Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Money :(

Default Money :(

I think the January blues have hit! We are getting married in December and doing it all on a tight budget (hopefully all in for £5000) but, even so I feel the money stress already!
    I only finished uni last year and although we both work full-time, our wages aren't great so we still have our student overdrafts and credit cards.
    We knew we were never going to have a spare £10k lying around and after being engaged for 2 years just decided it was now or never. Definately not postponing...but really beginning to wonder how we're gonna pay for everything!!

First of all I would say look at your income - how can you maximise it? Is it possible for one or both of you to get a second job or even do something like Betterware or Avon? Look through your old junk and pile a load of it on ebay - you will be surprised at what will sell!

Secondly, really scrutinise your expenditure - can you switch phone tariff? if you have it, do you need sky tv? do you use the gym? perhaps cancel your membership and get out and about and start running - it's free. You really will be surprised by how much extra you can find each month.

The final thing I would say is right a list and start at the top with what you really want for the wedding and prioritise it all from what is most important to the least important (I'm not having things like chair covers or favours which is saving a few hundred pounds!) Also think about what you can get from family and friends - someone to make a cake perhaps or arrange some flowers for you? Can bridesmaids and members of the wedding party pay for their own outfits or wear something they already have.

At the end of the day the most important thing is that you're married to the one you love - the rest of it really is just nice to have!

I'd also say you're not the only one in this boat, especially at this time of the year. Following the storm on Tuesday we now have no fence at the front or back and have water leaking into the loft - ho hum - there goes the money we received as gifts for Christmas!
    Last edited by Gayle; 06-01-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Do you use TopCashback for any online purchases? I appreciate that you are probably not shopping lots while trying to save, but you can pick up free money just by going via their website whenever you order online. I have had over £200 I think in a year, £80 was for a new mobile phone contract but so many online places uses it and every little bit adds up so if you were buying anything online at all it's worth trying it.

And not to condone using this as a method of avoiding paying credit cards indefinitely, but is it worth opening another credit card to do a balance transfer/interest free for a year etc just to give yourself a bit of breathing space? We did this when we moved house just so we didn't have to pay all our furniture etc at once.

I hope that post didn't sound unsupportive! I was just trying to make you see that you'll get there in the end

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
    I hope that post didn't sound unsupportive! I was just trying to make you see that you'll get there in the end
    Not at all...always good to know you're not the only one I know we will find a way somehow...think I just need to stress less!!x

Quote Originally Posted by ESP2B View Post
    Do you use TopCashback for any online purchases? I appreciate that you are probably not shopping lots while trying to save, but you can pick up free money just by going via their website whenever you order online. I have had over £200 I think in a year, £80 was for a new mobile phone contract but so many online places uses it and every little bit adds up so if you were buying anything online at all it's worth trying it.

And not to condone using this as a method of avoiding paying credit cards indefinitely, but is it worth opening another credit card to do a balance transfer/interest free for a year etc just to give yourself a bit of breathing space? We did this when we moved house just so we didn't have to pay all our furniture etc at once.

I will definately be looking into TopCashback! And yeah, I'm thinking openning up a new credit card may be the breathing space we need.x

Quote Originally Posted by ~ali~ View Post
    I will definately be looking into TopCashback! And yeah, I'm thinking openning up a new credit card may be the breathing space we need.x
    You can use it on so much - we've used it with hotels, holidays (Thomson), Orange, Marks & Spencers, Fat Face, Oasis, Sky upgrade, AA membership...the things like phones, Sky, Orange, holidays etc give you the most cashback. There's £15 if you take out Debenhams wedding insurance too!

Super Senior Member AnotherMrsBrown's Avatar

I agree with Gayle - I went through all our Direct Debits and seen what was really needed and shopped around when insurances were up for renewal rather than just leaving it with same company esp as they always put it up - after doing all that and setting a budget on food etc (not buying too much when not needed) we saved nearly £200 a month!

Im going to be looking into TopCashback aswell now thanks for the tip!
    FORUMTICKER.NET Ticker

Ali you are definitely not the only one. I'm also getting married this December and doing it all on a budget as I we're saving for a house too.

I'm planning on doing loads myself, i.e flowers, stationary. I suppose it depends on how creative you are. But it's saving me hundreds££££. There are loads of online tutorials to guide you.

Look for all inclusive deals at venues. Decide who you want there and stick to it. If my fiancé or I don't know them they're not invited, ie new boyfriend or girlfriend of nieces and nephews. Harsh maybe but again saving us hundreds.

Look in the January sales for any bargains too, I've pick up quite a lot already.

Also do you have any family or friends with talents? I'm lucky my cousin has a wedding band (and is brilliant!) and my uncle is a videographer, so that has cut down cost loads.

Don't worry you can totally have a beautiful wedding day on a budget, you just have to shop around. And to be honest it's loads of fun making loads of it yourself : )

I think the January blues have hit! We are getting married in December and doing it all on a tight budget (hopefully all in for £5000) but, even so I feel the money stress already!
    I only finished uni last year and although we both work full-time, our wages aren't great so we still have our student overdrafts and credit cards.
    We knew we were never going to have a spare £10k lying around and after being engaged for 2 years just decided it was now or never. Definately not postponing...but really beginning to wonder how we're gonna pay for everything!!

Hi Ali,

Don't worry it is possible.
    Our budget is also £5000 and we managed to stick to it.
    You will probably have to count every penny like us for a year but it is definitely possible.
    Stay positive .

x
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Stockton-on-Tees for work and Glasgow is where my Fiance is

There are so many of us in the same boat when it comes to saving for a wedding but the best thing to do is to make list! When trying to figure out what sort of budget we would have I never thought I would be able to have the wedding of my dreams (£15K!) as I had only just finished uni and started my first proper job but at least my H2B had a decent wage.

The first thing we done was list all our bills and outgoings and cut back where we could, even changed some things like insurance when they were ready for renewal to save what few precious pennies we could. The biggest area I managed to cut back on was my food bill, I basically set a budget and only took this money to the shop so that way I really had to think about what I was buying and couldn't fill the trolley with junk as I wouldn't be able to pay for it. Any change goes into a jar that I will open just before the wedding when final payments are due, it won't be much but will help.

Since I was a student I did rack up a few debts so I sat down and sorted out what I owed and then put it all on to an interest free credit card. This way it means that what I am paying off is hitting into the balance rather then paying off interest so the total is slowly coming down, I'll just need to keep doing balance transfers to new cards when need be... not exactly ideal but it is better then constant stress.

Finally came the actual wedding budget I listed it in order of what meant the most to us and stuff we could do without. I have also done a lot of DIY and this has saved us quite a bit. We are still looking at paying out over £12K but with carefully planning and saving we know that we will be able to pay it off before the wedding, maybe only being a few hundred short
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

Hey hun!! please dont feel down about this. I think lots of people are in the same boat. we are plannig our wedding just now and we are on a tight budget. while h2b earns a good wage I have recently went self employes and we really want to buy a house so a big wedding budget isnt possible. However this isnt a big issue for us. As a woman I prob shouldnt say this but I dont care in the slightest for expensive dresses and canapes lol. All I care about is marrying cos I love him. With that in mind we done a bit research and managed to get a great package at Gretna Green. Suitsme as I love the whole romatic eloping element of it! They have packages from under £500!!! We hae managedto get a package all in-minister, papers, venue, dvd, photos horse and cart for £1350 plus an extra £500 for meal. (We only having immediate family-£16) We are then going to have a party the following weekend which will cost £500 buffet and £100 dj! So everyone gets to join in the celebrations without the big expenditure. Selling on ebay etc defo buildsw up more funds but tbh its not necessary to go to this kind of hassle if you take a long hard look at whats truly important to you! Take your main priorities and compromise on whats not so important (for me a designer dress and shoes really isnt what the day is all about) and you will work it all out to suit you and your h2b!! There is no need to get into financial difficulty/debt for one day but some people feel they need to!! Please keep smiling and just enjoy the most special day of your life xxxx

ps can i ask where you are based??xx

Super Senior Member

Bulk buy food!

As a tiny example... I worked out I was spending £1.34 per day on a can of red bull from work. You can get a 8 pack of red bull for £5 when a deal is on at a supermarket or 7.99 from tesco.

So 5 weeks worth of buying single cans is £33.75 whereas multipacks on offer is £15 (even the pricey option is £24)

So think about if you do that with everything like pasta, tins etc.

A good idea is to even work out what the cost of the difference is and put it in a jar. When my H2B stopped smoking we still kept putting the money for it into a piggy bank and if we were ever having tough months we would empty the bank and have some extra cash. You could do this for wedding funds!

Quote Originally Posted by Kazia14 View Post
    Bulk buy food!

As a tiny example... I worked out I was spending £1.34 per day on a can of red bull from work. You can get a 8 pack of red bull for £5 when a deal is on at a supermarket or 7.99 from tesco.

So 5 weeks worth of buying single cans is £33.75 whereas multipacks on offer is £15 (even the pricey option is £24)

So think about if you do that with everything like pasta, tins etc.

A good idea is to even work out what the cost of the difference is and put it in a jar. When my H2B stopped smoking we still kept putting the money for it into a piggy bank and if we were ever having tough months we would empty the bank and have some extra cash. You could do this for wedding funds!
    What great advice! me and h2b are terrible for picking up bits and pieces here!! I would never have thought of that for saving! xx

Thanks for all the advice girls...I think its just that January feeling. We have never had any money but we always find a way to get the things we want eventually

I have noticed food is definately somewhere we can save! We are always just throwing things we don't really need in the trolley.

Stockton-on-Tees for work and Glasgow is where my Fiance is

Thanks for all the advice girls...I think its just that January feeling. We have never had any money but we always find a way to get the things we want eventually

I have noticed food is definately somewhere we can save! We are always just throwing things we don't really need in the trolley.
    That's why I never send H2B shopping alone when I am around, he comes home with food but no actual meals!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

Some great advice here girls!!

When it comes to the wedding, like Gayle said - think of what you really want. We're not having chair covers or favours, partly because they're a bit pointless and secondly they're an unneeded expense. I'm not giving folk a favour - they're getting a 3 course meal and drinks! Anyway most weddings I've been to, the favours have either been left or shoved in a drawer and cleared out at a later date!!

Other things I've saved money on are invites - vistaprint!! If you sign up to them you get loads of offers. I ended up getting save the dates for free, and once I've sorted out a time for my wedding I'm going to order invites in batches when I get offers through. Also, I've went to bhs for bridesmaid dresses - went through Quidco (which is the same as topcash) and got 8% cashback and 20% off dress prices!!

Do your own hair and makeup, or get someone you trust to do it for you for free or a small fee! Maybe try a local college who do beauty?

Flowers - go for fake - they're cheaper!! Hair accessories - don't need to be from v expensive shops!! Even if you have an old brooch that may have been your grandmothers etc, it doesn't cost much to have something like this changed into a hair accessory.

Super Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jenij07 View Post
    What great advice! me and h2b are terrible for picking up bits and pieces here!! I would never have thought of that for saving! xx
    We were so bad for it. H2B was basically 'nipping to the shops' every evening to get something. It really helps

I can only support the Topcashback comment...we have used it for the last 3 years or so and have accumulated nearly £800 in cash back!!! Its used for every little online purchase and is also great whenever insurance is due as you can get up to £60 back....really worth looking into!
    Anita & Grant 26th of May 2011

Discovered latst night 6% cashback on Topcashback for Sandals! As we are just about to book honeymoon this is ace news! Doesn't get paid til after trip but 6% of £4k is welcome at anytime.

January sucks!!
    But you can do it!! Where there's a will, there's a way!! xx

Senior Platinum Member

this topcashback sounds good, how does it work? you just buy stuff and they give you money?? a bit too good to be true sounding

xx
    Last edited by mrs breslin to be; 24-01-2012 at 07:57 PM.
    Getting Married at Lochside House - 15th June 2013

Senior Platinum Member

*bump*
    Getting Married at Lochside House - 15th June 2013

Super Senior Member

(pouts) We don't have top cash here. But I wonder if you can use it at Tesco as OH does his grocery shop online. I should check that out!