Thread: Make up recommendations !!

Default Make up recommendations !!

I'm considering doing my own make up for wedding, but not sure which products would be the best to use. Ive got a few fine lines, which i dont want to accentuate. lol Im planning to buy a whole new make up kit and get plenty practice before the big day. Which products would be the best to use?? Advice please ladies. x

Super Senior Platinum Member SpecialSundae's Avatar

What sort of look are you going for?
    Fairy Gokmother

I dont have a particular look in mind, i just want to keep it natural, nothing too dramatic. Would like to emphasise eyes more, but still look radiant and youthful. lol Not the youngest of brides..early 40s

Chanel Vita Lumiere is a great foundation for a radiant and youthful look. Their Poudre Douce is also gorgeous.
    Laura Mercier concealers are the best bar none (I get the little round pot with two concealers and powder for day-to-day use).
    Urban Decay Naked or Naked 2 palette for eye shadows and their eye shadow primer is awesome too.
    I actually use Maybelline 24 Hour gel liner at the moment and love it and their mascaras are good enough for me, but I know other people prefer higher end ones. I splash out where it seems most obvious to me.
    MAC lipsticks are my favourites (Russian Red and Viva Glam IV for me) and I do rather like the new Clinique Almost Lipstick range.

I don't do bronzer, so I'm not really much help on that.
    Fairy Gokmother

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialSundae View Post
    Chanel Vita Lumiere is a great foundation for a radiant and youthful look. Their Poudre Douce is also gorgeous.
    Laura Mercier concealers are the best bar none (I get the little round pot with two concealers and powder for day-to-day use).
    Urban Decay Naked or Naked 2 palette for eye shadows and their eye shadow primer is awesome too.
    I actually use Maybelline 24 Hour gel liner at the moment and love it and their mascaras are good enough for me, but I know other people prefer higher end ones. I splash out where it seems most obvious to me.
    MAC lipsticks are my favourites (Russian Red and Viva Glam IV for me) and I do rather like the new Clinique Almost Lipstick range.

I don't do bronzer, so I'm not really much help on that.
    Thanks SpecialSundae, will definately look into the foundation, i need all the help i can get lol. Laura Mercier is another brand i had considered especially for primer.

I couldnt agree more about splashing out on the most importantant items. As long as i get the foundation sorted i can concentrate on other areas after that. x

Quote Originally Posted by janee621 View Post
    Thanks SpecialSundae, will definately look into the foundation, i need all the help i can get lol. Laura Mercier is another brand i had considered especially for primer.

I couldnt agree more about splashing out on the most importantant items. As long as i get the foundation sorted i can concentrate on other areas after that. x
    Laura Mercier primer is gorgeous. I've never been mad on their foundation, though (which is odd as I love their concealer).
    Fairy Gokmother

Some other foundations to consider are Estee Lauder Double Wear the coverage is amazing! I love MAC face and body as well, as its nice and light but can build it up for more coverage. For blusher, i love the MAC mineralize blushers and for bronzer, nars & bobbi brown do lovely palette-like bronzers. For eyeshadow, i agree that Naked or Naked 2 Urban Decay palettes are fantastic! And would not go anywhere else but MAC or Clinique for my lipstick.

Quote Originally Posted by KK22 View Post
    Some other foundations to consider are Estee Lauder Double Wear the coverage is amazing! I love MAC face and body as well, as its nice and light but can build it up for more coverage. For blusher, i love the MAC mineralize blushers and for bronzer, nars & bobbi brown do lovely palette-like bronzers. For eyeshadow, i agree that Naked or Naked 2 Urban Decay palettes are fantastic! And would not go anywhere else but MAC or Clinique for my lipstick.
    I was warned off Double Wear for weddings, as apparently it has a tendency to turn up white in some photos.
    Fairy Gokmother

I've heard some people say that for different foundations but i've worn double wear loads of times in photos and i've never had a problem with it so it might depend on additional factors as well.

Jane, i would recommend that for your face make up that you take pictures with it all on anyway so that you can get a feel for how it looks, as make up can look pretty different in pics.

You've definitely got some good product recommendations from the ladies there. Another thing I would suggest if you are looking for ideas on looks and thing would be to watch some makeup tutorials. I am totally addicted to Lisa Eldridge's tutorials - www.lisaeldridge.com. She's a pro makeup artist who does work with No.7 and Chanel and does loads of magazines too and she's really good at explaining how to do different looks and which products to use. She's got a few videos on her site of bridal looks and also of tips for mature ladies if you're worried about that. Def a good place to pick up some ideas!

Thanks for all the advice girls, will definately have fun trying out different looks and products. x