Thread: Dressmakers?

Question Dressmakers?

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on wedding dressmakers, I would like to get an idea of how much it would be to have my dress made rather than buying it from a shop.

The design it's self is rather simple but I believe it will be the material (lace) that will be costly.

Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can make some enquiries?

Thanks!

Super Senior Platinum Member SpecialSundae's Avatar

Hey,

I've been having my dress made by Emmeline Couture and Emma is absolutely amazing. I'm paying £1500 for a huge silk dupion ballgown with a bodice, a separate steel-boned Victorian corset, crinoline (proper hoop-skirt with about 15 hoops), three different skirts (ballgown with train, 1950s circle skirt with petticoats and slinky pencil skirt) plus quite a few little bits and bobs.

For what I'm getting, the price is incredibly reasonable and you can check out my progress on a thread in the Fashion forum.

www.emmelinecouture.com

Good luck!
    Fairy Gokmother

Super Senior Platinum Member FutureMrsAdie's Avatar

I'm using Maggie McAllister for my bridesmaid dresses. My mum is having her outfit made by her too. I was cheaper getting my dresses made than buying them from a bridal store. You won't need to pay for alterations either. Not sure how much she charges for a wedding dress but she's really helpful and will work to a budget if you have one. A lovely lady, I'd really recommend her.

www.maggiemcallister.co.uk

Hi,

I'm using Emmeline Couture, too. Emma has quoted me £500 for my dress, which I think is amazing, given the design I want!

Advertisers Gioia Mia and Pleyel Quartet's Avatar

I can wholeheartedly recommend Wendy, from Flossy and Dossy:

http://www.flossyanddossy.co.uk/

I've worked with Wendy a number of times and seen lots of her work...she is fantastic!

I found Maggie Mcallister online & am considering talking to her about my dress too but also Nota Bene in East Calder but don't know anyone who has used either & am worried Incase I make the wrong choice as my dress is quite complex!

Super Senior Platinum Member FutureMrsAdie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DivineMissG View Post
    I found Maggie Mcallister online & am considering talking to her about my dress too but also Nota Bene in East Calder but don't know anyone who has used either & am worried Incase I make the wrong choice as my dress is quite complex!
    Maggie is making my bridesmaid dresses and my mum's outfit. My wedding is in 7 weeks so the girls will be due to go for their first fitting soon. So far Maggie has been great. She very professional and friendly. Can't wait to see her creations!

Super Senior Platinum Member

My friend used her for Bm dresses and my god daughters first communion dresses and they were all gorgeous x