Thread: My wee castle wedding 23/02/13

Default My wee castle wedding 23/02/13

So now I've finally came back down to earth and recovered from my Caribbean sunburn from honeymoon, just thought I would do my report! Got married on 23/02/13 at Glenskirlie Castle after 18 months planning, crazy saving and penny pinching and about 500 spinning classes and honestly, the day couldn't of gone better. Planning the day had been horrendous, with divorced parents and a sister from hell in the mix but on the day there were no probs and thankfully everyone acted like blooming adults! I took the week off work before the wedding, and would def recommend taking some time off if you can - I thought I would have tons of time but after running about collecting stuff, fittings and finalising everything I didn't have much time left. One of my bridesmaids fell ill and collapsed, and the night before the wedding phoned me to tell me she couldn't make it over the night before and was struggling to make the wedding. This did not help the stress levels (!) so I started on the G & Ts with my other bridesmaid!

The big day
    I got ready at mine as the reality was I couldn’t afford a hotel the night before and my mums is very small for everyone who was going to be there. Our venue also had two weddings on the day before so it just wasn’t possible to stay there. So me and my BM got up and had a wee cuppa before my mum arrived bright and early. However, when I opened my front door it was snowing so I had a mild panic about everyone getting to mine and the venue. My sister, who has caused me umpteen problems since I got engaged, got lost on the way to mine (shes never been to visit my new place..) and phoned my mum shouting at her and after 45 minutes, with my rollers in and still in my pyjamas, I headed out tried to find her. Turns out she was in the local hospital grounds…the obvious place to go when your sister lives in a HOUSE!
    Ill bridesmaid managed to make it. I would never tell my best mate she looked terrible…but she looked like death warmed up but I was so happy she was thereand she ended up being one of the last to leave in the evening despite throwing up every hour and needing a lie down after her hair and make up.
    For my hair I had Lesley from Pamper & Polish who I had had two trials with before the wedding. I couldn’t believe how fantastic my hair looked, it was exactly like the photo I had shown her and didn’t budge all day. I also had a hair piece from Corrine Smith Design in Kilmarnock which was stunning and finished my hair off perfectly. For my make up I used Jacquie Bruin fromLooking Good and again, she was fantastic and I loved my make up. I don’t wear a lot of make up so was a bit worried I would look too ‘made up’ but one thing I would say is once you have your dress, veil etc on, it all comes together and looks perfect. I also had on false lashes and nothing budged all day so much so I was upset at having to take it off! I would highly recommend Lesley and Jacquie to anyone, both were so calm and friendly which is exactly what you need.
    My girls had BM dresses from Dessy which were Sailor Blue. I got them from Alter Images in Bridge of Allan who altered them as well.
    My dress was a Sassi Holford dress ‘Ellie’ which I got from Charlotte Grace in Doune. Carol whoworks there is AMAZING and was a welcome break from some of the shops in Glasgow who I tried and who were down right rude! I had a bad fall last year and was in hospital and unable to walk properly for over a month and then had physio so couldn’t exercise so didn’t manage to lose as much weight as I wanted (and actually put some back on due to being banned from exercise and off work) and Carol never once made me feel like a conscious which is what a lot of places did. My dress made to measure and altered by Alter Girls in Glasgow.
    My photographer was George Lammie who was one of the first people we booked after meeting him at the SECC wedding show. My hubby didn’t want a photographer as he thought they were far too expensive but after meeting George he changed his mind. I hate getting my photo taken so the fact George takes more natural shots fitted perfectly. During the photos he was great at getting everyone smiling and laughing despite the snow starting again, and I cant wait to see my photos.
    My flowers were by Cherry Blossom. I had managed to hold it together all morning until they arrived. They were so beautiful, even more than I imagined. I had given Laura a photo and a rough idea of colours and given her free rein to make up the bouquets. After seeing them I felt myself welling up and ended up chewing on my lip to stop myself crying and my eyelashes coming off!
    For cars we used NIL who were great. They turned up well before we were due to leave and the cars looked fab.

Venue - We booked Glenskirlie Castle right after getting engaged and I cant fault them. We looked at so many venues but the minute we saw it (and it was the last one we saw) we booked it. We got married in the castle. We only had 60 day guests and it was a perfect size with tons of room. They took care of everything and the food was fantastic.
    As I arrived the sun came out and I suddenly had an attack of the nerves! We had a Piper from National Piping Services who was outside playing when we arrived which was pretty overwhelming and the blooming tears started again! According to my BM I came into the castle andstarted walking in circles trying to calm myself but I cant remember. We had a Humanist Ceremony which was performed by Mary Wallace. We met Mary before hand and she got to know us, how we met and what we wanted from being married. Nearly every guest we had complemented us on the service – neither of us are religious and it was lovely to have a personal service which was also quite funny. Hubby looked gorgeous in his kilt (Slanj) and after the service it was one big party! We never had favours, we had a big candy buffet set out – ive never seen grown adults act like that over sweets before - Most the photos we have seen have guests shoving drumstick lollies or flying saucers in their mouths! It worked out way cheaper than actual favours, and I also made my own invites, table plan and table names to save money.
    If anyone reading this is looking for advice it would be to do your research on your suppliers, on here and from other brides as I had no issues with any of mine and lets face it, weddings costs a fortune so the last thing anyone needs is unreliable people near them on their wedding day. We went to the SECC wedding show twice and also met some suppliers there, it was good to get an initial impression ofpeople.
    PS – All the wedding cliches are true – all that matters is you and your hubby on the day, it goes so fast you wont get to speak to everyone, you cant control the weather (!) and it is the best day of your life.

Super Senior Platinum Member MissMartin's Avatar

Congratulations to you and your new husband

Let's see some pictures! x

Love this
    PS – All the wedding cliches are true – all that matters is you and your hubby on the day, it goes so fast you wont get to speak to everyone, you cant control the weather (!) and it is the best day of your life.

Congratulations 2 u both xx

(Glad u had no problems with the venue,thats mine also)

Congratulations! I think I remember you saying previously that we had used many of the same suppliers (Lesley, Corrine, Jacquie, George and the girls at Cherry Blossom!)

Looking forward to seeing your photos!

Congratulations! You sound like a very happy lady! X

Super Senior Member Owl proposal's Avatar

Congratulations! It's sounds like a wonderful day
    looking forward to seeing a few pictures

Super Senior Platinum Member

Congratulations, I would love to see some pics x

congratulations sounds like you had an amazing day!

Well I can wait see your photo's. I am getting married there next March so very excited! x

Congrats your day sounds absolutely wonderful xx