Thread: Jam favours

Default Jam favours

I was thinking about doing jam for my wedding favours but I thought I better give it a wirl first before I start buying 100 jars and ive done it, it was sooo simple and tastes delish rather proud of myself

it'll be in much smaller jars thou
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo.jpg  

Fantastic! You could even tie the place name labels onto the pots and have them do both jobs! x

louisa

thats a fantastic idea thanks

Oh yum! What kind did you make? x

awesome.

I would love jam favours
    Getting Married at the Lochside House Hotel on April 27th 2013.

Default Jam jar Tops

Quote Originally Posted by louisa67 View Post
    Fantastic! You could even tie the place name labels onto the pots and have them do both jobs! x
    Depending on your colour/theme you could cut up some fabric squares and stick them on top with an elastic band/ribbon. Ye olde jam jar style.

Well done you - is jam making easy ? or do you need an industrial amount of sugar ?
    28/07/2012
    MissBtoMrsC

it was sooo easy

its 1kg of jam sugar 800grams of the fruit I used strawberries and a knob of butter took me 20mins if that

might try a few different recipies and see wot one works out best I'm going to try rhubarb and ginger nxt

Raspberry Jam is easiest to make due to the level of pectin in the fruit. Strawberry jam is quite hard to get it to set so well done you!!! I wish I loved jam more as jam making is really fun! They will make lovely favours! xx
    xxx Bob&Fiona 5/11/11 xxx

This is what my partner and I would like to have for our favours. We thought about buying it ready made but if its quite easy to do, I might give it a try myself! Makes it that bit more special I suppose. What would you use for labels? xx

Alot of cookware shops or online shops sell lovely jam labels! Just try a wee google search for them and i'm sure you will find something to match your colours etc. Fxx
    xxx Bob&Fiona 5/11/11 xxx

cool thank you

You've inspired me to try this!

Just found this site http://eatdrinkchic.com/post.cfm/diy...ng-free-labels. All the hard work's been done for you, all you need to do is print off the labels

Leigh x

I made lemon curd and an apple and tomato chutney for our favours and they were a huge hit. I have tried to make jam in the past and not with the best results! I'd made the lemon curd and chutney before and had been complimented on them so decided to go with what I know. Late in the planning we realised that we'd have to make material bags to hold the jars as the colour of the lemon curd and chutney did not fit in with our colour scheme!! My Mum did a fabulous job of making the bags. The jars also became our place settings. I made labels from black cardboard and white name place cards and I handwrote everyones name on them.

Quote Originally Posted by NewMrsF View Post
    I made lemon curd and an apple and tomato chutney for our favours and they were a huge hit. I have tried to make jam in the past and not with the best results! I'd made the lemon curd and chutney before and had been complimented on them so decided to go with what I know. Late in the planning we realised that we'd have to make material bags to hold the jars as the colour of the lemon curd and chutney did not fit in with our colour scheme!! My Mum did a fabulous job of making the bags. The jars also became our place settings. I made labels from black cardboard and white name place cards and I handwrote everyones name on them.

NewMrsF

How did you make the curd this sounds interesting

Thanks

Amy

Quote Originally Posted by leighb8971 View Post
    You've inspired me to try this!

Just found this site http://eatdrinkchic.com/post.cfm/diy...ng-free-labels. All the hard work's been done for you, all you need to do is print off the labels

Leigh x

I forgot about this page clearly my method of notes don't work lol

Amy

Default Lemon Curd recipe

Makes about 450g / 1lb
    Ingredients:
    3 lemons, 200g caster sugar, 115g unsalted butter (diced), 2 large eggs, 2 large egg yolks

Method:
    1. Wash the lemons, then finely grate the rind and place in a large heatproof bowl. Using a sharp knife, halve the lemons and squeeze the juice into the bowl. Set over a pan of gently simmering water and add the sugar and butter. Stir until the sugar has dissolved and the butter melted.
    2. Put the eggs and yolks in a bowl and beat together with a fork. Pour the eggs through a sieve into the lemon mixture, and whisk well until thoroughly combined.
    3. Stir the mixture constantly over the heat until the lemon curd thickens and lightly coats the back of a wooden spoon.
    4. Remove the pan from the heat and pour the curd into small, warmed sterilized jars. Cover, seal and label. Store in a cool, dark place, ideally in the fridge. Use within 3 months. (Once opened, store in the fridge)

Hope this comes in useful!
    xx

SUCH a great idea!!! Well done you!!

Vx

Looks good, you may need to check that your venue is ok with it? My venue won't accept any home made sweets/cakes for a candy buffet...just a thought