Thread: NWR - Giving up drinking till the wedding

Super Senior Member

Default NWR - Giving up drinking till the wedding

Had a works doo last week and got hopelessly drunk which has had some consequences for me back in the office and resulted in a rather epic 3 day hangover. I took the decision to give up drinking because 1) it was embarrassing 2) Im generally not the kind of person who needs a drink to enjoy a night out and 3) it will help me get in shape and be healthier.

I decided that the next drink I take will be at the wedding (though just to clarify, I mean a half glass of champagne at the toast, not doing body shots off a waiters chest!) which is in October so 8 months away. I gave up for 6 months in university (a particularly boozey stage of life) with no issue so felt this was reasonable.

However my decision has been met with hostility from a lot of friends. One in particular has 'put money on it' that I will give up after a week. I'm not a big drinker and I can go weeks without even a cheeky one at the weekends so I'm quite taken aback by peoples attitude. I've also been told I will be 'offending' people by not drinking on nights out. I have thought about just not saying to anyone and buying my own drinks from now on so it doesnt really get raised... but I'm not sure how to tackle all this negativity? :-S

Super Senior Platinum Member SpecialSundae's Avatar

Good for you!

The one thing I'd say is to be careful on your wedding day if you haven't drunk for six months. Your tolerance will be at rock bottom so even one glass might be enough to get you tiddly!

Other than this week, which was my birthday yesterday and my birthday party tomorrow, I'm trying to keep my alcohol tolerance in the 7-14 units per week range (which I do most of the time).
    Fairy Gokmother

Well done you.

I had my daughter in September so didnt drink at all during my pregnancy and while we were trying you were lucky if I had a glass of wine a week. I am not a big drinker and dont mind driving rather than drinking. Like you however I found that some people just couldnt understand this. Especially the inlaws, my SIL was shocked that christmas/new year 2010 I only had half a glass of wine in her house. They are big drinkers!! Even this Christmas and New Year I drove because I wasnt willing to walk or pay for taxis to get the wee one about and also how can i care for a tiny baby when I have been drinking. My SIL kept saying your not pregnant now!! Eh no I am not but I now have a baby to care for.

Just ignore people when they try to pressure you into have a drink, if you want to stay off it stick to your guns. I have learnt to stand up for myself a bit better now. You go for it chick. However I agree with specialsundae be careful you dont get drunk on your half glass of bubbly at the wedding. When I had a wine & lemonade after the baby i was steaming lol OH found it very funny!

x x x x x x

You go for it hun! I think its a shocking attitude that your friends have, instead of supporting your decision they make you out to be a spoilsport which is actually making them look like total saddos! You stick to your guns hun, if you can do without drink then good for it and don't feel pressured into drinking by your "friends".

@Rowan..Happy belated Birthday hun
    Anita & Grant 26th of May 2011

Super Senior Member AnotherMrsBrown's Avatar

I gave up last Jan after a load of booze over Xmas/New Year and went out etc as normal just took the car. I kept getting asked why I wasnt drinking etc all the time by everyone was getting on my nerves! Wonder why when you go out and not drink people go on and on about it.

I say Good for you to give it up until the wedding, im the same now i dont drink too much (different until I was about 25!).

Just think of all the hangovers youll miss and feeling fresh instead! x
    FORUMTICKER.NET Ticker

nearlymrsT

I'm puzzled as to how anyone could be offended by you not drinking?! Maybe they are just concerned you are going to make them look bad or you're not going to be buying rounds.

Good luck with it!

Good for you! Think of all the extra pennies you'll be saving as well! We went out for a friends birthday at the weekend and i chose not to drink and drive instead and H2B drunk much less than he would usually because we're both watching the pennies after a particularly tight month. We still had a lovely night but i understand how you feel when you say your getting irrate at other people judging you! Its really nobody elses business other than yours if you choose to drink or not

What difference does it make to them if you dont drink! And they should be encouraging you. I have a few friends who do this regularly, as do I, just to give the body a break from the toxins so your friends shouldnt really bat an eyelid with you saying it.

I have been in that position too where you are worrying about the first morning back after a night out and it is horrible. No matter how many people say, oh dont worry we have all been there, it just doesnt make it right! and body shots off a waiters chest..................... sounds like a good story! Hee hee. Chin up and stick with it, you will be so glad on Saturday and Sunday mornings waking up with no heavy head from the previous night. x

Super Senior Member

I had a chat to the friends who were being a bit spiteful about it and pointed out that I've given them support recently. They seemed to understand but I think it's more that they are people who think you can't possibly have a good night out unless you're legless. I pointed out that I was not drinking last Friday and they said they actually hadn't even noticed as I was getting involved in all the banter so they assumed I had been drinking! I felt this made my point quite well!!!! Thanks for all the support Ladies :-) xx

I'm in this situation too. I categorically need to give up alcohol because I have a mental health issue and it makes me feel dreadful mentally for a couple of days if i have had a heavy night on the booze. I went out last night got hammered and felt like death this morning. Problem is I enjoy a drink but dont know when to stop once I start. I have decided that I will give up alcohol altogether with the support of H2B who doesn't really drink anyhow. Lots of my friends drink loads and I'm wondering how it will affect my relationship with them too? Hopefully they will be supportive.

Louise