Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: My Big Fat WET Scottish Jewish Humanist Wedding - Fingask Castle - 21 April 2012

Special Sundae, I keep checking back for new posts from you.

Your shoes are wonderful!

Super Senior Platinum Member SpecialSundae's Avatar

Finding a Dressmaker:

As I said above, I’d decided to have my dress made, but I still had to find a dressmaker. As I had such a clear vision, my dressmaker had to be someone I got on well with.

I’d seen a dress that Joyce Paton had made on Offbeat Bride and I thought there was potential there.

Here’s that dress:

Not only did I love her style, but her shop was based right opposite the registry office where my parents got married.

I met with Joyce early in 2011 and I was pretty much convinced she was the one to make my dress, but after our second meeting she went quiet. No word, nothing in writing confirming a timetable for my dress or an approximate price. I had emailed her and she promised that she’d get back to me soon, but still nothing.

I was getting really stressed so I called her in May (three months after I’d last heard anything from her other than promises that she’d get back to me) and she admitted that she didn’t feel that she could commit to doing my dress. She did have good reasons, but I was really hurt that I’d had to chase for months to be told that.

Anyway, so the hunt was back on. This time I didn’t want to put all my eggs in one basket so I met with two different dressmakers, Lorna Tate and Emma Bryant at Emmeline Couture. Honestly, both seemed capable of taking on the task, both were lovely and both quoted me exactly the same price, but I clicked with Emma and, after introducing her to my mum for a second opinion, I confirmed that I’d like her to make my dress.

I’d still highly recommend Lorna too, but Emma was someone I could have fun with as well as anything else. She even came to the wedding and we ended up boogieing down on the night!

If you want to read about the story of my dress, check out this thread:

http://www.scottishweddingdirectory....Dress-Progress

Don’t worry, I’ll get started on the actual day soon!
    Fairy Gokmother

Super Senior Platinum Member

I have been following your posts and I am hooked!!! Just read the story of your dress - what a journey!!!! Can't wait for he next installment x

Love your shoes. You totally transformed them :-) xxx

Love your shoes. They're totally amazing. I don't think I would have the patience! Loving the dress blog too

I NEED MORE!!!!!!!

whens the next update?! Looking forward to it!

Hello Special Sundae, it's been a while, don't keep us in suspense lol! X

The Engagement Party:

Sorry I've been so long between updates!

Gosh! How did I forget to post about this before?

Before we were even officially engaged, we planned to have a bit of a shindig for our engagement. As G had said he was going to propose by New Year, we went ahead and booked a free function room at a very attractive bar in central Edinburgh and let my parents know of the date, so that my dad could fly in.

Honestly, we didn’t provide much. Just a space to move around, an MP3 playlist through the PA system, a DIY photo booth and a big white chocolate mud cake mud cake with some wedding details on it. It was a cracking night and it cost us next to nothing, whilst giving us an opportunity to celebrate with all the people we loved.

Here are a few shots from the photobooth.

Fairy Gokmother

Fairy Gokmother

A Venue Panic and A Saviour:

In September 2011, 7 months before the wedding, someone started posting horrible reviews about our venue and saying how the staff had utterly ruined their day. Reading between the lines, a lot of it seemed not to really be issues that would affect us but there was one piece of advice that rang true: get an on-the-day coordinator.

Fingask is a gorgeous venue but it’s a bit of a DIY place. Renton and his staff will move chairs and polish cutlery, but they’re not superhuman and when you have (as we did) over 20 suppliers involved on the day you need a superhuman being there to pull it all together.

We approached a few wedding planners about on-the-day coordination but after meeting with a few we were both absolutely agreed that Louise MacPherson was our woman.

From six weeks before, when we had our venue meeting, she was fully involved in keeping in touch with all our suppliers and in the final fortnight before the wedding she was in regular contact with us making sure that I knew what was going on and to help remind me of things that I had to do.

More about Louise as I start describing the day itself, but she really was amazing and I would highly recommend her services!
    Fairy Gokmother

A Quirky Veil for a Quirky Bride

I started out convinced that I wanted a silk, lace-edged veil. I knew I didn’t want a plain veil, that’s for certain.

Something like this:

My dress was to have no embellishments beyond the fabric-covered buttons on the bodice, so the jewellery and veil would be statement pieces. I’ve covered the jewellery already so we’re onto the veil.

As my dress wasn’t white or ivory, I knew I didn’t want to have white or ivory lace on my veil, so I searched in vain for the perfect blood red or gold lace and found nothing.

I did like this one, but it wasn't quite right for my dress:

Then I spotted some gorgeous hand-beaded veils on Sarah Morgan’s website but told myself they were totally out of my budget, but then my wonderful aunt who lives in Australia gave me a very impressive contribution to my wedding budget and suddenly a stunning veil didn’t seem too expensive any more.

I ordered my veil with extra length and custom garnet-coloured beading to match my jewellery and my shoes.

I’m not going to say much more, as getting the veil was a bit of a nightmare, but it was beautiful.

Fairy Gokmother

Amazing. can't wait for the next installment x

Advertisers

Wow your veil is stunning. One of my brides had that veil too, and it was SO heavy to lift. I can't imagine how it must have felt on your head! My bride's mother said it was now a family heirloom!

Super Senior Platinum Member MrsSneddonToBe's Avatar

Loving your report so far. Keep it coming! x

Keep it comeing! xx

Super Senior Platinum Member

Love th update when I th next one x

Lovely photos in swd. congrats! x

Loving reading about your wedding Rowan Been looking forward to it, you really are a legend on here lol! Cant wait for more xx

more, more, more!!!

Are you not allowed to update this thread anymore Special Sundae because of the photo's in SWD?
    Wondering what has happened!
    DD

Sorry, just been insanely busy with work and a couple of bits and bobs. I have SO much more to write and I will post it here as soon as I do.
    Fairy Gokmother

The Final Countdown

The invitations were out, the wedding website was up, the RSVPs were in and the final fittings were done, so a week before the wedding I finished up work to focus on the final preparations.

As you may have gathered from my ramblings on here, I had taken on quite a few DIY tasks so I when I sat down to write my to-do list, this is an abbreviated version of what I came up with:

• Bake most of the wedding cake (I had already baked two 12” square fruitcakes for the bottom double tier)
    • Ice, dowel and decorate wedding cake
    • Decant home-made spiced orange liqueur into miniature bottles for adult favours
    • Make up kids’ favour bags
    • Hand-write all the place names
    • Tie place names to favour bottles and bags with tartan ribbon
    • Make home-made fudge for evening favours
    • Make up 180 favour boxes to put the fudge in
    • Pick up my wedding dress
    • Chase down my veil (which didn’t even arrive in the country until a week before the wedding and didn’t arrive with me until the Tuesday of my wedding week)
    • Pick up my dad from an airport 70ish miles away
    • Go and see my aunt who had flown in from Australia just for my wedding
    • Get myself looking wedding perfect
    • Write our wedding vows
    • Keep myself sane!

I didn’t really give myself much time to relax in that week, so I decided that I would book myself into a spa for the afternoon on the Thursday and aim to have pretty much everything done by that point.

Looking back, it was absolute madness to commit to baking such a huge wedding cake by myself (with help from my mum) when I'd never done such a big cake before. I think it worked out okay. It didn't look professionally perfect but it was huge and it was tasty and that's what mattered to me!

To make matters worse, on the Sunday of the week before the wedding I woke up with a painful and itchy rash across my back. I assumed that it was just stress hives and tried antihistamines and oatmeal baths to take it down but nothing worked. On the Thursday morning, I went to see the doctor only to be told that I had shingles and, whilst it was past being infectious, I’d left it too long for anything they could give me to help. So on my wedding day, you could just see the top of the horrible rash across my back.

Never mind!

On the Thursday afternoon, off I trotted to the spa for ultimate relaxation with my bridesmaids before the madness of the day before the wedding began.
    Fairy Gokmother

Platinum Member

So glad to have another installment but my word, I feel panicked just reading your to do list!! I am in awe....

Created by Wedding Favors

The Day Before The Big Day and Rehearsal Dinner

So the day before the big day came. I honestly can’t remember much about that morning other than that I was still icing cakes and trying to get them into their boxes.

I have to confess that I always find the ramblings about the day before (and the week before) a little less than fascinating, so I don’t mind if you don’t read this post or the last one (or any at all).

The day before the wedding turned into a bit of a nightmare. We only just fitted what we needed into the cars (plural) as my dress took up a large proportion of one car and we still had boxes upon boxes of other things to take with us!
    It was only when we got to Fingask that I realised that I’d forgotten my shoes, the place names, my tiara, our toasting flutes and a whole bundle of other things that I really needed. There wasn’t time to go back, though, as I had lots to do and G had to get to the barber.

As a bit of a treat for the boys, we’d arranged for G and his best man to go to Benjamin Barker in Dundee for a hot shave and a hair cut the day before the wedding… Unfortunately, as he was heading down from the castle to his parents, something happened to his car and the sump exploded. Two tow ropes later and a loan of his mother’s car “The Tesco Trolley” he made it to the barber an hour or so late.

Meanwhile, I was having a handover meeting with the lovely Louise. Louise was our day of coordinator and had been sending me reminder notes for things I needed to do (as well as contacting all our suppliers to make final arrangements). In the spirit of multi-tasking which had pervaded the wedding week, I was having my eyelash extensions put on by the lovely Sophie Alexis while running through the meeting!

By the time we’d finished my eyelashes, it was time for the rehearsal but G was nowhere to be found. One of the ushers reported to me that he was “running late” but had no idea when he’d get back to the castle and I knew that the celebrant had to get away sharpish.

We ran through as much as we could without him: the procession, the surprise ukuleles and my mum’s reading… but we still kind of needed the groom there!

Eventually he turned up an hour late and we had a quick run through of the vows (no tears, shockingly) but I think we probably could have had a more productive rehearsal if he’d been there on time!

Anyway, long before the wedding actually came around, we’d decided that we’d have an American style “rehearsal dinner” the night before the wedding and had tasked the best man with booking a restaurant (as he was local). He’d booked a lovely little place which did good local food and we’d tried to let everyone know. A lot of my family came along and all of the wedding party (other than the groom’s parents) were there so it was a really nice informal get together before the real madness of the day. I’ll be honest and admit the thing that I really remember of that meal was the amazing steaks. Not a great idea if you’re on a diet but absolutely delicious!

As you might recall, if you’re actually reading this instalment, we’d forgotten a lot of things at home so G and I ended up making a mad dash back home after the meal to pick everything up. It was actually one of my favourite moments of the whole weekend as it was just the two of us singing along to the radio as loud as we could and having a good laugh. We still forgot the toasting flutes but when he dropped me off at the castle at around 1am I really didn’t care. I know that some say it’s bad luck to the see the groom on the day of the wedding, but I was glad to have that time with him!
    Last edited by SpecialSundae; 02-08-2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Adding photo
    Fairy Gokmother