Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lost my diamond!

nearlymrsT

Default Lost my diamond!

It's gone. It was definitely shining brightly in my ring yesterday morning but by 8pm last night it had vanished. Could be anywhere. I'm mortified! Going to Fraser Hart after work to see if they can put a new diamond in it. Don't know how much this will cost though The warranty doesn't cover for accidental loss or damage and I never thought about getting the ring insured, maybe that was a mistake.

I believe bad things come in threes. Last week I sprained my ankle, now this...just waiting for what's round the corner now!

oh no!! Thats terrible I hope you can get it replaced for a reasonable price. I'm paranoid, I constantly check to make sure the diamond is still in my ring, I think it has become habbit now. x

Advertisers

Nearly MrsT

I am Alan P. Fulton manufacturing designer goldsmith and I am the sponsored link on the SWD Forum this week. You might have had some bad luck but this may be where your luck is changing.

I appreciate you may want to take it back to where you got the ring but my question is - why did it fall out in the first place. I am a quality craftsman and have taken the opportunity this week to be on the Forum to advise. If you require any assistance please let me know.

Regards

Alan

Advertisers

Default Engagement & wedding ring advice

If you want any advice or require questions and cocerns answered please join me on this weeks SWD Forum

Alan

Super Senior Member thefuturemrscl's Avatar

This is awful, how long have you had the ring? Do you think it could have been faulty, in which case surely they should replace? Xxx
    Craig and Louise's Wedding Website

Super Senior Member

This happened to my friend a few years ago and her ring was about 7 yrs old...she got it from Bernstones and they replaced it free of charge !!!

They are part of the same group as Fraser Hart, so fingers crossed it might not cost you anyhing !!! xxx
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

could you not claim under your house insurance if they don't replace it for you?

Super Senior Platinum Member FutureMrsAdie's Avatar

Surely if the diamond has fell out the ring is faulty. I had to take my original engagement ring back twice because it was faulty and ended up having to get a brand new ring. If the jeweller will not replace the diamond free of charge you might be able to make a claim through your home insurance. I didn't take out separate insurance for my ring but it's listed in my home and contents insurance.

Senior Platinum Member

sorry to hear about your ring

my sil to be got her engagement ring from fraser hart and the diamond fell out just over a year since she got it. luckily enough she found the diamond and was only charged 30 or so to get it put back in. thought it was strange that both rings are from fraser hart, think i'll avoid there in future!

i hope you find it/ they dont charge you over the odds for a new diamond

xx
    Getting Married at Lochside House - 15th June 2013

nearlymrsT

Took the ring to Fraser Hart on my way to work. On closer inspection one of the claws holding the diamond in is actually broken. You can't tell without a magnifying glass but you can feel that it's really sharp. The jeweller told me it could have been caused by a very hard knock to the ring but I don't recall doing anything like that. She is sending it to the manufacturer and pleading a manufacturing fault as I don't remember knocking it. She said that most of the time the manufacturer is very accomodating and won't charge but if not I'll have to pay for it to be fixed and it could take 6-8 weeks and approximately 150. She said she was quietly confident I'd get it for free though.

I've had the ring for 2 years and supposed to have it cleaned every 6 months but that doesn't always happen, everyday life intervenes! It's just rotten luck that I didn't notice the diamond fall out. I will get a phone call to hear the verdict 2 weeks time. I can't fault the staff at Fraser Hart though. They're lovely and have always been very helpful, we have bought our wedding rings from there too. Will keep you posted.

Senior Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nearlymrsT View Post
    Took the ring to Fraser Hart on my way to work. On closer inspection one of the claws holding the diamond in is actually broken. You can't tell without a magnifying glass but you can feel that it's really sharp. The jeweller told me it could have been caused by a very hard knock to the ring but I don't recall doing anything like that. She is sending it to the manufacturer and pleading a manufacturing fault as I don't remember knocking it. She said that most of the time the manufacturer is very accomodating and won't charge but if not I'll have to pay for it to be fixed and it could take 6-8 weeks and approximately 150. She said she was quietly confident I'd get it for free though.

I've had the ring for 2 years and supposed to have it cleaned every 6 months but that doesn't always happen, everyday life intervenes! It's just rotten luck that I didn't notice the diamond fall out. I will get a phone call to hear the verdict 2 weeks time. I can't fault the staff at Fraser Hart though. They're lovely and have always been very helpful, we have bought our wedding rings from there too. Will keep you posted.
    thats good news, really hope you get it for free!! i've never had my ring cleaned, and i got it a yr and a half ago lol

xx
    Getting Married at Lochside House - 15th June 2013

I had an accident with my engaement ring in the summer, I had only had it less than 6 months. I was doing some work in the garden and stupid me I didn't take it off. I was working away and I felt a sharp point against my pinky finger and I took my glove off and looked down and I was missing a diamond, somewhere in my head I thought to keep hold of the glove I was wearing, and when I tipped the glove upside down on to the table there it was the diamond, was so relived. I felt so bad fo damaging my ring and kept apoligising to my H2b. He taped the ring and diamond in to the box and took it back to the jewellers to fix and they did it free of charge also and got it back within 2 weeks, I was so glad to have it back. But now I will have a really good look at my ring every now and again because I am so paranoid that I will damage it again.

I was advised to get it cleaned at least once a year, as they make sure it's claws are still tight and holding diamond properly plus it's free of charge.
    Good luck hope it all works out for the best.

nearlymrsT

Quote Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
    I was advised to get it cleaned at least once a year, as they make sure it's claws are still tight and holding diamond properly plus it's free of charge.
    Good luck hope it all works out for the best.
    Well once I get the ring back I shall be taking it be cleaned and inspected without fail every 6 months. I'm going to be so paranoid from now on!

The exact same thing happened to me last year. My ring was less than a year old and I was absolutely distraught!

Luckily, h2b told me 'superman would fix it', he took it in to the shop 'Rox' and they found me a new diamond (bigger and better colour) and made me a new ring free of charge!

I have to say I've had nothing but great service from Rox, weve bought a lot from them, engagement ring, wedding rong and a pair of diamond earring for myself and my sister for the wedding.

Hopefully it will be ok, if they are anything like Rox, they will be as upset as you and try everything to make it better.

xxx

Ooh also, I'm super paranoid about it now, so I asked for some advice about how to tell if it is loose. they told me to hold the ring up to my ear and tap the band. If it is loose, you can actually hear it moving!. I check it almost every day now.

V.xx

Quote Originally Posted by vavamczoom View Post
    The exact same thing happened to me last year. My ring was less than a year old and I was absolutely distraught!

Luckily, h2b told me 'superman would fix it', he took it in to the shop 'Rox' and they found me a new diamond (bigger and better colour) and made me a new ring free of charge!

I have to say I've had nothing but great service from Rox, weve bought a lot from them, engagement ring, wedding rong and a pair of diamond earring for myself and my sister for the wedding.

Hopefully it will be ok, if they are anything like Rox, they will be as upset as you and try everything to make it better.

xxx
    I got my engagement ring from Rox too and they were great!

My OH just got round to adding our rings to our insurance, only took a year. Im always worried that im going to loose my ring. Hopefully you will get your ring fixed soon and that they do it for free. They should as surely it should have held longer.

nearlymrsT

Default A Happy Update!

I had a phone call from the jewellers this morning to say that I'm going to get a brand new ring made free of charge

I guess it won't be the 'original' ring but there's no point getting that fixed if the metal is too weak as it could happen again. The new one will be exactly the same but made to fit rather than resized 3 times like the old one. Just need to wait another 3 weeks for it. x

Quote Originally Posted by nearlymrsT View Post
    I had a phone call from the jewellers this morning to say that I'm going to get a brand new ring made free of charge

I guess it won't be the 'original' ring but there's no point getting that fixed if the metal is too weak as it could happen again. The new one will be exactly the same but made to fit rather than resized 3 times like the old one. Just need to wait another 3 weeks for it. x
    nearlymrsT that's great news about your ring. It must have been so stressful waiting for that call. My ring is also from Fraser hart. It came with q service card so that I can have it cleaned and inspected free of charge every 6 months for 10 years. You should check to see if you are eligible for that too x

nearlymrsT

Quote Originally Posted by michellel View Post
    nearlymrsT that's great news about your ring. It must have been so stressful waiting for that call. My ring is also from Fraser hart. It came with q service card so that I can have it cleaned and inspected free of charge every 6 months for 10 years. You should check to see if you are eligible for that too x
    I got that card too but unfortunately didn't get ring cleaned every 6 months (I think it had been a year since last time), also wasn't sure if it would cover accidental loss of diamond but it turns out the ring had a fault so all is ok. Will definitely be getting it inspected from now on.

nearlymrsT

Wink Eventually...

I have a ring again bit of hassle though. It was made the wrong size despite me being assured it was being made to fit exactly. So I had to wait another week for it to get made the 2 sizes smaller. And it's a little bit different the bandwidth is pretty much the same thickness all the way round where as the original ring tapered and was much slimmer at the back (see avatar pic) It's probably only me that will ever tell the difference. It looks the same from the front that's the important bit

Feels very strange wearing a ring after a 6-7 week break but a happy ending

Senior Platinum Member Harajuku80's Avatar

YAY!!! I need to get mine fixed too..it's such a hassle and really upsetting so I'm glad you have yours back again! xx

Mrs Clark to be! NicholaPaisley's Avatar

Yay!!

I always worry I am going to loose mine, I take it off at night before i go to bed and the way I pull it off I am always worried I will loosen the diamond (mines is only 3 weeks old!!)

Does it cost a lot to get it cleaned etc? xx

Im really pleased that you got a new ring!!

My ring was also from Fraser Hart and i noticed that one of my diamonds (there are 5 in the setting) had come loose, i took it back to them and they said "as a gesture of good will we will repair it for free" i was livid, the ring is just over 1 year old and is obviously poorly made. I was really lucky that i noticed before the diamond fell out completely.

I spoke to a local goldsmith (who is making our wedding rings) who all but told me that my engagement ring was rubbish, my diamonds arent set into the ring therefore if one claw comes loose it is bye bye diamond!! :O

Super Senior Platinum Member SpecialSundae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NicholaPaisley View Post
    Yay!!

I always worry I am going to loose mine, I take it off at night before i go to bed and the way I pull it off I am always worried I will loosen the diamond (mines is only 3 weeks old!!)

Does it cost a lot to get it cleaned etc? xx
    I was warned not to grip the setting when moving my ring as, not only could it loosen the stone over time, but it makes it dirty and therefore it shines less. A reputable jeweller will often offer to clean your ring for free (I've had mine done at Lime Blue a few times and even at De Beers in Harrods once!).
    Fairy Gokmother