Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to remember my mum on my wedding day-suggestions?

Default How to remember my mum on my wedding day-suggestions?

My mum passed away in September last year and I am really sad that she won't be at my wedding in August. I do however, take some comfort, in that she saw me in my dress and had helped me start to plan things. It is going to be such a difficult day, my mum was my best friend. I would, however like to remember her on the day and am looking for suggestions. I have already decided to get a corsage made for her and put them at her grave on the morning of the wedding and may wear a pair of her earrings but I would like to do something more....I hope I can stay strong and not dissolve into tears...

Stockton-on-Tees for work and Glasgow is where my Fiance is

What about some sort of memorial candle. I've done one that me and my mum can light for my brother.

Have got it engraved with the words:
    On the day your sister says 'I do', we'll take a moment to think of you
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

I know someone who put a little photo of her mum inside her bouquet so it meant that her mum was going down the aisle with her.

Quote Originally Posted by lil_jo84 View Post
    What about some sort of memorial candle. I've done one that me and my mum can light for my brother.

Have got it engraved with the words:
    On the day your sister says 'I do', we'll take a moment to think of you
    Hey lil jo where did you get your candle from?? I would love one too but with we rather than sister x

Stockton-on-Tees for work and Glasgow is where my Fiance is

I got if from ebay, you just have to contact them before you buy to check that what you want writen on it is suitable http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PERSONALIS...item336c23c7e8

Quote Originally Posted by JulyBride View Post
    I know someone who put a little photo of her mum inside her bouquet so it meant that her mum was going down the aisle with her.
    Have to admit I love this idea... If I had a suitable pic of my brother then I would chose that

I'm having a photo sewed to my underskirt. Song bird sang during signing the register dedicated to her, and I know she will be mentioned in all the speeches. Oh and a picture next to my cake. I have heard of people leaving an empty seat in there loved ones memory. Xxx hope some of these help xxx

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMtob View Post
    My mum passed away in September last year and I am really sad that she won't be at my wedding in August. I do however, take some comfort, in that she saw me in my dress and had helped me start to plan things. It is going to be such a difficult day, my mum was my best friend. I would, however like to remember her on the day and am looking for suggestions. I have already decided to get a corsage made for her and put them at her grave on the morning of the wedding and may wear a pair of her earrings but I would like to do something more....I hope I can stay strong and not dissolve into tears...
    Why don't you do a toast to your mum. Have a few lines about how much she helped you and maybe a funny story or two about anything wedding related you shared together and then finish with a toast. maybe if you don't feel up to it your husband could do it.
    x

Super Senior Member Mrs_G to be's Avatar

these ideas are lovely girls - I lost my own dad 2 and a half years ago and I know I am going to really feel the loss of him on the day - my nephew/godson is going to give me away and I know he will mention my dad in his speech as will my h2b - but I want it to be happy and not sad if you know what I mean by that as that is what my dad would have wanted.

I am going to put my wedding bouquet on my dad's grave and will visit his grave the day before the wedding to leave some flowers with a wedding invitation tucked inside them.

I have also done a big board with the title "memories of your special day on our special day" and decorated it to match our colour scheme and I have managed to get copies of lots of our friends and relatives wedding photos - we are going to display this with the evening buffet - and of course there is a photo of my mum and dad on their wedding day on there too.

It's so nice your mum saw your dress and helped you with your plans - these things will comfort you I am sure and your mum will be with you in spirit on your big day as she is every day. x

Getting married on 23/06/12

I don't have either of my parents so I had a memoral candle which I ordered from ebay and on the day it sat beside a photo of my mum & dad on their wedding day. It was lovely xx

My graany, whom I was very close with, passed away 3 and a half years ago and she always said she wanted to be at my wedding. In her memory I am having an empty seat the the front with a lilac rose on it-lilac was her favourite colour
    Saturday 21st June 2014 - Solsgirth House

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1707724014...#ht_500wt_1202

I bought these to have inside my bouquet of my mum x

Senior Platinum Member

my mum passed away the day i got engaged so she's not been a part of my planning unfortunately.
    im having a catholic ceremony and one of the readings we're having is "In his love for Rebekah, Isaac found solace after the death of his mother"

my h2b is also doing a toast to all who cannot be with us inc my 2nd cousin, my mother, his gran and 2 cousins

i'll probably have my mums star of david wrapped within my bouquet, as she was never seen without it, and a picture maybe

i love the memorial candle and i can think of a lovely place to put it in my reception venue

xx
    Getting Married at Lochside House - 15th June 2013

Awww all of these ideas are lovely!!

I lost my gran 4 years ago and I am totally heartbroken she will not be there on the day but i am trying to find some of her jewellery to wear but i am loving the flower idea as she adored flowers!!

We are also having a memorial tree with pictures of people who sadly aren't here for our special day with a lil poem beside it i think its still a work in progress. Thinkin of asking some family to provide some cracking pictures before hand

Xx
    <3 Mrs Moran Millar....To Be <3

Quote Originally Posted by Lovelygirl85 View Post
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1707724014...#ht_500wt_1202

I bought these to have inside my bouquet of my mum x
    I love this idea! x
    Saturday 21st June 2014 - Solsgirth House

I've seen a friends wedding photos whose brother died a few years ago and she had a photo of him in her bouquet, i think she had it in a locket style neclace then it was wrapped around her flowers, it really looked lovely.

Personally I've lost a few family members I was close to in the last 8 or so years, including my dad. My venue has a fireplace so I'm framing small pictures of them (using these I think http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/...7EPhoto+frames) and displaying them there. While there will be a reference to people we love and miss in the speeches I dont want to dwell too much so for me this is perfect.

Senior Platinum Member

there's gorgeous decorative lockets on ebay that would look really amazing in a bouquet, just incase anyone's looking for one

xx
    Getting Married at Lochside House - 15th June 2013

Super Senior Member

I had my dad's wedding band sewn into my boquet and then had a picture of him beside my cake and a picture of my hubby's mum beside the cake too. Also my hubby gave a toast to our departed loved ones. I also put my top table flowers onto my dad's and hubby's mum's grave. x
    ***29th April 2011***

we had a photo of my granddad and my hubbys dad in a lovely frame and we lit a candle for them at the beginning of the ceremony. I can't guarantee that you won't cry, I did and my granddad has been gone for 28years but I loved him loads. I love the idea of a photo in your bouquet though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dorstewitzwilliamson260511_121.jpg  
    Anita & Grant 26th of May 2011

My dad died last year, so I'm in the same boat trying to find nice ways to remember him at the wedding. He loved Robert Burns so I'm going to have My Luv is Like a Red Red Rose played either when I'm walking down the aisle or when we are signing the register. My dad was usually found at the bar at weddings so I'm going to have a picture of him at the bar with a pint! We are having a humanist ceremony so pretty sure he will be mentioned in that and during the speeches.

Default Little ideas

http://www.flutterbyweddings.co.uk/p...ng-colours.htm
    I'm having 1 of these with my gran in it..

How about wearing a locket with a picture of your mum in it? So that she's close 2 your heart on the day? In a symbolic way as obviously she will b in there anyways...

These are all such lovely ideas. I want to do something like this for the people I want to remember on our wedding day although I'm already crying just reading this I don't think I would manage!! xx

I lost my dad almost 10 years ago. I have a photo of my dad in a locket which I will have tied into my bouquet. As we are having a catholic ceremony, one of the prayers of the faithful is specifically for my dad. I have to admit I'm not usually an emotional person but I have had a few sad teary moments recently in the run up to our big day. I'm really hoping that I don't cry at our wedding but if I do then I'm sure that people will understand x

Super Senior Member

What about naming your tables after thinfs that remind you of your mum or your mums favourite things, places, songs?

Hi,

My Mum died when I was 5. i've had the stone from her engagement ring put into my wedding ring. It's beautiful and it means she'll always be with me. My OH and I only have 1 Grandpa each, all of our other grandparents have died in the last 10 years. We have gathered photographs of our parents and grandparents on their wedding days and we're having meter length banners made with their picture, their names and the date they were married....we're then hanging these along the castle walls of our ceremony room. They'll all be watching over us.

Love the idea of thie little photoframes in the bouquets. Never seen anything like that before.

M
    X

Quote Originally Posted by JulyBride View Post
    That's what I'm gonna be doing...this thread has made me cry!!!

Vx