Thread: should I be providing transport for my inlaws 2B?

Unhappy should I be providing transport for my inlaws 2B?

Hiya all!
    I now can't sleep. I thought I had everything organised for my July wedding but just been at the in-laws 2B and they think i'm going to be providing transport for them to get to the venue (aparently this is traditional???).

They think they should be getting a wedding car to the venue? is this right?

I've got a car for myself & my dad, my bridesmaids and mum & one for the groom and best man.

My thought then was that my inlaws could go with the groom & best man but then aparently that would leave the best mans fiance (future sister in law) to get to the venue herself.
    should I put on another car? to be honest the budget is tight.
    I'm all confused & worried now don't want to upset anyone! xx

I've never heard of transport being provided for the groom's family, I'm not - they're getting a taxi.

What's your H2B saying? you could offer to pay for a cab, much cheaper than a hiring a car, would that be ok with them??

I have 3 cars,
    1 for me and my dad
    1 for my mum and 3 bridesmaids and 2 flowergirls
    1 for H2B, BM, 2Ushers and his parents as thats where he is leaving from but I wouldn't be putting on another car for them. My 2 future sister-in-laws and their kids will be getting a taxi to church then the bus from there.
    Lisa x

Super Senior Member

I wont be providing transport for Wulls family. I will have a car for me and my dad, and his girlfriend will probably be in with us too. One for my 4 bridesmaids, and one for Wull and his two best men.

Sorry, but I think them 'assuming' they will have transport is a bit off. I would bring it up next time you speak to them, just ask how they are getting to the wedding. If they say that you and h2b will be providing a car, just laugh and say 'Im not made of money!'

I'm staying at my venue the night before but my mum (she's giving me away) but I have hired a car to pick up my H2B and bestman. It might sound selfish but I didn't even think of providing transport for my inlaws the rest of my family will be making their own way their so so should my inlaws.

I agree with castle-bride loving the "I'm not made of money" you should clear it up sooner than later or you'll end up worrying yourself sick or letting it stew and flipping your lid.

Thank you for all your advice ladies.
    I guess i'll need to have a conversation with them and tell them straight what I can do for them.
    I'm actually so angry now that I've slept on it.
    H2b is no use at all anything to do with the wedding and he shuts off.
    oh the joys!
    i'll keep you all posted as to how it goes!
    thanks again xx

Platinum Member

ok iv gone the opposite way.....i want 3 cars, but 1 of them to do a bit of double running lol. my fiance is getting a car with his 2best men and then the car will go bak and get his parents and ushers (his brother n cousin). we'll have the other 2 cars for me and my dad and my mum and bridesmaids.

altho the car company i enquired about can only give us the minibus http://www.ashtoncars.com/gallery3.html which holds 8 people, so that might solve our problem haha!! not too sure about the bus tho lol it looks a bit funny!!

Super Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs C 2B View Post
    Thank you for all your advice ladies.
    I guess i'll need to have a conversation with them and tell them straight what I can do for them.
    I'm actually so angry now that I've slept on it.
    H2b is no use at all anything to do with the wedding and he shuts off.
    oh the joys!
    i'll keep you all posted as to how it goes!
    thanks again xx
    Good luck! And remember, you are marrying him, not his family. So stuff whatever negative ideas they have about what you 'should' be doing. At the end of the day they should, as other guests are, be happy to arrange to get themselves to your wedding to watch you get married to each other!

Never heard of this one! To be honest, even arranging official transport for the groom and best man is a new one on me (tho obv they have to get there somehow!)

I would just make it clear that you have never heard of that tradition and so haven't booked OR BUDGETED for a car for them. Then say that they could go with their son but then that would leave the sister in law 2 b by herself and they wouldn't want that would they? That way you are leaving the ball in their court.

The reason that the girl's side of the wedding party get cars is cos everyone else is supposed to be there already and seated/standing.

If it makes you feel any better one of my friends mother in law 2 b assumed that she would get to do all the same things as my friend's mum - so went in a MASSIVE huff when my friend gently told her that she didn't want her there when she was getting dressed. Relative to that your problem isn't too bad eh?!

Hope it works out - let us know!

I wouldn't bother talking to them. Just tell them you've got their car coming at ** time and they should be ready for for it... then book a taxi (a fairly nice one if you can). I certainly wouldn't be hiring another car. I've not ever heard of the groom's family getting a special car.

Me and my maids are staying at venue the night before and the groom was going to get a taxi just to save money but his mum wants to pay for a car for him so she may be doing that which would be big enough for them all.. its either that or she is getting him, the best man and my son a car and the rest are getting taxi.

Just do as someone has already said and book taxi for them.
    Wedding date 2/10/10

I'm booking 3 cars also.
    1 for me and my dad
    1 for my mum and bridesmaids
    1 for my H2B and best man whish is going to take them to the church and go back and collect his parents and take them.
    If your H2B and family are not too far away from venue you could consider this option - makes them feels special but at no extra cost!
    Worth a try maybe??
    Hope you get sorted - don't worry!!!

I've got 3 too, one for me and my mum (shes giving me away), one for my H2B and his bro (his best man), and his mum and other bro, i got one that holds 4. His mum and dad are divorced and his mum was under the impression she got transport too, so thats why we did this. then i'm getting another for my bridesmaids. xx

Default wedding cars

This made me smile this topic.

Im trying to imagine the look on my H2B face if i told him his mum was to get a taxi!! o.m.g.

anyway...this is what we are doing -

House to church - 1 car for my dad and I. That same car is also picking up H2B and his best man, before me and my dad obv. VW Campervan from Waterside Classic Cars. Its gorge! In this will be my Mum, future mother in law, my one and only bridesmaid and my two wee flowergirls!

Church to venue - me and hubby in car. Mum, Dad , m in law, b.maid and two f.g in VW Campervan

Only need two cars....result!!!

Gem xx

Super Senior Member

I'm staying over at the venue the night before and everyone else can make their own way!

Super Senior Member

We booked 2 cars then h2b's mum kicked up hell! Had to phone the company and book a 3rd (which didn't match the other 2 at all, grr). She went in a total huff about it, saying why should I arrive in a lovely car and the groom doesn't, why should my parents arrive in a lovely car and groom's mum doesn't etc. She made h2b feel bad so he pressured me even though I didn't want to spend that money on it. It means though that his sister is also in that car, whereas my brother and his wife aren't in any fancy cars at all so his wife is driving!! Really makes me mad when I think about it. Could have booked them a nice silver taxi or something. Nobody will take any photos of it anyway. Bloody pain in the bum costing me 200 extra!