Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to remember my mum on my wedding day-suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by lil_jo84 View Post
    What about some sort of memorial candle. I've done one that me and my mum can light for my brother.

Have got it engraved with the words:
    On the day your sister says 'I do', we'll take a moment to think of you
    Awwww, I LOVE this idea, jo...!!

All of these suggestions are lovely and fitting...hope you find something you like, MrsMtob...there is NO WAY I'm not going to cry on my wedding day, but I AM "a crier" in any case...I'm just gonna make sure I have GOOD waterproof mascara on!!

Vx

What about using her wedding ring. Or if she had a white piece of lace or silk make a ring cusion out of it. You could name tables after places you have been with her. Attach one of her keep sakes to you bouquet. Did she have a saying that she used regularly, if so you could write it on a ribbon sized piece of paper and attach it to your flowers. If she was into fabric hankies then take one with you down the isle . The truth is that as long as its something personal it will work. I hope you find what your after but in eny case she will be with you every step of the way inside you. GL and chin up

Advertisers

Default memory table

A memory table with pictures of those that can't be with us is a nice idea, or if you have a piece of your mums jewllery you could add it into your bouquet, that way a part of her will be close to you all day x

I lost my mum last May and even though we had decided to go away ourselves to Vegas to get married I am still going to miss her on my wedding day!!
    I miss her now, not being able to ask for her help!!

I have her engagement ring & that will be my something old on the day!! And I'm sure I will have a chat with her before I walk downstairs to H2B!!

Love the idea of the candle....have to look into that for reception when we get back!!

Mrs Clark to be! NicholaPaisley's Avatar

This thread has made me tear up! Such lovely ideas xx

Ive not used the site for a while but here goes. My mum died many years ago when I was quite young and my dad died in July, 3 months before my wedding. OMG I dont know how I got through it all but I did. I was also concerned that so many people would be missing my dad so I decided to create diversions and tried to take everyones mind away from what was really going on the day. I surprised my now husband with a vintage car, my guests arrived to hear a piper (all unexpected), I arranged a string quartet, walked down the aisle by an old friend to music that was very much my husbands and mine. In a nutshell I tried to take everyones mind off what had just happened. I had a locket hidden in my bouquet with my parents photo and I placed a copy of their wedding photo along with a memory candle at the base of our cake. There is so much going on in the day that you do get by because you dont have the time to think and because you have to. However, its the weeks after that it hits you hard but even then the photos arrive and you open gifts and you write thank you cards. Somewhere on a puffy cloud there are people watching over you and you just have to keep believing that xx

I too welled up reading this thread but I also feel a little bad that I won't be "doing anything" for my parents not being at my wedding (passed away 11 years and 14 years ago) but I don't feel that I want to bring folk down or lose it completely. I don't want to have something visible that will need explained to my new in-laws etc (I will have a locket with their wedding photo but that is for me). Will guests feel it "should be mentioned" that they are not present and very much missed?

This is a subject very close to my heart & I've done lots of google searches looking for opinions on it. The opinions were very mixed & I think it all comes down to what feels right for you / your family and what you think you can handle on the day.

I lost my mum 2 years ago, and my dad 8 years ago, and my H2B lost his dad just last year.

I originally thought I wanted to do something visible and public and acknowledge those who cant be with us in physical sense - but after much thought I've decided to be more subtle about it - for a couple of reasons :

My H2B mum still finds it difficult without her husband, so too much emphasis on his loss would make her maudlin on the day.
    I know that if I dwell on it all a lot, Im going to be a gibbering mess as Im really missing my mum whilst wedding planning, & its still raw for me to talk about her without getting upset.
    I also dont want guests to feel they have to feel what Im feeling .. as that isnt possible.
    I would like it to be a happy day, and I dont think my parents would have wanted me to struggle on the day.

I have bought the little photo frames off ebay, and intend to put them in my bouquet too, but I'll probably be the only one who knows they are there, and Im also considering releasing 3 cream balloons (one for each of them) when we're away for our photos (again, guests may not even notice this) but it will make me feel we are acknowleding their absence & sending a little message to the 'puffy clouds' as someone so nicely put it!
    Its a personal choice as I say, but I think I'd find it too hard to see an empty chair for example.

Hope you all find what works best for you (and a good mascara - I know Im going to need one!) x

Quote Originally Posted by gvally2b View Post

Hope you all find what works best for you (and a good mascara - I know Im going to need one!) x
    Definitly going to need a good waterproof marcara!

I lost my mum 4 years ago. Our celebrant is mentioning a few words at the beginning of our ceremony. Also, our wedding date 8th June was her birthday. I think that is enough for me, as it was hard enough trying to explain to our celebrant that she won't be there. However, she does have a twin sister and she'll be there and we'll be celebrating her birthday too.

I like the idea of photos either in the bouquet or beside the cake.

I bought one of these little lockets for my bouquet if anyone is interested - http://www.etsy.com/listing/93208645...locket-bouquet

It is absolutely gorgeous, arrived really quickly and in lovely packaging. It was a bit of a pain getting a teeny tiny picture printed though!

All the ideas above are really lovely. xxx

I lost my dad 20yrs ago but I will still feel his absence when I get married. His death is still a very raw point for my siblings so instead of pictures that may upset them, I will be having one Forget-Me-Not in my all-white bouquet & that will also be my something blue