Thread: Providing evening meals for photographers and paying balance

Default Providing evening meals for photographers and paying balance

Is providing evening meals for photographers, who are with you for your wedding day, the norm? And paying the balance 14 days before? It may be just me but it doesn't feel right paying for a service before having received it.

Super Senior Platinum Member missm2mrsf's Avatar

We are giving bar meals for videographer and photographer. Also. Paying venue 4 weeks before! X

Quote Originally Posted by gingping View Post
    Is providing evening meals for photographers, who are with you for your wedding day, the norm? And paying the balance 14 days before? It may be just me but it doesn't feel right paying for a service before having received it.
    We've already paid a £400 deposit to our photographer, we then pay £1700 two weeks before the wedding and then the final installment of £400 after the wedding when we order our album (and also any other bits we might decide we want at that stage)...
    ~ m xx

6th July 2012

Senior Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gingping View Post
    this is pretty much the norm for all wedding suppliers - paying everything around 14 days before the date, if you're not happy with something on the day then you have to complain and get a refund

xx
    Getting Married at Lochside House - 15th June 2013

Advertisers

Personally I never take a meal as I bring my own sandwiches with me and eat them in the car while reviewing the images I have taken so far. Also saves paying for an additional meal for the couple. I do however take a £200 deposit with the balance due 14 days in advance of the wedding day (that seems to be normal practice) - although I can understand your point about paying for something you haven't already received. This does happen in other walks of life too - for example holidays where you pay up front. I'm quite sure if you have a honeymoon abroad you will have to pay for it in advance too.
    http://www.robinsonphotographic.co.uk

We're paying the final balance after, and as our venue is city centre I'll probably offer to pay for a meal in one of the nice pubs nearby whilst we're eating.

I guess it all depends on a photographer;

Reading your contract carefully is very important ; make sure you have a right to claim a refund if something goes wrong.
    Personally i wouldn't feel right to take a whole balance before providing a service but i don't think there is anything bad in it unless you are hiring an unknown photographer without wedding history and you are risking that he won't turn up on your wedding.

Advertisers

As for the meal it is entirely up to you. Some couples insist on it, others don't offer. Personally i feel that you wedding has cost you enough and we are all big boys and girls that are capable of feeding ourselves. I usually have a word with the hotel and they can sort out a plate of sandwiches or bowl of soup.

Regards the payment, i take a deposit when booking and ask for the balance to be paid before or on the day. This is not uncommon and as long as your photographer is reputable i wouldn't worry.

It is not that unusual to pay for something before you get it.

Advertisers

We have only ever once sat with the guests during the evening meal and even then only because the venue was in too remote a location to be able to go elsewhere.
    Most people do offer it which is lovely of them howvever we always politely thank them but decline their offer.
    It's not being unsociable or anything it's just nice to get the chance to unwind for a bit, check and back up your images from the day and to discuss any ideas you have in mind for pictures later that night.
    We would never insist on having a full meal bought for us as we tend to feel that's taking a bit of a liberty especially as the meal tends to be quite an expensive part of the day.
    On a few occasions the bride and groom have put some money behind the bar to allow us to get a bar meal, (which is nice but if no offer is forthcoming we would probably buy our own, (a soggy tuna sandwich after possibly not having had anything to eat since about 9 o'clock that morning just doesn't quite cut it).

Payment wise we are the same as most other suppliers with a deposit to book the date and the remainder due four weeks before the date of the wedding.

Advertisers

We ask for full settlement within 14 days too, but the contract keeps both parties safe.

As for meals, there is absolutely no obligation - unless your photographer has that in their contract.
    We always take a sandwich, which is always welcome on the usual 11-12 hour days with not much stopping time

We've been invited into the main wedding breakfast a few times, but always decline, it's not our place to be there and we are usually working on the laptop making up a slideshow anyway.

Platinum Member

We haven't been asked to provide meals for our photographer, but I assume we will provide one. Not a full 3 course etc, but from the bar menu. We also have to provide food for all our band members and soft drinks and water for them also.

We provided just the main course, rather than the full meal, and our venue provided him with a wee room to eat and (literally) recharge his batteries and what not.