Thread: Lorraine Garvie at the Green Hotel Golf & Leisure Resort

Default Lorraine Garvie at the Green Hotel Golf & Leisure Resort

Morning all!

What a beautiful weekend eh? We've all got a spring in our step at SWD HQ after a dose of sunshine. If you were getting married at the weekend then you definitely got a day to remember – sunshine in March in Scotland... crazy!!

For those you haven't yet decided on their wedding venue then you're in good hands this week as we have Lorraine Garvie at the Green Hotel Golf & Leisure Resort in Kinross here to share her ideas and advice all week.

So ask away!

Michelle@SWD

Advertisers

Default Hello

Hi to everyone reading this forum. If you need any help at all please feel free to post on here and I will be happy to reply as quickly as possible. Lorraine Garvie.

Hi Lorraine

We're in the process of choosing our venue, been to see quite a few and still haven't made a decision!

The main thing for us is to have a very relaxed, informal wedding and not follow the traditional path of having photos at a certain time, the line-up, cutting the cake, speeches etc - but we're finding that although the venues we've seen sound happy to let us "do our own thing" they always seem to try and talk us round to a more structured type of day.

In your experience Lorraine, is it better for us to compromise a little and have a bit more structure to the day or should we really stick to our guns and have the kind of day we both want?

I totally understand that the venue has to know when we're eating, for example, but other than food being served at a certain time, we really don't want the day to be dictated to us.

Are we being unrealistic?

Thanks!
    mrsboogie x

Hi Lorraine,

I am looking for some advice please. We are still at the stage of looking for a venue and playing with ideas for a theme, at the moment we would really like a winter themed wedding with snowflakes, christmas trees, cinnamon scented candles, that kind of thing. Is the hotel flexible with regards to how we might be allowed to style it? And would you have any suggestions for decor? We would really love to use mood lighting as well to create a warm cosy atmosphere during the meal. Have you had any experience with couples using mood lighting before? Also I saw from your website that you can set the room up in different layouts can you explain what options there may be there?

Look forward to your response.

Thank you,

almostmarried

Advertisers

HI Mrs Boogie
    I am sorry that I have not replied sooner. My first experience of being on a forum and it would appear that I have been looking at the wrong thing!

Regarding your own Wedding, how you wish to run the day is entirely up to you and you do not have to be dictated to by the Venue in terms of how that happens. Some venues, particularly if they have a dedicated Weddnig Co-ordinator may feel that they need to give you guidance in case you are disappointed in the end that you did not follow the 'traditional' route, however please do not feel pressurised into compromising.

In terms of details that a venue need to know, they want to know: How may people are attending, what time do you wish to eat at, what do you want to eat, what drinks you are providing and if you are having any entertainment. Anything else is secondary to this. In other words, treat it like a 'family party' or 'special occassion' where there would not be any of the pomp and ceremony of a Wedding.

I have organised and attended weddings that have taken a traditional route and a more relaxed route where we have had the ceremony or service and then gone for a meal. In no way does it take away from the importance of the day choosing the latter option.

I hope this helps.

Lorraine

Advertisers

Hi Almost married

Thank you for the message.

Winter Weddings are lovely and give you lots of scope to dress up a room. Normally venues, including ourselves, can arrange that for you or if you have quite an aritistic flair (or friends to help) you can arrange yourself. One thing to bear in mind if you go down the route of arranging yourself is how much time you wish to spend the day before and/or the morning of your wedding setting up a room versus relaxing and enjoying your time!

Normally we would bring in an outside company to arrange room decor as they have a selection of props, table decor, lighting, drapes etc that can be used. Our recommended suppliers are Sashes for chair covers and bows and 1st for Balloons. They are not restricted to balloon decoration only however and also arrange table arrangements, free standing arrangements, christmas tree decoration and so it goes on.

I have arranged a number of events over the years that have completely transformed a room. From a Winter Wonderland, to a Beach theme involving sand in the Function room - I do not recommend this! Most Venues will be entirely flexible with what you want to arrange, within limits: Eg if you choose a venue that is a listed building, they may have restrictions with how you can attach things to walls, you may have to be careful with anything going on the ceiling that covers smoke detectors. Venues will be able to assist you with this type of guideline.

Things I have seen with a Winter Wonderland theme: Hurricane vases (tall slim) on the tables with silver spray painted twigs, On this were silver bobbles and snow flakes. Large snow flakes hanging from the ceiling, Large floral displays on pedestals, Rooms entirely draped with material to change the room into a snow palace. Lighting does make a large difference to the venue. Some may have their own pin spots / spotlights that you can use. You may need to request different coloured bulbs, which can be done. Otherwise I would recommend a lighting company such as Sound & Vision to do this for you.

Much about theming comes down to budget. It is a good place to start and then you can see what can fit into this. Unlimited budgets can involve one client for example asking the Assembly Rooms in Edinburgh if they could repaint one of the rooms. More limited budgets do not mean that a theme will be ineffective. It just require some imagination - eg the Twigs in vase is lovely and very cheap!

I hope this helps

Lorraine