Thread: Is 5 months not long enough???

Default Is 5 months not long enough???

I decided after New Year that I wanted to get married this year, so I'm frantically planning everything just now.

I just spoke to a lady from a bridal shop, just enquiring about their range, prices, etc. She gasped when I told her I'm getting married in August and haven't even been to see dresses yet. She said it's not long enough. Then she proceeded to tell me I could get a dress from about £700. Please say it ain't so! My budget's £400-£500, and even then I think I've been generous!

So now I'm in panic mode. I'm going to the SECC tomorrow to 'do lots of homework' (as recommended by the sales woman)!

Well I bought a second hand dress so it was ready immediately and was £599 - thats maybe an option for you?

Stockton-on-Tees for work and Glasgow is where my Fiance is

You usually need 6 months for a dress to be ordered for you but you can get ones of the sale rail and just have them altered... they will be cheaper that way too.

Defo take advantage of the SECC as lots of places will give you discounts if you book within a week or two of the show, but don't get too carried away as you could end up getting stuff you don't need.

Also because you are booking so late make sure you ask for a discount as often you will find people are willing to drop there prices for late bookings just so they can fill their books. You may struggle to get exactly what you want as alot of the specific people I tried to book were already booked and that was with well over a year in advance. What date are you looking at?
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

Of course you can do it, you just need to be really organised. My friend organised hers in 3 months, she wasn't fussy about suppliers, dress etc. She went into a bridal shop like you and they basically laughed her out the shop! She ended up buying a beautiful dress from Monsoon. Have you tried looking in high street shops? Another option is sites like preloved, ebay for 2nd hand.

Super Senior Platinum Member nearlymrsT's Avatar

Where are you based? There's a shop in Edinburgh called Bliss Bridal Studio. They sell ex sample and once worn dresses. You are bound to find a dress in there for your budget and the time frame won't be an issue.
    http://www.blissstudio.co.uk/

Unfortunately you might be too late to get a made to order dress but look out for sample sales that bridal shops have now and again.
    x Love is being stupid together x

Super Senior Member

Angelique lamont in glasgow do dresses for that sort of price. They also do packages dress, underskirt, veil and tiara for £450 - £500! Not sure of there time scales for odering though. I took my dress away the day I bought it!

There's a bridal shop in Dollar which sell dresses off the peg. Not sure about their price range, but time is not an issue if you are buying on the day!
    DD

My friend organised her wedding in 3 months and it was great. You might find you have less choice of suppliers but it definetely is do-able. Usually it can take up to 6 months to order a dress but some can do it in less time. You could try individual dress designers/seamstress who could make you one too. I've always tried to stick to suppliers who have "can do" attitudes, you might find that some suppliers are unwilling/moany about the timescale as it might be more work for them, but there are plenty who will appreciate the business and will happily work with you.

As for your budget, it is on a lower scale when it comes to wedding dresses (cant believe the price of some!). You could try high street, but I'm sure some boutiques will have some for that price. Again a seamstress could work well with that budget if you want something unique.

Super Senior Platinum Member FutureMrsAdie's Avatar

My friend organised her wedding in 3 months. Try ebay or lightinthebox for dresses in your price range and timescale

if your in Glasgow - Perfection Bridal in Merchant City stock dresses in your price range or what about somewhere like Vivienne of Holloway for 50's style dresses for less than £100 then add some petticoats??

I'm not against buying second hand, and I love the look of the Bliss Bridal Studio! I'm in East Kilbride so ideally I'd like to get something in Glasgow or Lanarkshire.

Sapphireblue, I was sure that being in the Merchant City Perfection Bridal would be out of my price range so I'm so glad to hear that!

Thanks for all the help girls, this place is invaluable!!!

Leigh x

Hi

I got my dress from a shop in Motherwell - Kinnie's. They have a fabulous sale rail with plenty of choice starting from about £200. They do alterations too which they start 6 weeks before wedding and again alteration prices are very reasonable.

We have 9 months and I'm still taking quite a leisurely approach to things! But then, I know exactly what I want- it's just a matter of coughing up the cash! I'm sure you'll be fine- in fact, you can often get good deals on some things booking last minute!

I'm just back from The Wedding Show where I managed to fall in love with many dresses and brought one home! I can't believe I actually walked out with my wedding dress! It was from a lovely stall (Kudos, in Edinburgh) at a fraction of the original price. Woo hoo!!! Now the hunt's on for the perfect shoes....

Thank you lovely ladies for all your help x

Aww so glad you have your dress!! Fantastic news! Lightinthebox is fab for wedding shoes! All the best well planning. What date is your wedding? x

Thanks! It's 3rd August. Good tip about Lightinthebox, didn't know they did shoes

Leigh, Im in exactly the same boat - decided in February to get married in August, fell in love with a wedding dress on the sale rail at SECC 2012, brought one home. Vintage bridal boutique in Kilmalcolm. So your not alone, it can be done! Now just got to sort out the bridesmaids!
    Incidentally - how bad was that queue for the changing room portakabin thingy at the SECC? Its a testament to my dress that i stood in the queue long enough to try it on....

Hi ladies, glad to see a few of your are doing it quickly as well, I'm also in the 5 month boat. Got engaged in December and am getting married in June. I've been to a few wedding dress shops, and although they always say, "Ooh! June? This year?! That's VERY last minute, isn't it?"... I notice they still all manage to find a fair few dresses they want to sell me! I now feel so relaxed about dresses, I'm actually putting it off a few weeks more to get photography, guestlist etc sorted.