Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: My Big Fat WET Scottish Jewish Humanist Wedding - Fingask Castle - 21 April 2012

Super Senior Member

WOW!

I’m new to SWD and not much of a commenter on posts but I had to on this one!

I have totally loved reading your instalments and hope there’s more........?

Super Senior Platinum Member SpecialSundae's Avatar

Thank you so much! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

There's lots more coming, but I'm horrendously slow at writing it!
    Fairy Gokmother

Platinum Member

YAY!!!!! You are such a great writer, it would be a shame for us to miss the last few chapters...

Created by Wedding Favors

Super Senior Member

Hi SpecialSundae,

Any updates? I'm getting withdrawal symptoms! lol

I've been lurking around your report for a few weeks now, SpecialSundae, I thought it was time to come out of the closet and say so! I've really enjoyed it so far, looking forward to reading the rest. The pictures are fantastic, I particularly love your shoes! x

What a fantastic read, I've been hooked all night. You're attention to detail is very inspiring.

I hope your day was the one you always dreamt of, it sounded perfect.

Congratulations! Xx
    Getting married Saturday, 8 February 2014.

I've been so slow in updating! Enormous apologies! Now, where was I?

The Big Day - Part 5 - Ice Cream, Popcorn and Strawberry Bubbly

So the deed was done, we were legally married. Our guests were asked to remain seated whilst G and I walked down the aisle and headed downstairs where we were greeted with a glass of local strawberry sparkling wine.

We slipped away into the library of our venue to let it all soak in (and enjoy a few sips of our wine). I really treasured that private moment and it gave us a chance for a proper snog without the world and its wife watching!

After a few minutes, someone came to get us to head out for photographs... They had to bribe us with ice cream!

We had a lot of group photos that we wanted and there was still the threat of rain so I think we had the fastest group shoot ever. Somehow we got through nineteen groups in twenty two minutes!

My entire wedding party (including parents).

Whilst the "formal" photos were being taken, we all had to ask someone to look after our most prized possessions... Our ice creams. Thankfully Craig managed to get a few shots of the things that my brother and I would do to get our ice creams back safely!

Sadly, the rain started to fall hard and fast after less than 20 minutes, so we had to make a run for it!

I'm SO glad we bought pretty red umbrellas!
    Fairy Gokmother

Whilst we were "enjoying" the "lovely" weather, our guests were feasting themselves on popcorn, ice cream, two varieties of local sparkling fruit wine (Oak and Elder and the aforementioned Strawberry Sparkling), non-alcoholic fizz and a variety of fruit juices and being entertained by our fantastic magician!

We headed back in to chat to our guests. It was such a treat to get to see some of my relatives who hadn't made it up to Scotland for years!

We got about half an hour of circulating before our wedding planner came to start to lead us through for dinner. It felt like time flew but at least no one had time to get bored!
    Fairy Gokmother

I know I'm being slow at writing but should I continue my report?
    Fairy Gokmother

Senior Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialSundae View Post
    yes please xxx
    Getting Married at Lochside House - 15th June 2013

Keep going. Loving it.

Platinum Member

Yes definitely! I just excited when I saw this thread in the new posts section as I want more lol! Xx

Super Senior Member

Yes Please!

Super Senior Platinum Member

Yes please x

Yes please keep going. I just read it from the start again there and I want to hear more. x

Please keep going!! I'm loving it!

We are having the same celebrant as you, how was he? You mentioned there was a rough patch? X

Super Senior Platinum Member MrsSneddonToBe's Avatar

Defo! I thought you were actually done...so glad there's more x
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

The Big Day - Part 6 - Dinner and Speeches

Grant's cousin had brought his pipes and offered to pipe us into the meal so we managed to make quite a dramatic entrance (even if I hadn't really planned to):

I'm going to try to skip through dinner fairly quickly, as it wasn't the most interesting part of the day.

You sit. You eat. You chat with your fellow guests. It's a pleasant lull int he proceedings.

We were quite set on having a menu featuring local, seasonal and organic produce and had chosen our caterers based on that. We'd had a few blips along the way with communication and, as DH's parents were paying, we had to get two rounds of approval before making any changes to the menu.

I'm going to be honest. We wanted something a bit more unusual. We started off planning to have a full Indian banquet served family-style, but our families weren't convinced so in an effort to make sure everyone was happy we agreed to a more mainstream caterer and DH's parents agreed to pay if we did.

Actually, the food went down rather well. Here's what our final menu ended up being:

Starter

Tower of haggis, neeps and tatties with an Edradour single malt whisky sauce
    Potato and leek soup

Main

Roast rib of Perthshire beef with Cairn o'Mohr Elderberry wine jus
    Roast fillet of Scottish salmon with lemon and herb butter sauce
    Stuffed aubergine with roasted tomato sauce and parmesan shavings
    All served with local new potatoes and seasonal vegetables

Dessert

Cranachan mousse with a local raspberry coulis
    Gluten-free chocolate brownie

Wines

Cairn O'Mohr Elderberry wine
    Cairn O'Mohr Spring Oak Leaf wine
    Cairn O'Mohr Sparkling Oak and Elder wine
    Cairn O'Mohr Sparkling Strawberry

I don't have any pictures of the food but it went down well with the guests.
    Fairy Gokmother

We had chosen to only have our wedding party at the top table and to let our parents host their own tables. We also agreed that parents wouldn't be making speeches. It made for a rather relaxed and tipsy top table and only three speeches.

I'm not a great fan of speeches. For me, the best wedding speeches are quickly forgotten and the worst are remembered only for negative reasons.

Grant's speech was blessedly short, if a little nervous.

Our best man's speech was dreadful. It was so bad that when we watched the wedding DVD with him even he couldn't believe it. I mean, I've never heard the best man spend his entire speech sending himself up!

Thankfully, the speeches were over fairly quickly. I do kind of wish I'd been able to skip them to go and watch the kids' magic show!

Fairy Gokmother

Super Senior Member

Great to see an update! Keep it coming.

The Big Day - Part 7 - The Evening Begins

I'm almost always an evening guest at weddings, so I wanted to make sure that there was a new start to the party. We booked a pianist to play and served more of the fabulous local fizz alongside some lovely single malt whiskies.

Whilst people arrived, I snuck off to change into the shorter version of my dress so we could make another big arrival once I was ready.

As we walked back in, my brother launched his surprise on us.

He seranaded us with Cole Porter's "Cheek to Cheek". I knew he was planning something but it was still a lovely surprise.

The surprises weren't done yet. My uncle (who also did all our stationery) had written a rag for us on the occasion of our wedding.

There are amazing moments in every wedding. Moments which you'll remember for the rest of your life. One of those moments was my parents coming together to dance to that rag, even though they barely speak.

It was wonderful to have so many of our friends and family there in the evening. The cake cutting wasn't a big ceremony. I think I'd spent too much time making it to want to do anything other than just eat it.

Fairy Gokmother

Super Senior Platinum Member MissMartin's Avatar

My word Rowan....can't believe how soon it is until your first anniversary.

The Big Day - Part 8 - The First Dance

Our first dance was an early decision. I loved the John Lewis advert with a cover of the Billy Joel song "She's Always a Woman" and I know it's naff to admit it but that was the first thing that brought the song to my attention. It was discussed quite a lot on another bridal forum I frequented and the consensus was that it was inappropriate to use as a first dance because it describes "her" as a total b*tch... but that's kind of me. He loves me because I'm a little bit evil and we're both very b*tchy.

We had agreed to do a waltz to that and started at dance classes a couple of weeks after our engagement, but due to illness only made two terms over two years and never really got to the point where we were proficient. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't the perfect romantic glide across the floor.

Now on our very first date, I played G a song. It wasn't a romantic song. It wasn't a sweet song. It was silly. It was very, very silly.

http://www.jpc.de/mp3/001/0014921050624_19.mp3 (This is the only link I can find to the intro to our favourite version, but it cuts out before the main music.)

We agreed that it wouldn't be us if we didn't dance to it, so we added a six beat swing to the end of the waltz... Unfortunately, we forgot to cut it down so I had almost six minutes of dancing in a corset. Still... it was fun!

So the first dance was over and we could finally relax!

Craig took us away for half an hour to get some more couple shots whilst our guests had a good boogie.

Fairy Gokmother

Quote Originally Posted by MissMartin View Post
    My word Rowan....can't believe how soon it is until your first anniversary.
    I know! This has to be one of the longest wedding reports in history!
    Fairy Gokmother

Super Senior Platinum Member

Rowan, loving the next instalment x