Thread: Would you recommend a Humanist wedding?

nearlymrsT

Question Would you recommend a Humanist wedding?

Me and H2B aren't religious so it wouldn't be right for us to be married by a minister, but i have heard that civil ceremonies with a registrar can be quite impersonal, don't really involve the guests in any way and are over in 10 minutes! I've been familiar with Humanism for a few years but am not a member and having read a bit about Humanist weddings it sounds like the right thing for us.

I just wanted to know if anyone has been to a Humanist wedding or is planning one and what feedback did/are you getting from your guests?
    Some of my family and friends are Christian/Catholic and have never heard of Humanism, so i want it to be something that they can enjoy too without potentially being offended! For example the celebrant doesn't go on some kind of anti-God rant does he/she?

any opinions, experiences would be really helpful

Thanks x

Hi MrsT,

I have just booked a Humanist Celebrant for our wedding in July. I was a bit sceptical at first because it's not very popular but I'm convinced I've made the right decision.

I'm let to believe that the Celebrant totally respects all other faiths and if you're concerned about your guests being offended you can have a few moments silence for guests to reflect on their own religious beliefs. You can have complete control over the content of the ceremony. There's one small statement that must be read to make the ceremony legal - it's the "do you take thee.." which I quite like as it's very weddingy!

All the feedback I've had from others was very positive. Goodluck in making your decision. If you need any other info please just get in touch.

we have booked a humanist celebrant for our serivce in October. We choose him because he done my OH's grandads funeral and was a lovely guy.
    We have yet to meet up to start arranging the wedding so cant give you any feedback on that but can say the hotel told us its fast becoming the first choice for couples.
    I am having one of my friends doing a reading for me. The celebrant sent me a draft of a previous service he done and it was lovely.
    Wedding date 2/10/10

we're also having a humanist wedding in july... we were at two weddings last year which both had humanist ceremonies and they were so lovely and so personal that we decided to go for that as well. h2b's family are catholic so we were also worried about offending them, but we spoke to our celebrant and although he wont mention religion in our ceremony he also wouldn't say anything that would be offensive to others so we're happy. I would recommend Mandy Ewing or Leslie Mitchell if that helps x

Wedding Supplier

I have written a SWD blog article about humanist weddings - they are my favourite type of ceremony and at all the weddings I have photographed the guests have commented how fantastic the service was. If you look for blog on the menu above you can read it and it contains some useful links including pricing detais as well as some humanist wedding blogs which are a great resource.

To reassure you there is no anti god sentiment but the focus is the couple and often how they met and what is important to both of them and why they love one another. The other advantage of a humanist wedding is it is possible to marry somewhere unique - i.e. on a beach, a mountain top, indeed a place that is special to you both. I would recommend you speak to a humanist celebrant all the ones I have met and I have met many of them are wonderfully warm people.

I've only been to one humanist wedding, so my view is purely on that wedding... If the length of the ceremony is concerning you (you've said above that civil ceremonies only last 10 mins - which I don't actually think is true...), but the humanist wedding I was at was over in LESS than 10 minutes and that included a reading. Just something to think about...
    ***I'M A WIFE NOW ***

Super Senior Member

We have booked a Humanist ceremony for our wedding in September. Neither of us are religious, and we did have a civil ceremony booked to start with. We had looked at a handfasting ceremony, which Humanist celebrants carry out, which is one of the reasons we switched.

None of our family or friends have ever been to a Humanist wedding. In fact, nobody had even heard of it before we started talking about it! They kept thinking I was saying Humourist! Yeah, Ive hired a comedien to carry out my ceremony!

Im hoping it will be really personal to us. We have a meeting with Bill out Celebrant in March to talk about the ceremony, what we want etc for our day. Then he will write up a draft ceremony, send that to us so we can change things, add things etc til we are happy with the whole ceremony.

Really excited about it!!

Quote Originally Posted by suzw View Post
    we're also having a humanist wedding in july... we were at two weddings last year which both had humanist ceremonies and they were so lovely and so personal that we decided to go for that as well. h2b's family are catholic so we were also worried about offending them, but we spoke to our celebrant and although he wont mention religion in our ceremony he also wouldn't say anything that would be offensive to others so we're happy. I would recommend Mandy Ewing or Leslie Mitchell if that helps x
    We're having a humanist ceremony too and I'm glad to see you're recommendation of Mandy Ewing as she's going to be our celebrant!!

I've been to one humanist ceremony and I thought that it was lovely because it was all about the couple getting married, very personal! So I knew thats what I wanted straight away

[QUOTE=kirsty;9938]We're having a humanist ceremony too and I'm glad to see you're recommendation of Mandy Ewing as she's going to be our celebrant!!

hi kirsty, yeah my best mate was married by her a couple of years ago and she did such a lovely, personal service. my mate also said she was fantastic in the lead up to the wedding and she was so friendly and really made her feel at ease on the day... yey its so exciting, congrats to you and your h2b!!!

Wedding Supplier

I also had a humanist wedding when I got married last year.
    Both me and my partner aren't religious and being a wedding photographer myself, I didn't like the impersonal registry office wedding - why on Earth do you need to 'identify' yourself... and no way would we want a church wedding either. Our Humanist was Alistair Douglas and he was just brilliant! We had to write a few lines about how we met and what we like about each either. We had to hand this in separately before the wedding and it was such a lovely surprise to hear all the things my hubby liked about me and vise versa. We had two friends read a poem, written our own vows, and a friend sang 'Harvest Moon' accompanied by a guitar and flute while we signed the marriage schedule.
    I think a humanist wedding is wonderful. It's personal, can be as long or short as you wish and I can only highly recommend it to anyone!
    I wish you bags of fun for your special day!