Thread: Off to a good start with planning but....

Default Off to a good start with planning but....

Hi ladies! So thus far I have booked my venue, booked my caterers and booked my band but I seem to be stuck with what is the most important part....the ceremony

My venue is Pollokshields Burgh Hall in Maxwell Park and we will also be getting married in there but have no idea what we want i.e Civil Ceremony or Humanist Ceremony mainly because we dont have a clue about either of them (and ive been on the websites to try do some research). Is there alot more to say in a Humanist Ceremony? My H2B is already nervous about the ceremony and don't know if there is maybe alot more for him to say at a Humanist Ceremony. I really like the idea of a Humanist but just not sure whether to just go with a Civil if it is maybe the simpler option.

Can anyone help? x

Super Senior Platinum Member missm2mrsf's Avatar

tere isnt any more for yous to say, but humanist probs says more. our humanist gave us choices of repeating our vows or just saying i do to them all x

We are having a humanist ceremony for our wedding next year. I liked the idea of it as we can make it more personal and we can have as much or little input to the service as we wanted. I wasn't keen on the civil as I know it can often be over so quickly. we're hoping to make ours about 30mins long with some family readings and some singing...my family love to sing. but it is very up to you how the service happens. If i was you I would go speak to a celebrant, the few I have met have been lovely and are veyr happy to answer any questions you or your H2B might have xx

We're having a civil ceremony. You can have as much or as little input as you like, you can write yourown vows if you like, having reading etc as last long as there is no religious content. Our ceremony will probably last about 30mins

Hi, I'm a Celebrant, and I find that people are often nervous about the ceremony - sometimes worried about being the centre of attention and everybody looking at them, sometimes worried in case they say the wrong things, or their voice goes funny, sometimes worried about getting too emotional. One of the nice things about using a celebrant is that you will meet them beforehand and discuss your wedding with them, and they should be able to put you at your ease, and make you feel less worried. And then on your wedding day, your celebrant should be a friendly (and calming) face

Celebrants (humanists and other authorised celebrants) have trained to create a personal ceremony for you. You can say as much or as little as you like, your ceremony can be serious or lighthearted. I have held ceremonies that last less than 7 minutes (because the couple really wanted it to be short), and I have held ceremonies that last for 45 minutes. Most celebrants will have examples of the structure of a 'typical' ceremony that they can give you, and lots of examples of vows / words for the ring exchange that you can choose from (assuming that you don't want to write your own).

As others have said, you should call up a few celebrants, or go with your H2B to meet them, that might help to make your mind up.

Good luck,
    Jane
    www.yourserviceinscotland.co.uk

Super Senior Platinum Member FutureMrsAdie's Avatar

I found that a few of the civil weddings I've been to have been quite inpersonal and very "legal". We opted for a humanist ceremony. I'm so excited about it. We don't have to say anymore than in a civil, the celebrant will do all of the talking. I loved the fact that it was so personal.

Both myself and h2b have to write the story of how we met, our lives so far and the engagement story and send them secretly to the celebrant. She will then piece both of our stories together. My dad is traditionally walking me down the aisle but we wanted to include our mums in the ceremony to. They will step forward and give their blessing saying something like "I entrust you with my son/daughter". We're also doing handfasting, where the term "tying the knot" comes from.

There's loads more guestures to choose from or you can have none if that's what you want. You can pick your own vows and either say them or have the celebrant say them and you just say "I do".

I'm so excited about our ceremony. I've never experienced a wedding ceremony like ours and I love that it's so unique to us.

Thanks for all your replies ladies, I think I will probably go with a Humanist Ceremony as I like the idea that we can personalise it and have the freedom to say as much or as little as we like. Next thing on the agenda...finding a celebrant. I am not getting married till Sept 2013 so don't know whether I should start looking now or wait a little while?

Super Senior Platinum Member FutureMrsAdie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xmairix View Post
    Thanks for all your replies ladies, I think I will probably go with a Humanist Ceremony as I like the idea that we can personalise it and have the freedom to say as much or as little as we like. Next thing on the agenda...finding a celebrant. I am not getting married till Sept 2013 so don't know whether I should start looking now or wait a little while?
    I would advise looking for one ASAP. Our celebrant told us that she is being booked up very quickly due to the growth in popularity.

I've posted the link to the website below. You can search for a celebrant near you and read a bit about them on their profile. www.humanism-scotland.org.uk

I'm also getting married in PBH...next Saturday! We are having a humanist service and I can't wait. The lady we chose is called Pat Heppell. We met with her last year and she asked all about us. After that she sent us an individual email with a few questions and asked us not to share the answers with each other. The Qs were like; what do you love about...how did you meet...

We got a copy of the service last week and I was crying at my desk when I read it...the nice thing is, she left blanks where each of us say our bits so even we won't find out until the day...we also have readings from friends and family too.

I would defo book now!

Quote Originally Posted by chelseafish View Post
    I'm also getting married in PBH...next Saturday! We are having a humanist service and I can't wait. The lady we chose is called Pat Heppell. We met with her last year and she asked all about us. After that she sent us an individual email with a few questions and asked us not to share the answers with each other. The Qs were like; what do you love about...how did you meet...

We got a copy of the service last week and I was crying at my desk when I read it...the nice thing is, she left blanks where each of us say our bits so even we won't find out until the day...we also have readings from friends and family too.

I would defo book now!
    Aww lucky you, you'll need to let me know how your wedding goes Who are your caterers? Also, what music are you having going up the aisle? Im stuck as I dont know if having a piper is too much for PBH! I'll have a look at Pat Heppell, always nice to have recommendadtions from people who have had pleasant experiences

Quote Originally Posted by xmairix View Post
    Aww lucky you, you'll need to let me know how your wedding goes Who are your caterers? Also, what music are you having going up the aisle? Im stuck as I dont know if having a piper is too much for PBH! I'll have a look at Pat Heppell, always nice to have recommendadtions from people who have had pleasant experiences

We cancelled our original caterers and have now booked with Thomson Caterers. They have been amazing so far and have really accommodate our every whim! The music debate is still ongoing - it's such a difficult thing! We're not having a piper (my fella is Irish and hates the bag pipes!) but we've paid for out DJ to be there all day. I think I'm walking down the aisle to an instrumental version of hoppipolla.

Will let you know how it all pans out!