Thread: Mr and Mrs Wilson - 12th November

Default Mr and Mrs Wilson - 12th November

Since i loved reading them so much on the run up to my own wedding i thought it was about time to put up my own wee wedding report....

I flew back to Scotland 10 days before the wedding and every day was taken up with a mad rush of contacting suppliers, paying final balances, wrapping thankyou presents, hair trials, dress fittings and generally running round with my hair on fire. My husband flew in on the wednesday before the wedding and my intention was for all the preparation and stress to be over so that we could just enjoy the last few days together before the wedding with our famillies and friends. It actually worked out according to plan which was really lovely.

Wednesday evening

Paul's mum and uncle flew into Edinburgh at dinner time so i collected them and took them to where they were staying, had a cup of tea and a gossip.I don't get to see my MIL very often so it was a really nice time for us. I saw her dress which was amazing (as i didn't have a bridesmaid i got oddly excited about all the women's dresses!!) I left them there and returned to the airport to pick up Paul. I took him back to my mum's house where we were staying and we all had a nice late supper and a couple f glasses of wine before a nice early bed, ready for the madness of the next day.

Thursday

We were up and about early, Paul went with my dad to pick up the kilts, finalise some florist details and pay off the balances while i went with my mum to do a mad dash for some underwear (as the corset i had bought off the internet sat too high under the dress) I then went for my final final dress fitting and tried on my whole outfit together. I had a bit of a disaster earlier in the week where my pearl hairpiece didn't really sit right over the veil and my shoes were too low so my dress was dragging so had a bit of a panic session and had to find myself new shoes and a tiara. It all worked out perfectly in the end though and I had a little cry when i saw it all come together!
    Then, as my mum took the dress home, i went to pick up my Best man via the airport to pick up Paul's Best Man. When we got back to my mum's, all the boys went through their kilts to make sure they had everything. We gave out our gifts to them which were pocket watches and we had some home made soup and tea before piling back into the car off to the rehersal...

The rehersal was when it all became very real to me that i was actually getting married in a few days!! It hit me really hard and while Paul and the boys were laughing and joking with the priest, i had to have a little sit down and a quiet moment. My dad noticed and came to sit with me and give me a hug. It was really quite special for me to spend those few moments with him... then we got back up, went to the altr and went through the motions. It was a little confusing for us all because my entire bridal party (except me of course) was male, so by the time we had left the church, all of us had forgotten where we were meant to stand on the day!!!!

Anyway, off into town afterwards for a ghost tour and a meal at the Mussel and steak bar that we had organised for all for the guests who had arrived early and also a chance for our families to meet each other at long last. It was a fab evening and by all accounts everyone had a great time. The problem for me was that by the time the rehersal was over, all the nervous energy i had been running on for weeks had dissolved. I knew everything was going to be fine and sheer exhaustion set in. I started to wilt a bit adn by the end of the night i was too tired even to drive home so my poor dad had to stay on coke and drive my car back too! I did have an amazing sleep that night though

Friday

Friday morning dawned bright and early and it was off to the spa for me and my mum. I decided just to get right out of the house and away from everything for the day. It was really lovely. We had a swim and a sauna and a gossip, a couple of glasses of wine, a lovely lunch, a pedicure, a massage and a facial and a couple more glasses of wine By the end of the day i was completely blissed out and looking fresh and sparkly. Paul had spent the day with his friends that had travelled up and had the car packed with everything to give to the hotel. He checked in to the hotel just as we left and gave the staff all of the stationary, table plan, presents for mums etc and i went home with my mum.
    My best man came over to stay the night before and we went down to the village together to order a massive Chinese takeaway feast while my mum chilled the Champagne and dug out some dvd's. We then spent the evening watching films, pigging out and having a really good laugh. For me, it was the perfect way to spend my last night as a single lady. I was with my mum and my best friend and had a great time.
    Back at the hotel, paul and his best man were hosting all of the guests who had been arriving over the course of the day. Everyone went down to the bar for a couple of drinks. my dad went up to the hotel, as did all three of my brothers and by all accounts it was a great nght for them.
    I went to bed about midnight i think and fell straight asleep - no staying up half the night worrying for me, i was out for the count

Wedding Day

I slept in!! I'm not sure if many brides can claim that on their wedding morning but i did! I awoke to my mum standing over me saying, "your hair appointment is in twenty minutes. I thought you would have been up by now!"

I would love to say i sprang out of bed but i still continued to wander round my house in a leisurely daze. I was completely blissed out and not in my usual hurry. In fact, i think i remember saying to my mum "i'm allowed to be running late if i feel like, its my wedding day!" (i have no idea where this attitude came from, i'm usually like a little Hitler if i even think i'm running 30 seconds late)

Anyway, we made it to the hairdressers only 10 minutes late and i had a lovely cup of tea (very rock and roll) while she proceeded to make me beautiful. Nothing had sunk in and i was quite bemused by the fuss that everyone was making of me. The photographer has arrived by this point and my tea was swiftly replaced by a glass of pink bubbly and i was whisked into the make-up room where the very lovely girls made me look like even more of a princess!

When i left the salon, a nice old man who was sitting with his wife said to me " I wish you all the luck ad happiness in the world pet, you look just beautiful" I thought this was really lovely.

We got home and my dad had made a massive batch of bacon rolls which i promptly proceeded to chomp my way through. It was about 12 o'clock by this point and my mum, dad and best man had all gone to get ready. I was sat on the couch eating and drinking tea and watching my favourite film on the TV "Calamity Jane" when the photographer turned up at the house. I must have looked pretty funny. The whole house buzzing with excitement and me with a sandwich in one hand, a mug in the other, in full bridal make-up and ketchup on my jumper!

Once everyone else was ready, it was time for me to get into my dress. It hardly took any time at all and before i knew it, i was standing in front of my dad and best man and there is a brilliant photo of the look on their faces. I looked better than i ever though it was possible to look and i felt fatastic...

... except thats when all of my nerves decided to kick in. All at once!!! My knees started to give way and i had a couple of seconds where i couldn't catch my breath but after a couple of sips of Champage, all was right with the world again.

Oh dear....how amazing....Q tears at my desk!! All sounds amazing and cant wait til you put up some pictures xxx

Tears for me too!

Can't wait for the next installment and some pics!

xx

Super Senior Platinum Member missm2mrsf's Avatar

aaww sounds lovely so far, and l love the wee old man in hairdressers, bless! x

Senior Platinum Member

sounds like you had a great morning!

when i get excited about something i cant sleep and cant eat/drink so im hoping that im like you on my day

cant wait to see some photies

xx
    Getting Married at Lochside House - 15th June 2013

Sounds like you had a great build up to the wedding, can't wait to here the next instalment!

Can't wait to see photies too!

xx

Actual tears here! We want more...! xx

Fab, can't wait for the rest. I don't think I will be as calm as you were.

More, More!! And pictures!!!

I had a dream about this last night....but it was me in the hairdressers getting ready and we were running super late.....I had false teeth in and my nails were a mess......I think the anxiety dreams have started hehe!!!! xxx

Thanks for the lovely comments, it's really nice writing it all down and remembering everything again...

so anyway, where was I??

The photographer took a few photos in the house of my mum fussing over us and then i went to the computer to write a little message on facebook to the Groomsman who unfortunately couldn't make it. He had a heart attack a few weeks before and he only got out of the hospital on the friday before so there was no way he could make the journey which we were all gutted about. The photographer got a picture of me at the computer though so it was nice he was included somewhere! And just as i was finishing, the cars arrived and i was just desperate to get to the church so i just marched to the door, hitched up my dress and practically frog marched my dad to the car!

The bridal car was a beautiful white Rolls Royce Silver cloud which we chose because my mum had the same at her wedding) and the other was a Daimler Limo. It took quite a bit of manouvering to get me in and i was killing myself laughing because i kept toppling over and at one point had me feet hanging out the side of the car while my dad was pulling me from the other side, but eventually i was in and seated.
    The driver took us on a little drive round the village to give the other car time to get there first and we sat having a little chat with the driver, who also commented on how remarkably calm i was. He had thankfully broight a bottle of water as i was suddenly parched and having something to sip helped settle the building nerves that were jangling round my body. They were good nerves though, i don't know if that makes sense but i had butterflies and a wierd tingly sensation knowing that this was going to be the best thing that had ever happened to me!

When we arrived at the church, my mum and best man and two of my brothers who were the ushers were waiting at the doors and one of my brothers just gave me a massive hug and told me i looked amazing and he was so pleased for me. Unfotunately when he squeezed me, my dress had inched down a little bit and everyone had a laugh as the driver held my flowers and my mum had to help me wriggle the dress back into a secure position!! This made everyone in the church turn round to have a nosey about the hilarity at the back! (luckily i was looking much more dignified by this point)
    My mum and brothers took their seats and then the piper started. If i'm honest, getting down the aisle was a bit of a blur. All my nerves had gone and i couldn't stop grinning and waving at people. All i remember is how beautiful Highland Cathedral was and how all my nerves disappeared as soon as i saw Paul at the end of the aisle grinning like an idiot right back at me!
    Again, the ceremony went far too quickly. Our priest was fantastic and everyone commented, especially the non-religious people about how lovely and personal it was. Also, the nice thing about the priest is that the whole ceremony was conducted from an engle where we could se everyone in the congregation. Neither of us could stop smiling and nudging each other through the whole thing. And thankfully everyone remembered their places too!!

All too soon the ceremony was over and before we knew it we were outside getting confetti thrown over us and a hundred people taking pictures.

Once all the family photograps had been done and everyone had started making their way to to the hotel which was 5 minutes up the road, Paul and I spent half an hour with the photographer getting some bridal portraits done. The photographer was excellent and if there's one piece of advice i would give to everyone is to make sure they hit it off with their photographer as its a very personal time. We were reeling from the excitement of the church and just getting used to the fact that we were really finally married and he really respected that and made the photos enjoyable and not a chore. He also worked really quickly which was important to us as we had 80 guests that we were just dying to spend some time with.
    After this, we got back in the car and made our way to the hotel.

From the minute we pulled up it was like being a celebrity! There was a red carpet rolled out and the wedding planner and MC were waiting at the bottom with a glass of champagne for us. Our MC introduced himself and told us that he would guide us through the day and we had to do nothing but enjoy ouselves.
    The hotel is glass fronted so our arrival saw everyone gathering at the windows and spilling out the door to take photos and raise their glass to us.
    We were whisked off to do a couple more shots in the gardens while we still had the light do do them and then we finally made it back inside to have a chat with people (or more accurately, i had to run to the loo!)

We opted for a short drinks reception so no sooner than we got a glass of wine, we were guided to our place for the recieving line. This was one of the best parts of the day for me as i got to speak to everyone. In fact, i ran over time by about 40 minutes because i was so busy chatting away. We also had our fingerprint tree laid out here so that everyone who went through could help us create a beautiful picture for us. Everyone thought this was a really novel idea and i'm pleased to say that we got a fingerprint of everyone, even our youngest guest at just 9months!

Once everyone was in the room, the doors were closed and Paul and i stood waiting for our grand entrance. At this point i noticed that my clevage was stuffed full of confetti and as the piper turned to signal to us that the doors were about to open, he found my new husband with his hand down my dress trying to dig it all out!! This gave us a good laugh and the piper even struggled to get the first few notes out as the door opened!

walking in to my amazing room filled with all of the people we love most in the world was absolutely overwhelming and i cried for the first, but not the last time that day. Eveyone was clapping and cheering and looking at us with so much love that i got really emotional. It was truly beautiful and one of the most precious moments of the day which i have stored in my memory.

The speeches were brilliant, my dad's was really touching, the best man's was hilarious and my Husbands was so special to me. I never knew that these men could be so creative and they all did me so proud. I really was the luckiest girl to be hearing so many nice thigs about myself and my husband.

Love it.....although I need some photos.....not words, so I stop crying!!!!! You must have had an amazing day!! xxx

it was amazing, while i type up the next bit, you can see the pictures at:

http://www.photoboxgallery.com/lushw...m_id=998729057

the password is: houstoun1211

Beeeeeeeeeeeeautiful! xxxx

report is brilliant, pictures are beautiful!! loved your dress and veil,

My stupid work laptop won't let me see the pics, I'll have to wait until next week!

xx

Super Senior Platinum Member BalbirnieDreamer's Avatar

Lovely pics and fab report!
    Lx
    Craig and Laura's Wedding Website
    16th of June 2012

Aww beautiful pictures, and sounds like you had a wonderful day x

Loved reading this. Made me well up. Funny how weddings or mention of them makes me to do that now!! Love the old man in the hairdresser and quiet moment with dad. So sweet x