Thread: Giving a cheque as a gift

Question Giving a cheque as a gift

Hi folks

I'm planning on giving my friend a cheque soon for her wedding but I was wondering what name(s) do I write on the cheque.

Would I put Mr & Mrs Married Name? She will be taking his name but I'm unsure whether they have a joint account etc.

Anyone got any suggestions? I'm assuming it's a common thing.

We just got cheques made out to one name (i.e. husband only, me only) which was handy for us as we don't have a joint account. You'd need to check that the bride was changing her name aswell.

Stockton-on-Tees for work and Glasgow is where my Fiance is

I would make it out to the groom or the bride in her current name. Chances are they will take a while before changing their name (if they even do!) so would give them a chance to cash the cheque.

I know for me we intend to go away on honeymoon pretty much straight away so it will be about a month before I get around to changing my bank account. As we are asking for money for honeymoon spends we will probably deposit cheques into our account just before we leave x
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

We got our first present yesterday!! It was a cheque from his great uncle and it had my name only on it, guess he knows who wears the trousers!
    If we do get 'mr and mrs' cheques I've asked his parents if they could cash them if need be.

We had this problem. Some were written to Miss F and Mr B and some to Mr and Mrs B. We didn't have a joint account cause he moved in with me and gives me cash for the bills so neither RBOS or BoS would take either set of cheques as they were to joint names and each account was a single one. Got a joint account in married name then the Miss F and Mr B ones were a pain in the backside. Advice to people giving cheques? Address to the groom, problem solved!!

xx

We've had a few cheques as presents already, people are making the cheques out to myself as my name is at the moment. I opened another account to keep it all seperate.

Can you not leave this section blank and let them fill it in? x

Super Senior Member

Can you make it out to Cash instead. That way either one can sign the check and deposit it?