Thread: Telling boyfriend that you dont like the engagement ring?

Default engagement ring?

Hey,

My boyfriend proposed to me last week and I was in complete shock. I was over the moon that he asked me and of course said yes as we knew we were meant to be.

x
    Last edited by pickletoots; 04-03-2013 at 08:29 PM.

I have a gorgeous ring which H2B picked himself (although I gave him a million pointers) and although it is exactly what I'd have picked anyway and wouldn't have it any other way, but I swear that the first few days I doubted that I did like it. I think it just takes a bit of getting used to - maybe try and explain that to him? Shock/surprise can do funny things to you! To begin with I doubted my ring was even real and thought he'd got a temporary one!

My boyfriend was looking at TAG watches and dreaming. Whilst I looked at rings dreaming when I found my ring totally by mistake and I love it the minute I seen it and showed it to my boyfriend now my h2b.

We did look at another rings in Edinburgh but my heart was set on the one I seen.
    So we decide it was the one and he bought without me being there.

I would return the ring as you have it for a very long time (hopefully). What does everyone else say about the ring like your mum. It is hard to say you don't like it but you need to be honest with him. And can he return it that another question you need to ask him.

Hope this help
    Claire

Super Senior Platinum Member SpecialSundae's Avatar

It's not such a common thing here for girls to talk about, but you see it a lot on American forums. It's really hard for guys to choose a ring for you to wear and love forever (which is why a lot of guys ask for their girlfriend's help).

Just explain that you now love it and that you're sorry.
    Fairy Gokmother

Stockton-on-Tees for work and Glasgow is where my Fiance is

My future hubby picked my ring all by his self and it is the reason I love it so much even if it is the wrong metal from what I would have chosen, being a scientist I know the benefits of palladium over platinum and white gold but hey ho.

I think if you just explain to him that it's not exactly what you had expected but you love it now i'm sure he wouldn't be hurt x
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

I had the same reaction. I didn't love my ring but I lied and said it was lovely. Would never have picked it myself but after showing it to people have fallen it love with it. Just explain that u were just shocked and it wasn't what u were expecting. When u show it off, he'll see by ur face and actions that u like it.

Hello
    I don't think you should worry, it's such an important thing that you will be wearing forever!

We all have these moments when we say something and in hindsight it came out the wrong way, the shock of the moment will have contributed to it I'm sure?!

My situation isn't exactly the same but I have changed my original engagement ring. My h2b couldn't de decide what 1 to get me so we ended up designing it together and getting it made by a local jeweller. After a year I decided that it wasn't right, the original ring was a shaped ring and I felt it wasn't showing the diamond off enough. So we went back and redesigned it, and now I am 100% happy with it! It now shows off the diamond an will sit perfeclt with my band. My h2b just wanted me to be happy and did not mind that I got it changed, it's the same diamond and the metal was melted down to create the new ring!

Did you have an exact ring you always wanted?

I'm sure you can make it up to him! If you can't tell him, why don't you put it in a letter?

Xx

I've never been a ring wearer and never really had an opinion on a ring, so it was really hard for H2B to pick my ring, and when he did propose I was in shock and said " you bought me a ring???!!" To me it was just a ring, but after a while like yourself, I love my ring and would not choose another ring. I now look at rings and think yeh my one is much nicer than that!

If you really do love the ring, then reassure him and just be honest that if you were to pick one you maybe wouldn't have went for that one first, but would be there at the top. Especially if you have always had an image of what you wanted your ring to look like. If you really want to change it, then change it, like the other girls say it is yours for life. But if you want to keep it then let him know why, I love my ring, because of what it represents and the thought that has gone into it. Just think how hard it must have been for him to choose it.

You will always get to pick your wedding ring though!! Don't let it ruin your planning!

That is so tough. I think you should speak to him and say that you love the ring now and apologise for the initial reaction you had.

I had my Gran's engagement ring so I knew what I would be getting - I think that was the best option for me as I have a very expressive face and he's have known if I hadn't like the ring he chose!!

My H2b picked my ring all by himself, which I love. Although I used to work in a jewellers for 5 years so I always knew what I wanted for an engagement ring, a three stoned princess cut diamond ring in white gold. When my better half proposed completely out of the blue, he presented me with a beautiful marquise cut single stoned ring, I could not be any happier although I would never have picked it myself I could not see me having any other ring. I love that he put thought into it and picked it by himself, and I am one happy B2B x