Thread: Brazilian Blow Dry...

Default Brazilian Blow Dry...

Has anyone had one of these or heard anything about them? Deal on groupon for 59, saving of 126... I have really thick unruly hair which is prone to frizz, I usually wear it pulled back at work and if straightening it at weekends takes me ages to get sleek, so always been tempted to try this...

Super Senior Platinum Member FutureMrsAdie's Avatar

A girl from my work has really curly perm like hair. She had a brazilian blowdry and I was amazed by the result. Her hair was poker straight and really glossy looking.

My MIL2B swears by this she has extremely curly (almost afro like) hair and can blow dry it straight herself after getting this done. She gets it every 4-5 months and loves it.

Laineybug

Paul and Elaine's Wedding Website

I think they sound a bit dodgy for your health regardless of how good it makes your hair look- they contain Formaldehyde :-/

Super Senior Member Laurabelle84's Avatar

A girl I work with has had it done a few times & she loves it, can see the difference when she's had it done x

Super Senior Platinum Member FutureMrsAdie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by michellel View Post
    I think they sound a bit dodgy for your health regardless of how good it makes your hair look- they contain Formaldehyde :-/
    OMG! I think if I smelt Formaldehyde again I would get terrible flashbacks of the anatomy class at Uni! Haha!

Here's a bit of light reading on the subject!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...g-effects.html

http://www.nickyclarke.com/pdf/Brazi...cky-Clarke.pdf

Says here they dont use strong chemicals, but Keratin to open the hair? Im still tempted... Is that really bad? Wouldnt be doing as much damage using my hair straighteners so thats good? x

Super Senior Platinum Member SpecialSundae's Avatar

That doesn't hugely surprise me but it's ruddy scary! I won't be letting any of that touch my hair!
    Fairy Gokmother

Quote Originally Posted by MrsE View Post
    http://www.nickyclarke.com/pdf/Brazi...cky-Clarke.pdf

Says here they dont use strong chemicals, but Keratin to open the hair? Im still tempted... Is that really bad? Wouldnt be doing as much damage using my hair straighteners so thats good? x
    I amn't at all surprised about the reports above and if you are considering it at all I would seriously ask the salon in question for a copy of ALL of the ingredients in the treatment (and then research them properly before using it!)... I'm really not convinced that it is only keratin that they use to 'open up' the hair, it is a MASSIVE protein molecule! From the limited reading that I've done they treat the hair with keratin first to help repair any damage and THEN they add a straightening agent before using exceptionally hot straighteners on your hair (7+ times per strand)...

Keratin is a basic protein presented in our hair, skin and nails. Since the salon treatment is often called Keratin straightening treatment, consumers assume that keratin is related to straight hair, but this is not correct.

When Keratin Treatment for Hair is performed, a salon professional applies solution that instantly infuses the hair with keratin, repairing all damage and flaws within the hair. Keratin increases shine and reduces frizz, but does not directly straighten the hair itself as many people believe. After the application, the cocktail of various chemicals is added to your hair, and that creates the straightened effect by semi-permanently altering the hair’s structure.

In some keratin solutions the main component is Formaldehyde. This is a very dangerous chemical responsible for all the controversy regarding keratin treatments. Some experts claim that exposure to formaldehyde increases risk of cancer. In some salons, customers and hairstylists are required to wear filtered-air masks during the process.
    ~ m xx

6th July 2012

Super Senior Platinum Member SpecialSundae's Avatar

I would be interested to see some reliable research on the subject.
    Fairy Gokmother

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialSundae View Post
    I would be interested to see some reliable research on the subject.
    Ditto! There might be an advanced higher chemistry/bio project in this somewhere!! I'll add it to my list for next years kids...
    ~ m xx

6th July 2012

Oh where do i start?? Im a hairdresser and have used various keratin treatments over the years when people hear theres formaldahyde in a product it gets bad reaction, each one of us is subjected to some form of formaldahyde everyday of our lives, its in our face creams, toothpaste, cleaning products, cleansers etc and the main one cigarettes hence why a number of smokers eventually get cancer, however some keratin treatments contains aldehyde not formaldahyde, for a hairdresser to get insurance on using these products the treatment cant contain any more than 2% formaldahyde, if it was as bad as people think i wouldnt be offering as a service to my clients subjecting them and myself everytime i do one, ps the treatment is fantastic by far the best product ive ever used!

Quote Originally Posted by frizzfreehair View Post
    Oh where do i start?? Im a hairdresser and have used various keratin treatments over the years when people hear theres formaldahyde in a product it gets bad reaction, each one of us is subjected to some form of formaldahyde everyday of our lives, its in our face creams, toothpaste, cleaning products, cleansers etc and the main one cigarettes hence why a number of smokers eventually get cancer, however some keratin treatments contains aldehyde not formaldahyde, for a hairdresser to get insurance on using these products the treatment cant contain any more than 2% formaldahyde, if it was as bad as people think i wouldnt be offering as a service to my clients subjecting them and myself everytime i do one, ps the treatment is fantastic by far the best product ive ever used!
    As a chemistry teacher I can tell you that if it says 'aldehyde' on the bottle its actually formaldehye... it is the simplest of the family of aldehydes and so can be named this (by unscrupulous companies who don't want you to know what is in it!)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formaldehyde

Additionally, toothpastes/cleaning products etc no longer regularly contain formaldehye (though they did in the 80s!)
    ~ m xx

6th July 2012

Quote Originally Posted by gigglebert View Post
    As a chemistry teacher I can tell you that if it says 'aldehyde' on the bottle its actually formaldehye... it is the simplest of the family of aldehydes and so can be named this (by unscrupulous companies who don't want you to know what is in it!)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formaldehyde

Additionally, toothpastes/cleaning products etc no longer regularly contain formaldehye (though they did in the 80s!)
    Yes i realise that about the aldehyde, what im saying is if insurance companies will insure you using a product that contains 2% formaldahyde then it cant be as bad as people may think otherwise they wouldnt be insuring stylists??

How long does it normally last for?

Quote Originally Posted by frizzfreehair View Post
    Yes i realise that about the aldehyde, what im saying is if insurance companies will insure you using a product that contains 2% formaldahyde then it cant be as bad as people may think otherwise they wouldnt be insuring stylists??
    I assume that you mean 0.2% formaldehyde. If you are using products that contain it at 2% you are in breach of EU regulations, see below.

Formaldehyde is legally allowed in the EU for safe use in cosmetics, up to specific concentrations:

Oral hygiene products - up to 0.1%
    Nail hardeners - up to 5%
    Up to 0.2% in all other products.

Formaldehyde is a gas with a pungent, choking odour. Formaldehyde is safe for use in cosmetic products up to legally permitted levels. However, when used in excessively high levels, as can be seen in some hair straighteners, and when very high temperature are also involved in the straightening procedure, it is possible that the client and the hair professional could suffer skin irritations, breathing difficulties and even collapse.
    http://www.hbsa.uk.com/information.html
    ~ m xx

6th July 2012

Some good info - I'll be giving these a miss.

http://jezebel.com/5889630/folks-are...ium=socialflow

I apologize for bump the old topic, but I have some interesting observations that I would like to share, maybe this will help someone in the future because once I was on the lookout for useful advice.
    I ve been using keratin treatments for more than 3 years in a row, doing it myself every 2-3 months, with the one liter bottle I ve been buying.
    So after lots of research this is what I could add to what MINAKO said:

I m afraid there is no available information on how exactly those treatments work, the chemistry behind them and the extend of the damage they cause to hair.
    It's definitely a washout treatment but this depends mostly on what temperature u re gonna use on your given hair width (thickness of individual strand)

That said, a head of coarse, virgin hair will revert at 100% to its original texture after (even multiple) applications with 230 C iron set.
    A head of fine, colored hair would probably be permanently straightened , or worse, by the same application. So use your sense.
    One, two or three applications wont damage in any significant level your hair, if it's relatively healthy and not overly thin. It's definitely worth the try, at least once!
    I ve used AT LEAST 20 times at maximum temperature (230 C) and my hair was still in pretty good condition (given the fact I was also dying it every 2-3 months!)

What I don't know is if its going to compromise your effort of reaching super long hair. That means Hip and beyond. MINAKO might have pretty good genetics when it comes to hair, judging from her ethnicity and also by the fact she had reached HIP length with curly hair.
    For an average caucasian with somewhat curly hair, of average growing speed, I m not sure.

On YouTube there are a lot of interesting videos on this topic, I will share with you, one of them, hope this will help to someone Good luck
    Last edited by Bonver; 23-01-2019 at 03:23 PM.