Thread: Ideas for a Civil Ceremony - music? Readings?

Default Ideas for a Civil Ceremony - music? Readings?

My fiance and I have now booked our venue and contacted the registrar the day after (which is costing £280 incidentally - I thought this was rather pricey). Anyway, we have opted for a Civil Ceremony. I'm now starting to have sleepless nights, although the wedding is over a year away, thinking about things like how do we play music that I'm going to walk down the ailse to? Is it acceptable to provide an ipod or similar and the venue sorts this out for us? Also, we are not too sure what to expect in terms of how long the ceremony will be. Unlike religious ones which are padded out with hymns and such like, is it really just a case of a quick introduction of us, how we met etc, straight to the vows, then boom - married! Now to the photos and reception? I know we could perhaps include a couple of readings, but other than that I'm just a bit concerned the ceremony is going to be over all too soon. Any suggestions?

Sorry for being ultra naive about all this!!

Im getting married in 7 weeks and am having a civil ceremony. I've been told it will last 20 - 30 minutes which is perfect. I'm being piped in (song - tbc!) and we'll have 2 readings (non religious), with the vows and legal stuff in the middle. We'll be piped out at the end also. I think a civil ceremony can be as personal as you want (just no religious content in any songs or readings). We received a pack on civil ceremonies from our registrar with some suggestions for vows, readings etc, and it also gave the general order of how a civil ceremony takes place, so might be worth checking with yours if they can provide this?

Most venues nowadays have the facility to play any music from an ipod etc so just check with your venue
    Last edited by ***kirsty***; 08-03-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: adding more info

We are also having a civil ceremony (15 weeks tomorrow) ours cost the same as you. I am having a couple of readings, i have picked 1 but am struggling to find another. Not too sure about the music as I would like to walk down the ailse to music - I will need to contact the hotel and see if they can help with that. Try not to worry too much - it's scary I know but things will come together in the end! x

Super Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dawny McP View Post
    My fiance and I have now booked our venue and contacted the registrar the day after (which is costing £280 incidentally - I thought this was rather pricey). Anyway, we have opted for a Civil Ceremony. I'm now starting to have sleepless nights, although the wedding is over a year away, thinking about things like how do we play music that I'm going to walk down the ailse to? Is it acceptable to provide an ipod or similar and the venue sorts this out for us? Also, we are not too sure what to expect in terms of how long the ceremony will be. Unlike religious ones which are padded out with hymns and such like, is it really just a case of a quick introduction of us, how we met etc, straight to the vows, then boom - married! Now to the photos and reception? I know we could perhaps include a couple of readings, but other than that I'm just a bit concerned the ceremony is going to be over all too soon. Any suggestions?

Sorry for being ultra naive about all this!!
    I'm glad you asked. I haven't a clue either. We're going to visit our registar office when I come over to get some information and give them copies of my papers so they're on file ahead of time. Thank god for the girls here though. They all have good info.

Super Senior Member

I just got married on saturday it was a civil ceremony. I walked down the aisle to the celtic bagpipe version of gift to a princess which you will find on you tube. We used a cd player and I just had to time it all out with my wee cousin beforehand. I was piped into the building. I then sent bridesmaids in 1st 10 seconds apart so people had time to look at and take photos of them. And then I came in. The music had 2 piping bits in it which we had to listen careful for as that's when we walked in. The ceremony didn't even last 10 mins, we said our vows got photos and that was it. No readings, nothing about us. Again my wee cousin put a cd back on for us going up the aisle leona lewis a moment like this which we had edited to start at the chorus.
    Most people commented on how quick it was and couldn't belive that's was all it took to marry us. Everyone actually preferred it and said how although not going into any detail how personal it was and how it was just about us being married nothing elsw. No god or hymns etc even religous people agreed!

Thanks so much for all your tips guys!! It's just a bit daunting to know what to expect. I've always just thought things would happen automatically without actually thinking of the logistics of it all. But plenty of time and I'm definitely taking your comments on board. Thanks x x

Advertisers

Civil ceremonies can be beautiful, personal, and not "over-in-a-flash"! Having packed up my portable piano and played at hundreds of civil ceremonies, I've seen brides personalise their ceremonies with poetry, non-religious readings, singers singing their favourite songs, instrumentalists playing music that is special to them, sometimes speeches incorporated into the ceremony...you name it! Timing CDs can be a bit tricky though. Of course I would say this, but live musicians have the flexibility to lengthen or shorten music so that it finishes just at the right time as you reach the top of the aisle.
    Best wishes with planning your ceremony!

Jonas

www.cedervallmusic.co.uk
    Jonas Cedervall - Pianist / Organist
    www.cedervallmusic.co.uk

We are having a civil ceremony too which I think is £325. The registrar gave us a booklet with lots of poems and readings in it. If anyone is interested I could post some up or photocopy and send out?

Louise

Quote Originally Posted by louiseb40 View Post
    We are having a civil ceremony too which I think is £325. The registrar gave us a booklet with lots of poems and readings in it. If anyone is interested I could post some up or photocopy and send out?

Louise
    HI Louise,

Fantastic, that would be great if you could share them. We haven't received anything from our registrar yet which I'm a bit concerned about. Don't know where to start!! Thanks!! x x

Super Senior Platinum Member missm2mrsf's Avatar

all civil ceremonies i have been to have been relatively quick and havent mentioned anything personal. but at same time have been lovely with wee poems etc. x

Edinburgh, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Dawny McP View Post
    HI Louise,

Fantastic, that would be great if you could share them. We haven't received anything from our registrar yet which I'm a bit concerned about. Don't know where to start!! Thanks!! x x

Yes please Louise xxx

Hi

Could you send to me please as well. Does anyone have any websites for readings that they have seen?

Thanks

Could you also send me too Louise please would be great 27 weeks to go and stressing about what happens at ceremony.

Will type some up and post tonight x