Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Songs BANNED at your Wedding

Default Songs BANNED at your Wedding

I played nearly 5,000 tunes in 2011 (over 2,000 different tracks were requested).
    I have just compiled the Top 100. The full list can be viewed here: Top 100

It is important to me to know what songs you do not want playing on your Big Day so I thought it would be interesting to look again at the most BANNED songs.

Here is the list:
    The most BANNED songs from 2011.
    Dancing Queen - Abba
    Come on Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners
    Cha Cha Slide - DJ Casper
    Macarena - Los del Río
    Any - Robbie Williams
    500 Miles (I'm Gonna Be) - The Proclaimers
    The Time Warp - The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Last year the list also included Tina Turner, The Village People, Bryan Adams and The Prodigy.

I know there is a lot of discussion on this forum about First Dances but I wonder what songs Brides-to-be have told their DJ or Band not to play.

I am interested to see what songs you have also requested to be BANNED (or not to be played)... along with any reasons for the decision.

All the best

Lee Live
    www.lee-live.com
    Last edited by Lee-Live.com; 14-01-2012 at 08:05 AM.
    Lee Live (Wedding DJ ~ Ceilidh Caller ~ Singer)
    www.lee-live.com
    First Dances in 4K Ultra HD
    Photographs at Venues

Super Senior Member Greigorysgirl's Avatar

We gave our wedding DJ two restrictions;

No songs with a dance (YMCA, Macarena, Cha Cha Slide etc)
    No Football songs (500 Miles, Simply the Best etc)

He did play 'Congratulations' while we cut the cake which I HATED and had I known he would do this before then, then that would have been included on the banned songs!

x
    Engaged 7th September 2010
    Wedding Day 12th November 2011

Super Senior Platinum Member SpecialSundae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greigorysgirl View Post
    He did play 'Congratulations' while we cut the cake which I HATED and had I known he would do this before then, then that would have been included on the banned songs!
    I hadn't thought of having a song for cutting the cake! I think we're doing that with our friend at the piano, so hopefully we can choose something more tasteful.

We're putting together "Play" and "Please do not play" lists. I'm not a big fan of quite a lot of stereotypical "wedding" music, so we discussed that with our DJ from the off.
    Fairy Gokmother

Quote Originally Posted by Greigorysgirl View Post
    We gave our wedding DJ two restrictions;

No songs with a dance (YMCA, Macarena, Cha Cha Slide etc)
    No Football songs (500 Miles, Simply the Best etc)

x
    I always have to check with the B&G before any such songs are played no matter who asks for them.
    It is a shame about Penny Arcade by Roy Orbison. Lots of people love dancing to that one... but it is now consider a football song too! Got to be careful.

Lee
    Lee Live (Wedding DJ ~ Ceilidh Caller ~ Singer)
    www.lee-live.com
    First Dances in 4K Ultra HD
    Photographs at Venues

Stockton-on-Tees for work and Glasgow is where my Fiance is

hadn't even given this a thought!

However saying that I'm having a band and from what I can remember from there songs there wasn't (m)any cheestastic/cringe worthy ones so I should be ok... may be huning it down tonight lol

The ONLY song I would have to ban would be 'Gimmie hope Joanna' as i hate it with a passion... don't know why every one insist in singing it to me just because it's my name!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

Quote Originally Posted by lil_jo84 View Post
    hadn't even given this a thought!

However saying that I'm having a band and from what I can remember from there songs there wasn't (m)any cheestastic/cringe worthy ones so I should be ok... may be huning it down tonight lol

The ONLY song I would have to ban would be 'Gimmie hope Joanna' as i hate it with a passion... don't know why every one insist in singing it to me just because it's my name!
    I am the same with Mhairi's wedding Can't stand the song and my dad want's it played as he likes it... It A DEFO NO NO NO from me.. As I am with you on that one Lil_jo84 it's only my name...

b2bclaire

Banning Amazing Grace, Caladonia, Hallelujah and anything by Elvis

Super Senior Member Greigorysgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialSundae View Post
    I hadn't thought of having a song for cutting the cake! I think we're doing that with our friend at the piano, so hopefully we can choose something more tasteful.

We're putting together "Play" and "Please do not play" lists. I'm not a big fan of quite a lot of stereotypical "wedding" music, so we discussed that with our DJ from the off.
    I just assumed the first song the DJ would play would be the first dance, which we were doing straight after cutting the cake, so I was surprised when he played 'Congratulations' which was totally cheesy and kinda took the moment away as all I was thinking was how much I hated it! lol

We also gave our DJ a "please play" list which I think covered most of the night. Our dance floor was packed all night so I am glad we took the time to think about this.

x
    Engaged 7th September 2010
    Wedding Day 12th November 2011

I've banned anything by the Proclaimers! And defo not having 'Loch Lomond' playing at the end! Every wedding I've ever been to has had that as the last song and I absolutely detest it!!

Senior Platinum Member

the songs that everyone is banning are the songs that im having... ie the cha cha slide, macarena

am i the only one who loves "line" songs??
    whenever im at a party and hear the cha cha slide im the first one up

the only songs ill be banning are any abba ones (especially dancing queen!)
    xx
    Getting Married at Lochside House - 15th June 2013

I love the cha cha slide too!! I will be having all cheesy songs at mine!! x

Senior Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by linzie32 View Post
    I love the cha cha slide too!! I will be having all cheesy songs at mine!! x
    YAY!! thought i was the only one
    im having my first dance, then doing the gaygordons to get into the spirit, then having some line dances (cha cha slide and other cheese) then having chart music including gaga, rhianna, kings of leon, arctic monkeys and the such like... into the wee hours
    this is my perfect party night lol

xx
    Getting Married at Lochside House - 15th June 2013

I love a bit of the proclaimers! wouldn't be a wedding without them!

Anything with boy bands banning, we are having a band and pretty much there set list is quite good, but will be meeting up with them soon to talk what we want played.
    I also love cha cha slide and the slosh gets everyone one up and in the mood, defo breaks the ice.

Loch lomond has been banned at our wedding - made sure this has been said to the band and put in writing to them! Think we're gonna finish with caledonia x

I'll probably get shot for this but i told my band if they plan ANYTHING by lady gaga they're fired! She drives me up the wall, good at what she does it's just i hate what she does.

anything by abba, or the vengaboys x

Quote Originally Posted by clarabanana View Post
    I'll probably get shot for this but i told my band if they plan ANYTHING by lady gaga they're fired! She drives me up the wall, good at what she does it's just i hate what she does.
    DITTO

cbaker1985 - anything by abba, or the vengaboys x
    DITTO

Lee Live the reason is only because I am stubborn when it comes to music! Anything "pop chart" (as in bands like Any Direction, Girls Aloud, Gaga) or cheesy is a no no no. And I know my guests, they feel the same and/or will dance to the band with music we like! Which will be a variety of genres from a variety of decades.

Planning til my head pops

I hate a lot of the older "traditional" wedding songs so we'll be asking for a lot of those not to be played, but similarly a lot of new rubbish (like the killers, black eyed bloody peas etc.) will be banned!! If I have to hear that "Tonight's going to be a good night" ever again I will scream!!!

I have a varied taste in music but it's mostly Rock and Metal so it'll be interesting to see what happens at our wedding! LOL I'm hoping our friends band will be able to play too which will defo mix it up a wee bit! I haven't really thought about this much but you girls have definitely got good advice and given me things to think about! I'd hate to be enjoying my wedding then all of a sudden hear a dreadful blast of Vengaboys or Westlife!!! LOL xx

We are going to be 'banning' 3 songs (well at the moment)

Truely Madly Deeply (any version) was h2b first dance with his ex
    Amazed by Lonestar was my first dance with ex

Love is all around cant be played unless everyone wants a weeping bride, it was played at my aunties funeral 16 years ago and I am still unable to listen to it xxx

I love all the cheesy stuff and will be up dancing all night

As long as Living on a Prayer is played I will be happy xxx

Anything by any mopey indie bands (Coldplay, Snow Patrol), any cliched wedding songs (Aerosmith, Lonestar, Bryan Adams), any gloomy female solo singers (Adele, Duffy, Dido), most chart stuff, most "party" stuff, most "traditional" first dances. OH has always said that he wants me to walk down the aisle to a string quartet version of Kraftwerk's "The Model" that he found on some obscure compilation album. I'm cool with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty_Wrong View Post
    Anything by any mopey indie bands (Coldplay, Snow Patrol), any cliched wedding songs (Aerosmith, Lonestar, Bryan Adams), any gloomy female solo singers (Adele, Duffy, Dido), most chart stuff, most "party" stuff, most "traditional" first dances. OH has always said that he wants me to walk down the aisle to a string quartet version of Kraftwerk's "The Model" that he found on some obscure compilation album. I'm cool with that!
    I like the sound of your banned list and your processional!
    Fairy Gokmother

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialSundae View Post
    I like the sound of your banned list and your processional!
    I figure it's traditional enough sounding that most folk will just think it's a nice tune, but identifiable enough that those who know it will have a wee giggle!

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty_Wrong View Post
    I figure it's traditional enough sounding that most folk will just think it's a nice tune, but identifiable enough that those who know it will have a wee giggle!
    One of my friends does it when we go to SuperCube for karaoke. :-D
    Fairy Gokmother