherwise it was a relaxing day! We had a nice dinner out that evening, with two of my bridesmaids and their husbands, my parents and Kennedy. I just loved being with everyone - none of my bridesmaids live in Scotland, and neither do my parents, so having them all there was amazing.

Saturday (1 day until wedding!):

This morning I had my nails done, and then we headed over to Edinburgh as we had an apartment booked for that night. It was strange saying goodbye to Kennedy, but I was actually really looking forward to that time with my family and bridesmaids. We had a bottle of champagne on the train (tried to take it easy though!), met my brother and family who had come up that day from Essex, and then myself and the BMs headed to Harvey Nics for pedicures! (via H&M for some button up tops for the morning.... we'd forgotten that once you've had hair and makeup done, you don't want to have to get a top off over your head! Top tip)

In the evening, we had a fabulous meal at the Balmoral Hotel - my parents, brother, sister-in-law, nephews, and all the bridesmaids. I was quite aware that I wanted an early night though, and that I needed to get into my dress (!), so didn't relax into the eating and drinking quite as I normally would have.
    We got back to apartment, and I gave the bridesmaids their gifts - bags filled with perfume/mirror/tissues, jewellery and pashminas. They'd also done a lovely book for me with photos of the hen do, and a little card from everyone who had been there. I also took my youngest bridesmaid up to her apartment and gave her some gifts too - she was SO excited, which made me even more so! Her and her mum had flown over from the USA for the wedding, and my little BM had never even been to a wedding before!
    Then, just before I went up to the apartment, my brother gave me a little envelope. I opened it, and there was a little brooch in it. He said it had belonged to our Grandmother whom I'd never met, and he'd kept it, saying that she'd have wanted me to have it, and would have been very proud. It was lovely, especially as my brother is usually not sentimental at all! I decided I'd pin it to my bouquet, as I had given the florists a brooch from my other Grandma who died a few years ago to pin onto it.
    Then it was time to try and sleep.... although I ended up sharing a bed with one of my BMs! We thought one of the rooms was a twin, not a double! We have shared a lot of beds growing up, so it was actually kind of fun to do it again, and just like old times, she chatted on about her love life as we lay there trying to go to sleep! I just kept picturing the moment when I'd see Kennedy at 2pm the next day. I couldn't believe the night before my wedding day had all finally arrived.

Senior Member Miss Pinot Grigio's Avatar

Write faster What an unusual name, Kennedy. I like it though!

Platinum Member

Oh this is so exciting, I can't wait to read more.....

Created by Wedding Favors

Super Senior Platinum Member

Loving your report and waiting patiently for the bit about the day itself x

Sunday (WEDDING DAY!!!):

We woke up at about 7.30am - not as early as I'd thought actually, which was great, as I didn't want to be pacing around for ages before the hairdresser arrived!
    I went into the living room of the apartment, and my bridesmaid was in there holding a parcel. She told me in was from Kennedy. I opened it..... and it was a pair of black Christian Louboutins!! I'm a massive Louboutin fan, but haven't got any black ones. I'd always said to K that I'd love some, as I wear black shoes for work. He wrote on the card, "these are so you remember this day whenever you wear them". I was SO amazed! They fitted perfectly too! I was however slightly embarrassed, as I'd left a wee pressie for him at home with the best man... you'll see what my gift was in this picture.....possibly my gift wasn't necessary!

Name:	KK_020.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	5967

Aww this is fab! You got married the same weekend as me and reading the events in the run up to your big day is bringing it all back for me - v.emotional! Congratulations!

Love this!! Keep going :0) x

Wedding day continued....:

The hairdressers arrived at 8am, and started straight away, as they had 4 BMs, my sister-in-law and me to get through, and we were leaving the apartment to go to the castle at 11.30am (we were getting dressed and I was having my makeup done there). The photographers arrived (the AMAZING Claremont Photography) and were just such a lovely couple to have around. The apartment was quite busy, but it was all so exciting! Suddenly the doorbell went, and there was a man standing there with a tower of french macarons and a bottle of champagne! There was no card, but I knew it was from Kennedy again!

I was last with the hairdresser, so it actually became a bit of a panic (I had a few sips of champers just to calm the nerves...and a macaron, well two actually, but hey if the dress didn't fit then it was never going to!). The BMs had all had hair and makeup done by this point, and were all looking so beautiful! My hairdresser was putting my veil on at the apartment right before we left - we had to be so careful when getting to the cars that were taking us to the castle! (and looked a bit odd in joggers and a shirt, with my hair done and veil in, running down Queen St to get to the car!)

Name:	KK_027.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	5969

Wedding day cont...:

We arrived at the castle in a bit of a panic, as we had to avoid seeing Kennedy and the boys, as they were arriving at a similar time! And we were pretty much RIGHT after them!! My BM was texting K asking him if they were in their room... and then we saw their car right in front of us!! So we had to hover! Luckily, the crisis was averted and we got safely into the beautiful room that we were preparing in.... and there were the dresses hanging beautifully! So exciting!

My makeup artist was all ready to go, so I got straight into the chair so that she could get on with my makeup.

Name:	KK_047.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	5970

The florists, who happen to be two of my closest friends, arrived with the bouquets. I was so happy to see them, and even though the room was full of people (4 bridesmaids, Mum, our wedding coordinator, the photographers), I felt quite calm sitting in the makeup chair looking out over the Dundas grounds. The weather was INCREDIBLE.... it had been a bit overcast the day before, but by now, the sun was shining and there wasn't a cloud in the sky! I just couldn't believe it!

Wedding day cont....:

Around me, the bridesmaids were getting dressed, and my Mum too. Everyone just looked amazing! It was the first time I'd seen the girls in their dresses all together, as they live in different parts of the world. They were the same colour, but slightly different styles.
    I got into my dress - a 4 man job (lots of buttons!) - and then finally was ready!

Name:	KK_090.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	5971

Excited, and ready to get married!

Name:	KK_089.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	5972

Walking across to the Auld Keep where we were getting married, I still felt calm! I saw Kennedy's best man, who'd come down to collect my Mum, and he gave me a wink. The bells were tolled, and the piper was playing... I just hung onto my Dad's arm. We walked up the spiral stone stairs to the top of the Keep, and I kept thinking "this is it!" It was such a strange feeling. We waited just before the entrance to the Keep - the bridesmaids were going in first, along with my little page boy nephew.

I heard the music begin, and the bridesmaids went in one by one. My heart was pounding, but I felt so happy! I was convinced I was going to cry when I saw Kennedy, but amazingly, I didn't. I just smiled - well, perma-grinned possibly (I'm waiting to see when we get the video!) I didn't take my eyes off Kennedy, even though I'd imagined I'd want to see everyone's faces. I just couldn't take my eyes off him. I got to the bottom of the little aisle, and the vicar smiled at me (he's a family friend who's known me since I was 5). He was so relaxed, and it gave a lovely feel tot the whole service.

Name:	KK_103.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	5973

The service was beautiful. Our friends from work played (we are musicians) and my uncle and friends did readings. That was the first moment I shed a few tears - my friend's reading was about friendship, and it made me think about everyone that had come all that way for our wedding, and with Kennedy by my side holding my hand.... it just felt so special.

We went up to roof for some photos, as the weather was still so stunning! It was then that I first properly talked to Kennedy! He looked so handsome. He couldn't get over the train on my dress! He said he thought big trains were just for royalty... (and I said, err, exactly!) Bless!

Name:	KK_129.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	5974

Then we went back into the Castle itself, except we went the back way so that we could have 5 mins to ourselves, have a sip of champagne, and our own plate of canapes, yum! By the way, for all those people who say brides don't eat on their wedding day, I proved them 100% wrong! I didn't miss a thing! I tried every canape and ate every mouthful of our 4 course meal, and a couple of bits of cake! My dress felt bloomin tight by midnight though!!

We were piped into our drinks reception, and got to chat to our lovely guests. I loved that bit of the day. We did have some photos during the drinks reception, but I was clear that I didn't want to spend ages taking photos, I wanted casual shots of our guests and us chatting to them. My Dad's speech was during the drinks too. We thought it'd be nice to split the speeches up, and have them at different points in the day. It was great - such a good speech, everyone said it was one of the best wedding speeches they'd ever heard! He did start the speech by thanking himself for being there.... He said we'd been engaged for so long, he didn't think he would make it!

After a few more photos...

Name:	KK_154.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	5975

Name:	KK_172.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	5976

.....we cut our cake!
    We were quite excited about the cake, as we'd designed it ourselves, and had kept it a secret from everyone (even my Mum who thought she knew EVERYTHING about our wedding!)! We both love fashion and travel, and Kennedy is a chef in his spare time - he was a masterchef contestant last year - so we had a few fashiony/chefy touches!

Name:	KK_034.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	5977

We cut the cake with the Dundas sword - it was so heavy, but we managed to make a tiny dent in the cake!

Great report. Can't wait for the next part. You look stunning and the photographs are fantastic.x

We were piped into dinner in the Pavillion, and that was the first time I saw it with all our decor, the centrepieces I'd bought, the favours I'd made.... it was quite emotional seeing nearly two years of work all in one room! Kennedy did his speech before dinner when we all sat down, and he was pretty nervous. He did make a lot of people cry, myself included! It was a gorgeous speech.
    Dinner was YUMMY, and as I said earlier, I didn't waste any! I didn't drink much though... maybe half a glass of wine with dinner. We did a little tour of the room between each course so that we could chat to our friends and family. That was really lovely.

After dinner was my speech (eek) followed by the two best men. Their speech was very funny... they even managed to get K wearing some rather strange attire!

Name:	KK_278.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	5978

Awwwww sounds amazing, and you look amazing!! x

After the final speeches, we went back to the castle to greet our evening guests. I also took the chance to pop upstairs and change into my evening shoes!

Name:	KK_076.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	5979

Can't wait for the rest of your report! Your pictures look amazing too x

Our evening reception was fantastic. Our band, The Wee Small Hours, was just brilliant. We started with our first dance, which I wasn't totally looking forward to, but we got through it! Weirdly, our first dance was the song "the wee small hours of the morning", chosen before we chose our band!! (spooky!) The band then played everything that we loved and did a mix of ceilidh and covers. The ceilidh numbers were just fab - the dance floor was packed, and near the end of the night we had an absolutely massive Strip the Willow. I actually gashed my big toe quite badly.... but didn't even notice until the night was finished! I was having so much fun I didn't even feel the pain! (wiping the blood of my Louboutins was more painful!!)

We had some other things for people to do while the reception was going on - a big canvas for people to sign/doodle on (we got some fabulously random stuff on it!!), a candy bar, a photo tree and some fun "fill in the blanks" sheets about marriage, which were hilarious to read on our honeymoon! I'd also had fun badges made, which it was brilliant to see our guests wearing! (I keep seeing them around people's houses even now!!) I eventually made it over to the candy bar during the dancing... to find virtually all of it gone! (and we had a LOT!) I do remember seeing people going up during the meal.... so they started early!

I just didn't want the night to end, but eventually, after staying goodbye to our final guests, we made our way back to the castle with our family and friends that were staying there. We stayed up for a bit in the gorgeous lounge at Dundas, eating wedding cake (I don't know how I was still eating!!) and having a drink. Then K and I decided it was time to call it a night, and went off to our little boathouse on the Dundas estate where we were staying (stunning).

It truly was a dream day. Everything ran so smoothly (Dundas were incredible!) and I honestly cannot think of a happier day in my life. Everyone was smiling all day, and when we look back at the photos, we see that more and more.

To all the brides who have weddings coming soon, relax, smile, and soak up every moment. Remember everyone is there because they love you, and you are there because you love your hubby to be. And that is what's important, after all.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Name:	KK_293 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	5980
    Last edited by keb2702; 19-07-2012 at 11:07 AM.

I had goose bumps reading this.....sounds if you had the most amazing day ever. :-). Your pics are gorgeous. Hope you are enjoying married life. Thanks for sharing it's great to read other people's reports xxx

Name:	KK_320.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	5981

ps Thank you to everyone on this forum for helping so much in the lead up to my wedding. It is such a brilliant place to go for advice, ideas and support. It was invaluable. THANK YOU! xxxx