Thread: NWR: Feel like I could cry!!

Default NWR: Feel like I could cry!!

Hi,
    We've had our flat up for sale since June last year. My mum left me money when she passed away so we've been wanting to move and get a really good house...but the market is so rubbish at the moment that we've hardly had any viewers.

Today we had one and as much as I wasn't getting my hopes up, I've now found out they didn't like the look of it outside so just didn't bother coming in.

Just feel a bit hopeless like we're never going to move.

Stay positive!

It took us a year to sell of house and my hopes were up and down like a yo-yo with each set of viewers. It's really crap when viewers simply turn up, look at the outside and go away. If that was me I would still go and look inside. It does happen though so be prepared that it may happen again. The right buyer will come along when you least expect it.

We had our flat on the market for 18 months before it sold. It did email eventually sell, and there were periods of time where we had no viewers for ages. We wanted to sell to buy a house, but at the same time, there was nothing wrong with our flat and i was happy in it until we sold, so that made the process a but easier when the sale dragged on, bit I did get my hopes up every time we had a viewer, it's a natural reaction. We ended up getting a good price for our flat, at least your not in a position where you need to sell, so that's in your favor too.

It will happen eventually. Also, as they were put off before they got in, is there any reason for that? Could you maybe enhance your 'kerb appeal'

I worked in an estate agent's for 10 years and I can sympathise, some viewers need a lesson in common courtesy. You go to all the trouble of getting ready for viewers and then they don't show or they tell you that they are really looking for something in another area or with a larger garden / loft conversion possibilities etc. Sometimes you really want to scream - or shoot them!!! Just stay positive. Try to de-clutter and keep decor neutral & house tidy, but serious viewers will appreciate that you live there so you do have possessions and have to cook, wash, do laundry etc. If you are with an agent, are they doing enough for you? Make them work for their commission! Good luck! xx

I can totally sympathise with you, we have had our flat on teh market for 2 years now with only 3 viewers in that time! two of them being in the last month! We put teh flat up because we want a house as well and wanted to start a family, it is only a 1 bed, although very large but still. Now 2 years later we are still there and have a 6 month old baby! I got so frustrated by it all and really let it get to me but now I dont actually have the strength, energy or time to deal with the selling etc. I have passed all the stress of it on to OH. He can deal with it. I have enough with the baby, working full time and trying to plan a wedding.

I would also be really frustrated if someone refused to even enter the flat. The first viewing we had last month came back for a second viewing, really building our hopes up! To then say she didnt like the look out the hall window! It looks out on to a flat roof of teh neighbouring building! Seriously!! The view hadnt chanegd from the last time she was there lol. And the second one said she didnt like teh entrance and steps up to the front door. It is when they pick on things that you can't change, what are you ment to do!!

I keep telling myself someone will walk through the door and love teh place as much as we did when we bought it! and one day that person wil walk through the door lol.

x x x x

Thanks ladies - your comments have made me feel a bit better

On the subject of estate agents - what should they be doing for you? I feel like ours hasn't really done much?? I mean, all they seem to do is put it in their magazine and they put it on rightmove. We've lowered the price - but that's it??

If you already have a deposit for a new place, can you keep the house your trying to sell and rent it out?, then you can keep it for longer and sell it when the market is a lot better?
    07-06-2012

I'd be wanting to know if they have done a mailing campaign to people on their lists who are looking for your type of property.

Have you thought about changing estate agent? Fresh enthusiasm might be what you guys/the house need! L x

Quote Originally Posted by Lovelygirl85 View Post
    Thanks ladies - your comments have made me feel a bit better

On the subject of estate agents - what should they be doing for you? I feel like ours hasn't really done much?? I mean, all they seem to do is put it in their magazine and they put it on rightmove. We've lowered the price - but that's it??
    In my opinion an estate agent should be honest with you - is the price right? are the photos true? (we all know that a wide angle lens is great at making a room look big but a viewer can be disappointed if the house is not like the photos) do you have a floor plan? some websites now do 360 degree tours of the property which can be a real help. People want to visualize what's where. What information is added about the area? Sometimes agents expect everyone to know the locality but it is handy to tell people about proximity of schools, transport links, amenities etc.

An agent should have a list of people actively looking to buy property so they should be able to market the property immediately to these people, not wait for folk to come in through the door. Both post and email marketing, even text.

Back to photos - if your photos are "timed" ie show Xmas decorations or snow - or even a paddling pool - people will think it has been on the market for ages so will expect you to lower your price. Update your photos, even your initial paragraph so it doesn't become stale. If you've redecorated since it has been on the market make sure the agent knows and adds this in, for example.

What are you including in the sale? Make sure any extras are flagged up, ie white goods.

Ideally you should read your schedule and think, that's a nice house, I'd like to live there - if the agent hasn't done that go back to them.

It is really hard to understand why some properties sell and others do not, so don't make enemies with your agent if they are trying their best, but if you don't feel they are tell them and ask them what else they can do.

Good luck xx

Hi!
    Well we decided to switch estate agents which I'm really pleased about. Decided to go with a different agency who don't take a fee upfront so their main incentive is to actually sell our house!! Feeling a lot more positive now!

That's good news, hope you feel the new agent is enthusiastic about your house and really tries their best to sell it for you. Good luck xx